+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD for new PR

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Hi everyone

I've tried to read as much on here as I can.

I have final PR interview on Wednesday next week. At end of Sept I'll be travelling for a month, the last two weeks in London.

There will be a seven week gap between me becoming PR and re-entering.

I'm weighing up whether to risk my ETA still being active for the flight back to Canada, or fly to US and hire a car (much less convenient, no direct flights to Buffalo from London, UK).

Is two weeks in London long enough to get a PRTD?

Thanks for anyone with recent experience.

(And surely the airlines should accept CoPR as evidence!)

Will

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone

I have final PR interview on Wednesday next week. At end of Sept I'll be travelling for a month, the last two weeks in London.

I'm weighing up whether to risk my ETA still being active for the flight back to Canada, or fly to US and hire a car (much less convenient, no direct flights to Buffalo from London, UK).

Will
I found this by simply googling if a eta is still active after becoming a PR

https://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eta/applicationQuery?lang=en&_ga=1.205071059.234167906.1423250354

Reactions: Will_PA

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone

Will
Hi

No one can tell you whether the eTA will still be valid or not. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

And no one can tell you that the PRTD will be issued within 2 weeks.

The COPR is not accepted by airlines because it is an easy document to fake and is not verifiable. It is just a piece of paper. You can find a copy on the internet, add your details, stick a picture on it and sign it. The airline couldn't look it up or verify it in any way.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
eTA cancelled already! Gonna try for PRTD in London. They should just give all new PRs new temporary eTA for 60 days. Such a waste of energy!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eTA cancelled already! Gonna try for PRTD in London. They should just give all new PRs new temporary eTA for 60 days. Such a waste of energy!
How about direct flight from London UK to Detroit in Michigan State and cross that bridge/tunnel to Windsor, Ontario instead?

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
How about direct flight from London UK to Detroit in Michigan State and cross that bridge/tunnel to Windsor, Ontario instead?
Yeah it's 1250 GBP direct, plus longer hire car drive from Detroit to Toronto.

I've booked my flight to Toronto now and will try to do fast PRTD :)

Hope they come out with a fix for this for future applicants

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Short landing is a choice. The system is set-up for people to move and remain in Canada so wouldn't expect any changes.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Short landing is a choice. The system is set-up for people to move and remain in Canada so wouldn't expect any changes.
Many things in life are choices to be made by individuals and families. To have children are also choices. Yet, the new BC government choose to provide financial assistance to those families with needs of daycare for their children.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
???

I'm inland. I've been living in Canada for almost a year.

Regardless, even if I just arrived outland from abroad, it's 2018, and international travel by air isn't unreasonable.

System isn't fit for purpose:

https://www.cba.org/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=14f4275f-da02-45a1-9cfe-878757e33ffb
Sorry thought you had just landed. Many never qualiified for ETA so giving people an ETA for 60 days is a lot more work than assuming people won't travel for 2 months after getting their PR knowing they won't have a PR card. If you only extend ETA for those who previously had an ETA that would be unfair.

redpanda505

Sep 27, 2017

Hey how did you go?? I'm in aus without a pr card and 2 weeks to apply for prtd but am having trouble with the documents and worried about it not processing in time!

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Hey how did you go?? I'm in aus without a pr card and 2 weeks to apply for prtd but am having trouble with the documents and worried about it not processing in time!
It took 4 days in London - I started another thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-london-experience.591582/#post-7329072

When I flew out someone from BA (my airline) asked if I had a valid eTA and I said yes. Noone checked my passport long enough to see the PRTD. Bit of a risk, but personally if I couldn't get it done in time, I would just chance it.

redpanda505

Sep 27, 2017
It took 4 days in London - I started another thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-london-experience.591582/#post-7329072

When I flew out someone from BA (my airline) asked if I had a valid eTA and I said yes. Noone checked my passport long enough to see the PRTD. Bit of a risk, but personally if I couldn't get it done in time, I would just chance it.
When it asks for my sin number to check my tax can I supply my old sin number which all my tax returns from the last 2 years or does it have to be the one I got a couple weeks ago after becoming PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When it asks for my sin number to check my tax can I supply my old sin number which all my tax returns from the last 2 years or does it have to be the one I got a couple weeks ago after becoming PR?
No they want the new one you received after you got PR.