+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD- No COPR

stankadank

Sep 29, 2015
Hello

I have found myself in a difficult situation

I landed in Canada on April 26, I had to urgently travel back to Australia in early June. My COPR was lost (i dropped it on the street by accident like an idiot)

My PR card was supposed to arrive June 10, but on June 30 I got a photo request, they are now saying they wont look at the photos for 5 weeks as they are only "up to May 23rd"

Do I have any options at all here? How can I complete the PRTD form without my COPR?

I am still paying rent and bills in Canada, I can see that I am a Permanent Resident online.

So frustrating- any help would be greatly appreciated.

shazfa

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2014
Doc's Request.
10-01-2015
AOR Received.
31-12-2014
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
05-01-2015
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
11-03-2017
Passport Req..
03-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2017
Cant you resend the photos again to them from Australia to process the PR card ??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Depending how urgently you need to travel back to Canada, you may need to travel to USA and cross via land border. CBSA should be able to confirm your PR status simply from your passport bio info and any other info you can provide them.

Or if you obtained an eTA prior to becoming a PR, you can check if it's still active and if so, try your luck flying directly to Canada by posing as foreign national (not a PR) to the airline. Some have been successful in doing this. Some have reported eTAs were cancelled shortly after becoming a PR. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/status.asp?s=10

To get PR TD you may need to first get a replacement of your COPR or Verification of Status document. You can certainly ask the local visa office you're working with how to continue processing the PR TD, but just keep in mind it may take much longer than normal.

stankadank

Sep 29, 2015
OK just in case someone finds themselves in a similar situation.

On the letter that they send you that comes with your COPR, they state your COPR number

this enabled me to fill out the form, and I just supplied a ton of evidence with it to say that I was in Australia temporarialy.

it took 3 weeks to come, which I believe is about a week over what I was told, but right on the global processing time standard

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
OK just in case someone finds themselves in a similar situation.

On the letter that they send you that comes with your COPR, they state your COPR number

this enabled me to fill out the form, and I just supplied a ton of evidence with it to say that I was in Australia temporarialy.

it took 3 weeks to come, which I believe is about a week over what I was told, but right on the global processing time standard
A colleague/friend of mine is stuck abroad and has no access to his COPR. Wants to apply for PRTD from abroad. Is he eligible to apply in the absence of COPR document? He has front and back copy of PR Card though. (has lost his PR Card abroad)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A colleague/friend of mine is stuck abroad and has no access to his COPR. Wants to apply for PRTD from abroad. Is he eligible to apply in the absence of COPR document? He has front and back copy of PR Card though. (has lost his PR Card abroad)
His PR card info should be sufficient to apply for a PRTD.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Think he only has a copy. Should be OK although I would include proof that you reported the loss of PR card to the police and CIC.
There is a question in the form for PRTD which asks if the applicant was ever issued a RRT (Returning Resident Permit) or a Travel Document? Yes or No.
If the applicant was a Study permit holder or Work permit holder in the past, then should the answer be yes because Canadian Work visa or Study visa from the past is a travel document right? Thank you

kmuhammadsaad

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Hi quick question,

I did a soft landing in canada and returned. Now i am applying for a PRTD. I don't have two proofs of residency for my kids who travelled with me. Would their passport and COPR be enough to apply for PRTD?

I'm attaching my and my spouse tenancy agreement & driving license with the application.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is a question in the form for PRTD which asks if the applicant was ever issued a RRT (Returning Resident Permit) or a Travel Document? Yes or No.
If the applicant was a Study permit holder or Work permit holder in the past, then should the answer be yes because Canadian Work visa or Study visa from the past is a travel document right? Thank you
Yes the answer is yes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi quick question,

I did a soft landing in canada and returned. Now i am applying for a PRTD. I don't have two proofs of residency for my kids who travelled with me. Would their passport and COPR be enough to apply for PRTD?

I'm attaching my and my spouse tenancy agreement & driving license with the application.

Thanks
You already have a tenancy agreement and you did a short landing? When does your tenancy start? PRTD could take a while. I would include an explanation with your children’s application showing the tenancy agreement and that they will be living there as well.

kmuhammadsaad

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
You already have a tenancy agreement and you did a short landing? When does your tenancy start? PRTD could take a while. I would include an explanation with your children’s application showing the tenancy agreement and that they will be living there as well.
I stayed there for three months , though the tenancy agreement was for six months. Due to emergency , i had to return and cut short the lease. How would i prove that my children were with me? I have there signed COPR , would that suffice?