+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD expired due to Covid 19

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Hello,

Myself and my wife are landed PRs. We are currently in India. As PR cards expired in 2018, we have been issued PRTD (R1 category) even though we applied on H&C basis.

We were about to move to Canada on 28th April 2020 but due to this Covid 19 Pandemic and world wide lockdown, our flight was cancelled. Meanwhile, my husband’s PRTD got expired. During this Covid-19 pandemic, uprooting ourselves to settle over there and to travel with 2 small kids (2 years & 5 years old) as well as a senior citizen (70 years) at life risk seems difficult.

As the second wave has already started in Canada, the prevailing situation is not yet safe. And many flights carry asymptomatic Covid-19 positive passengers. It is difficult to maintain advisories declared by the World Health Organizations & Health Ministry in order to prevent transmission of Covid-19 during air travel with kids & senior citizens as they are at higher risk.

We waited enough expecting the stabilization of the Covid-19 situation and free movement with starting of all international flights as we have to travel with kids and senior citizen.

Considering the above facts is it advisable to postpone our travelling till safe period? It will led to expiry of my wife's travel document (5th November2020). Otherwise she will have to fly to Canada before 5th November 2020 with the life risk of my family.

Please provide appropriate guidance in this tough situation. So we can save our PR Status.

Thanks

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You should use your PRTDs before they expire. As PRs you are exempt from the travel restrictions and there is nothing stopping you from coming to Canada.

Reactions: mashulia_26

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
You should use your PRTDs before they expire. As PRs you are exempt from the travel restrictions and there is nothing stopping you from coming to Canada.
Ya,
But one side they say to follow WHO and local health authorities advisories. It will be at life risk to travel as now cases are rising in Canada. And as medical professional I have seen people suffering and loosing battle against Covid 19. It's horrible.

Second for my expired PRTD they say to contact local embassy. But there is no reply from them.

So my wife has to travel alone with kids which is difficult.

As of now my Father is widower and nobody is there to look after him. And he can't travel with my wife even though he has multiple entry visitor visa.

Please guide.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ya,
But one side they say to follow WHO and local health authorities advisories. It will be at life risk to travel as now cases are rising in Canada. And as medical professional I have seen people suffering and loosing battle against Covid 19. It's horrible.

Second for my expired PRTD they say to contact local embassy. But there is no reply from them.

So my wife has to travel alone with kids which is difficult.

As of now my Father is widower and nobody is there to look after him. And he can't travel with my wife even though he has multiple entry visitor visa.

Please guide.
Ultimately this is going to be your decision. We cannot tell you if IRCC will give you new PRTDs or how long they will be valid for.

Did you contact the local embassy in April as soon as your PRTD expired or only recently? What did you ask them exactly?

What are your long-term plans for your widowed father? A multiple entry TRV only allows him to visit Canada temporarily, not live here. Sooner or later he will need to return home after his visit.

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
Ultimately this is going to be your decision. We cannot tell you if IRCC will give you new PRTDs or how long they will be valid for.

Did you contact the local embassy in April as soon as your PRTD expired or only recently? What did you ask them exactly?

What are your long-term plans for your widowed father? A multiple entry TRV only allows him to visit Canada temporarily, not live here. Sooner or later he will need to return home after his visit.
Ya I had raised IRCC webform informing them that I could not travel at present due to flight cancellations and lockdown just before 2 days of my expiry. And asked for extenstion of my PRTD. I had also contacted local embassy same time. But there was formal reply. Just two days ahead I had tweeted on IRCC but they said contact your visa issuing office.

For my father and my kidsI had plans to apply for their Supervisa and PR respectively. Meanwhile there will be parental sponsorship program during which we will be applying for him.

Don't know how to work out in this uncertain situation. If my wife plans to travel alone with my kids then she has to come back as my kids will be on visitor visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ya I had raised IRCC webform informing them that I could not travel at present due to flight cancellations and lockdown just before 2 days of my expiry. And asked for extenstion of my PRTD. I had also contacted local embassy same time. But there was formal reply. Just two days ahead I had tweeted on IRCC but they said contact your visa issuing office.

For my father and my kidsI had plans to apply for their Supervisa and PR respectively. Meanwhile there will be parental sponsorship program during which we will be applying for him.

Don't know how to work out in this uncertain situation. If my wife plans to travel alone with my kids then she has to come back as my kids will be on visitor visa.
You actually can’t apply for supervisa from Canada. You need to be in your home country. There is huge demand but limited spots for parental sponsorship so there is no guarantee that your father will get PR. Would also warn you that if it looks like your father moved to Canada with you that is frowned upon and will be considered when you apply for a TRV extension.

oncar2004

Oct 19, 2016
Hello,

Myself and my wife are landed PRs. We are currently in India. As PR cards expired in 2018, we have been issued PRTD (R1 category) even though we applied on H&C basis.

We were about to move to Canada on 28th April 2020 but due to this Covid 19 Pandemic and world wide lockdown, our flight was cancelled. Meanwhile, my husband’s PRTD got expired. During this Covid-19 pandemic, uprooting ourselves to settle over there and to travel with 2 small kids (2 years & 5 years old) as well as a senior citizen (70 years) at life risk seems difficult.

As the second wave has already started in Canada, the prevailing situation is not yet safe. And many flights carry asymptomatic Covid-19 positive passengers. It is difficult to maintain advisories declared by the World Health Organizations & Health Ministry in order to prevent transmission of Covid-19 during air travel with kids & senior citizens as they are at higher risk.

We waited enough expecting the stabilization of the Covid-19 situation and free movement with starting of all international flights as we have to travel with kids and senior citizen.

Considering the above facts is it advisable to postpone our travelling till safe period? It will led to expiry of my wife's travel document (5th November2020). Otherwise she will have to fly to Canada before 5th November 2020 with the life risk of my family.

Please provide appropriate guidance in this tough situation. So we can save our PR Status.

Thanks
I am in similar situation. Do you know if you met residency obligation?

drdenil

Jul 4, 2014
You actually can’t apply for supervisa from Canada. You need to be in your home country. There is huge demand but limited spots for parental sponsorship so there is no guarantee that your father will get PR. Would also warn you that if it looks like your father moved to Canada with you that is frowned upon and will be considered when you apply for a TRV extension.
My father has no plans to settle in Canada. It is my interest to apply for his PR. We will apply for his visa extension only if Covid situation gets verse. It is difficult to leave him alone in this Covid situation as we r not getting reliable caretaker service for him.

Corona pandemic has disrupted all our calculations and made situations full of uncertainty.

And I don't know whether IRCC will approve my PRTD or not. So my wife will have to travel alone. Again there will be separation of family.

But my main concern is to save our PR status. All health agencies including WHO are warning not to go out from house for self protection and to prevent further spread of Covid.

IRCC has given options to COPR and PRV holders for travel at their convenience. Is there any chance that IRCC consider our PRTD application taking Covid Pandemic into account?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My father has no plans to settle in Canada. It is my interest to apply for his PR. We will apply for his visa extension only if Covid situation gets verse. It is difficult to leave him alone in this Covid situation as we r not getting reliable caretaker service for him.

Corona pandemic has disrupted all our calculations and made situations full of uncertainty.

And I don't know whether IRCC will approve my PRTD or not. So my wife will have to travel alone. Again there will be separation of family.

But my main concern is to save our PR status. All health agencies including WHO are warning not to go out from house for self protection and to prevent further spread of Covid.

IRCC has given options to COPR and PRV holders for travel at their convenience. Is there any chance that IRCC consider our PRTD application taking Covid Pandemic into account?
If your number one concern is to save your PR status would recommend that your wife travel.