+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD and Residency Obligation

excrayg

Jan 31, 2021
My family and I got our PR status through soft-landing in March 2019. We then returned to USA after a week. We never received our initial PR Card.
We are planning to visit Canada in next couple of months. Since we didnt receive our initial PR cards, I was planning to apply for PRTD.
PRTD application asks for residency obligation. The total time that we have spent in Canada is less than 730 days.
However the reasons 16-19 in IMM-5524 form for residency obligations do not apply to us. I am working outside Canada for a non-canadian business at the moment. And we plan to permanently move to Canada in 2022, and hence we will meet the 730 day residency obligation for our PR which expires in 2024.

Can I apply for PRTD application now, for traveling to Canada in next 3-4 months, without requiring to fill the sections 16-19 for residency obligation in IMM-5524 form? Could I just add a letter of explanation stating that we will move permanently in 2022 and thereby will meet the 730 day requirement?

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My family and I got our PR status through soft-landing in March 2019. We then returned to USA after a week. We never received our initial PR Card.
We are planning to visit Canada in next couple of months. Since we didnt receive our initial PR cards, I was planning to apply for PRTD.
PRTD application asks for residency obligation. The total time that we have spent in Canada is less than 730 days.
However the reasons 16-19 in IMM-5524 form for residency obligations do not apply to us. I am working outside Canada for a non-canadian business at the moment. And we plan to permanently move to Canada in 2022, and hence we will meet the 730 day residency obligation for our PR which expires in 2024.

Can I apply for PRTD application now, for traveling to Canada in next 3-4 months, without requiring to fill the sections 16-19 for residency obligation in IMM-5524 form? Could I just add a letter of explanation stating that we will move permanently in 2022 and thereby will meet the 730 day requirement?

Thanks
First, if you are travelling by land, you likely don't need a PRTD at all - just identification (passport + COPR ideal) that allows them to find your PR status. If you need to fly, you will need PRTD.

I would just include a short letter of explanation that you did not receive the initial card. You are compliant with residency obligation as given credit for days to first five year anniversary of landing will be credited to you. I would not get in to the issue of when you plan to permanently return. You would ideally apply to get your PR card while in Canada.

Sorry, don't know the specifics of the form you're referring to.

Reactions: excrayg