+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD in los angeles

sufgan

Jun 23, 2015
Hi guys,

I became PR on Nov 2 2017. I got a job offer recently which requires me to go to Santa Clara for first two weeks of Jan.

option 1: Is it possible to return to Canada on 3rd week of Jan through greyhound (as I dont have car) without PRTD. I know its not possible through flight.

option 2: How long will it take for the los angeles office to process PRTD if I send it through mail.

I have an Indian passport (non-visa exempt country)

Thanks for your time guys.

Carswim88

Mar 15, 2018
Hi, i have similar situation. Im currently in canada roght now and processing my pr card renewal. I have a flight going to LA on april 12 and my new pr card will not arrive by then. So my optionnis to get a prtd when I get to LA or drive from US to Canada.

Did you get any solution from yours? Is it possible to just go to LA VAS office and get a PRTD in one day?

global_citizen_1

Apr 30, 2018
Hi @Carswim88

I'm in a similar situation. Please let me know how you dealt with the situation.

I heard it takes about a month to issue a PRTD in LA, please let me know if you could get it sooner.

Carswim88

Mar 15, 2018
Hi @Carswim88

I'm in a similar situation. Please let me know how you dealt with the situation.

I heard it takes about a month to issue a PRTD in LA, please let me know if you could get it sooner.
Hi! Yes it takes 7-31 days to process PRTD in LA. So i ended up getting new flight tickets and drove to the border from seatle to vancouver and just showed my landing immigrant papers.

global_citizen_1

Apr 30, 2018
Hi! Yes it takes 7-31 days to process PRTD in LA. So i ended up getting new flight tickets and drove to the border from seatle to vancouver and just showed my landing immigrant papers.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt a minute! so we don't need a PRTD if we drive up to the border? the stamped CoPR is sufficient?

I had an upcoming business trip to LA which I thought I couldn't do now because they need new photos for my PR card. But what you say seems like a doable work around for now.

Carswim88

Mar 15, 2018
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt a minute! so we don't need a PRTD if we drive up to the border? the stamped CoPR is sufficient?

I had an upcoming business trip to LA which I thought I couldn't do now because they need new photos for my PR card. But what you say seems like a doable work around for now.
Yes, and it was fast too. They would just check your landing immigrant papers which you got before and receipt of the PR card renewal. Definitely it’s doable.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Technically all you need is a passport, and just with that CBSA can look up your PR status at any land border.

Having the COPR just makes the process a lot quicker and easier for CBSA.

global_citizen_1

Apr 30, 2018
Yes, and it was fast too. They would just check your landing immigrant papers which you got before and receipt of the PR card renewal. Definitely it’s doable.
Ok, cool!! Thank you for the info.

I'm applying for my first PR card, but I have a letter asking for photos so I guess that would serve as proof too.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
@Rob_TO

Did you do a similar crossing? Asking cause that would give double my sample size :p
Thousands have done this, there are tons of such reports all over this forum.

PR TD forms states very clearly it's for commercial transport only. At the land border CBSA has ample ways to confirm your PR status and allow you entry.

kylgrcia2

May 21, 2018
Hey guys, Can anyone help me? give me some information or suggestions? Please

In my case, I travelled to Los Angeles with my expired PR card. And I knew that I couldn't instantly go back to Canada because of my invalid PR card. So I did end up staying longer because of PRTD. I applied last April 27th, and they mentioned that I have to wait maximum of 2 weeks but its been 3 weeks now and I haven't heard anything from Canadian Embassy. I have been tracking my application through online/phone every single week but they couldn't give an information about my application. These whole process of waiting for my PRTD has been really frustrating. I got work waiting for me for a month now and I honestly about to lose it if I can't figure out what's going on to my application. I really need help? I really do

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys, Can anyone help me? give me some information or suggestions? Please

In my case, I travelled to Los Angeles with my expired PR card. And I knew that I couldn't instantly go back to Canada because of my invalid PR card. So I did end up staying longer because of PRTD. I applied last April 27th, and they mentioned that I have to wait maximum of 2 weeks but its been 3 weeks now and I haven't heard anything from Canadian Embassy. I have been tracking my application through online/phone every single week but they couldn't give an information about my application. These whole process of waiting for my PRTD has been really frustrating. I got work waiting for me for a month now and I honestly about to lose it if I can't figure out what's going on to my application. I really need help? I really do
Why not fly to a border town and cross by land?