+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD before PR Card Expiry

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
Hi,

I am currently in India and my PR Card is expiring in a couple of weeks. I am planning to travel one month after the card expiry date.
Is it okay to apply for the renewal right now or wait until the card has expired?

Thanks for your help.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

I am currently in India and my PR Card is expiring in a couple of weeks. I am planning to travel one month after the card expiry date.
Is it okay to apply for the renewal right now or wait until the card has expired?

Thanks for your help.
You can only apply for renewal when you are in Canada.

If you are outside Canada and meet your RO, apply for PRTD.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for your help.
You must be in Canada to apply for PR card renewal. Would apply for PRTD as soon as possible because it can take a while to get processed.

Ganny

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
You must be in Canada to apply for PR card renewal. Would apply for PRTD as soon as possible because it can take a while to get processed.
Thank you. My bad I didnt put my question right. I didn't really mean PR card renewal.

I wanted to know if I can apply for PRTD while my PR card is still active. Or wait for the PR Card to expire to apply?

ganny18

Jan 23, 2017
Hi, I am in same situation now. Did you wait till PR card expiry or applied for PRTD before expiry. Thanks!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am in same situation now. Did you wait till PR card expiry or applied for PRTD before expiry. Thanks!!
Normally you do. If your card is extremely close to expiry (around a month) and you have proof that you will be returning home soon after your PR card expires I would apply for a PRTD but explain why you are applying while have a valid PR card. Do you meet your RO?If it is your first PR card renewal had you met the 730 days in the first 5 years and continue to meet the 730 days in the past 5 years?

ganny18

Jan 23, 2017
Normally you do. If your card is extremely close to expiry (around a month) and you have proof that you will be returning home soon after your PR card expires I would apply for a PRTD but explain why you are applying while have a valid PR card. Do you meet your RO?If it is your first PR card renewal had you met the 730 days in the first 5 years and continue to meet the 730 days in the past 5 years?
Thanks for the response. Yes I meet RO and this is my first PR card renewal. I am already out of Canada and my PR card expires by mid of May. But due to family reason I had to reschedule my return flight to mid of June. So, I am in dilemma whether to apply for PRTD before PR card expiry or wait till it expires. One month for PRTD processing seems pretty tight. Thanks!!