+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD or Postpone landing?

diegohr

Sep 12, 2017
Hi,

I'm inland CEC, received my PPR on Sep 13th, passport has been sent on Sep 15th, and now I'm waiting for COPR to come back. Question is:

I have a 2 weeks trip booked to Brazil at the end of November and I won't have a PR Card at this time. My options would be:

1) Travel with a COPR and do the landing process on my way back to Canada. Is it ok to do it? Do I need an eTa for it? I'm current hold a Open Work Permit valid until Feb 2018.

2) Ask for a PRTD as soon as I arrive in Brazil, but it most likely I won't have time enough for the process, as I have only 2 weeks there, and apparently processing time for it is about 15 days.

Thank you! :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Agreed with previous post do your landing on your return from Brazil given PRTD processing times like anything to do with immigration are notoriously unreliable and are just estimates. Just of course make sure you take everything you need with you for the landing on the return.

Reactions: diegohr

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Hi,

I'm inland CEC, received my PPR on Sep 13th, passport has been sent on Sep 15th, and now I'm waiting for COPR to come back. Question is:

I have a 2 weeks trip booked to Brazil at the end of November and I won't have a PR Card at this time. My options would be:

1) Travel with a COPR and do the landing process on my way back to Canada. Is it ok to do it? Do I need an eTa for it? I'm current hold a Open Work Permit valid until Feb 2018.

2) Ask for a PRTD as soon as I arrive in Brazil, but it most likely I won't have time enough for the process, as I have only 2 weeks there, and apparently processing time for it is about 15 days.

Thank you! :)
2-3 weeks for approval
1-2 weeks for passport back

for eTA requirement
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/brazil-bresil/highlights-faits/2016/2016-11-01-ETA-AVE.aspx?lang=eng
  • have held a Canadian visitor visa in the past 10 years;or
  • currently have a valid United States nonimmigrant visa.
If you sent your passport (not copy), you will receive a one entry immigrant visa along with CoPR

You should postpone landing, you will have enough time then you have land for PR Card with no pressure
Since you have working/visiting, you have 1/2 per day living/staying in Canada for Citizenship purpose in the furure

Last edited: