+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD application submitted IN CANADA - success story

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This confirms that applying for a PRTD from Canada does work for vacation travel...at least it did for this user. The reason for the expidited PRTD was under the `Other' option and was still approved:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-renewal-urgent-application-processing-time.790981/

I declared that I was in Canada. They need your passport to stamp it with the PRTD. so you have to go to a VAC to give them your passport so they can stamp it. I have never heard of a passport getting loss. I applied for urgent processing because i already bought my plane ticket and i have to be back to work on a certain date. I'm guessing you have never applied for a PRTD before and you're unsure of how the process works?
I'm surprised that IRCC allowed for `urgent processing', just because you had already purchased your airline ticket and have to return to work on a certain date.

Urgent processing for your PRTD application

• You must show that you need your PRTD within the next three months for one of these reasons:
    • your own serious illness;
    • the serious illness or death of a family member;
    • lost/stolen Permanent Resident card while on temporary travel outside of Canada
    • you are in a crisis, emergency, or a vulnerable situation;
    • other
  • You must include all the following documents to show you need urgent processing:
    • a letter explaining the reason for the urgency; and
    • proof of urgency (i.e. a doctor's note, death certificate, etc.)
---
I guess your reason qualifies under `other'.:)
yes i did. you can apply for the prtd while in canada.im only away for 8 days so i need it urgently processed.
Congrats! You are the first person that I've seen here that was able to successfully apply for a PRTD from Canada.
I’m in a PRTD fb group. Many people have been successful on there as well. That’s how I knew o was able to do it.
Hope you had a great vacation. Did you make it back safely, with your PRTD?!
Hi yes, i submitted my passport to the VAC office in Bali and got it back stamped within 3 business days. Way before my departure flight.

Last edited:

nicoski

Sep 16, 2014
This confirms that applying for a PRTD from Canada does work for vacation travel...at least it did for this user. The reason for the expidited PRTD was under the `Other' option and was still approved:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-renewal-urgent-application-processing-time.790981/

I have a trip planned to Europe in June 2 but need a valid travel document from Canada to apply for a schengen visa(which takes about two weeks to process). If I apply as urgent PRTD, will I get the PRTD in Canada ? Or in Europe ?

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
I have a trip planned to Europe in June 2 but need a valid travel document from Canada to apply for a schengen visa(which takes about two weeks to process). If I apply as urgent PRTD, will I get the PRTD in Canada ? Or in Europe ?
Europe, you need to send your passport to the closest VAC centre in the city/country you're in.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don’t know if EU will accept a PRTD as your valid travel document. Shouldn’t you be using your passport as the travel document?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based upon how things worked for the member, in the link that I posted at the top of this thread, they applied for the PRTD while still in Canada. They sent their passport to the visa office AFTER they arrived at their international destination and it was returned to them [there] with the PRTD. Not sure that I would be willing to send my passport anywhere while being on vacation, hoping it makes its way back to me in time for my return flight to Canada...or worse, gets lost!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based upon how things worked for the member, in the link that I posted at the top of this thread, they applied for the PRTD while still in Canada. They sent their passport to the visa office AFTER they arrived at their international destination and it was returned to them [there] with the PRTD. Not sure that I would be willing to send my passport anywhere while being on vacation, hoping it makes its way back to me in time for my return flight to Canada...or worse, gets lost!
To get a Schengen visa you’d need to submit your passport not PRTD or pr card.

Reactions: irinaaas11

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Agreed. I was merely responding to the latter part of the question, regarding where the PRTD will be issued.
They do need to verify applicant's status in Canada to qualify if you are OK to apply as Canadian residents. Generally they don't issue visas to visitors in Canada.
Maybe this is the reason OP need something to prove he's PR.

Reactions: irinaaas11

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They do need to verify applicant's status in Canada to qualify if you are OK to apply as Canadian residents. Generally they don't issue visas to visitors in Canada.
Maybe this is the reason OP need something to prove he's PR.
In the link in the first post in this thread, that PR had a vacation planned and had not yet received their PR Card, so they applied for the PRTD from within Canada...stated that they were in Canada, but the reason for the urgent request did not fall into one of the `obvious' categories. Most urgent requests are for family/medical emergency, but the OP simply chose 'Other' for their reason, but probably did provide flight dates from/back to Canada.
Glad it worked for the OP, but was surprised that it did, considering that IRCC still states that a PRTD cannot be applied for inside Canada.

Guess they didn't get the memo.

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
In the link in the first post in this thread, that PR had a vacation planned and had not yet received their PR Card, so they applied for the PRTD from within Canada...stated that they were in Canada, but the reason for the urgent request did not fall into one of the `obvious' categories. Most urgent requests are for family/medical emergency, but the OP simply chose 'Other' for their reason, but probably did provide flight dates from/back to Canada.
Glad it worked for the OP, but was surprised that it did, considering that IRCC still states that a PRTD cannot be applied for inside Canada.

Guess they didn't get the memo.
I think there's also confusion with the wording, I think they're referring to "you can't apply and receive a PRTD inside Canada", since there are clearly people here that made the application within Canada and then later on got the PRTD while they were traveling.
My guess is that you can make the application while you're in Canada and get the PRTD at the VAC center outside Canada. Just my 2 cents.