+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD in France, Paris

Cyril_mtl

Aug 27, 2018
I have my permanent residency in Canada, work there for the last 5+ years, had to travel to France to see
the family, but my new PR card isn't here yet (still waiting after 100 days).
I made a PRTD request a the Embassy in Paris (by vfsglobal) as soon as I landed, Aug 14, with lots of document as proof of my PR.
And yet we are Aug 27, and no new from the Embassy, vfsglobal still show my request as being processed
by the visa section of the Embassy.
It is impossible to communicate with anyone at the Embassy.
I don't know if I will by able to travel back to Canada Aug 31.

Are they always that slow ? I read the it use to take half a day to get the Travel Document in the past.
Anyway to make them move and get me back my passport ?

If I have to stay longer in France, it will became complicated and expensive for me (missing work, temporary
place to stay, new plane ticket, differents obligations and appointment in Montreal ...)

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have my permanent residency in Canada, work there for the last 5+ years, had to travel to France to see
the family, but my new PR card isn't here yet (still waiting after 100 days).
I made a PRTD request a the Embassy in Paris (by vfsglobal) as soon as I landed, Aug 14, with lots of document as proof of my PR.
And yet we are Aug 27, and no new from the Embassy, vfsglobal still show my request as being processed
by the visa section of the Embassy.
It is impossible to communicate with anyone at the Embassy.
I don't know if I will by able to travel back to Canada Aug 31.

Are they always that slow ? I read the it use to take half a day to get the Travel Document in the past.
Anyway to make them move and get me back my passport ?

If I have to stay longer in France, it will became complicated and expensive for me (missing work, temporary
place to stay, new plane ticket, differents obligations and appointment in Montreal ...)

Thanks.
It generally takes at least a few weeks to get a PRTD. You can try to ask them to hurry up but be prepared to change your travel plans.

Cyril_mtl

Aug 27, 2018
Finally after writing to lots of people (my deputy, the minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship, the embassy of Canada on Facebook ,,,)
I finally got an answer yesterday evening from somebody in the minister that because of volume and complexity of the applications in Paris office, it may take time ... however my PRTD application has been finalized and I would get my passport in a near future.
And the facebook admin for the embassy page that redirect me to an email where I got mostly the same answer, that my passport has been return to vfsglobal with my PRTD.
So I will go get my passport the day before I will fly back to Canada.

If I had to droped my request later (not on the same day I landed), not prepared it before leaving (most of the document would be difficult to get from France) I would have to stay here longer. As a french citizen with my work laptop it would have been 'ok', but expensive.

Next step, waiting for my new PR card being processed, and doing the citizenship paperwork, maybe i will have a nice canadian passport for my next vacation in France.

Cyril_mtl

Aug 27, 2018
My PRTD request was made Aug 14 at Paris, and according to the PRTD sticker in my passport, it has been issue Aug 27, just in time for me to get my passport back and fly back Aug 31.
It is good for one year and multiple entries. I expect to get my PR card back before that expire :)
Now I am going to do the citizenship request, which seems to take a year too.