+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRs living outside of Canada having a baby soon

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
Hello -

Me and my wife are PRs since April 2019. However, we don't permanently live in Canada yet. We live in Germany and are planning to relocate by end of 2020. We will be having a baby in Germany soon.

What should be done in regards to paperwork for the baby before relocating to Canada?

Thanks.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
What Citizenship will the baby have? If it is a Visa exempt country, then the baby may be able to travel to Canada with you. Otherwise the baby will need to get a visitor Visa, which will be difficult.

You will only be able to sponsor the baby for PR after at least one of the parent is actually living in Canada. Nothing else can be done until then.

Reactions: scylla

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
You have to sponsor your baby if you intend to live with your baby in Canada for more than 6 months even if you are from a VISA exempt nation.
Thanks for the reply. We are already Canadian PRs and will be living permanently there. It's just that we've not relocated yet. I didn't quite understand what you mean by "sponsor your baby"

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
What Citizenship will the baby have? If it is a Visa exempt country, then the baby may be able to travel to Canada with you. Otherwise the baby will need to get a visitor Visa, which will be difficult.

You will only be able to sponsor the baby for PR after at least one of the parent is actually living in Canada. Nothing else can be done until then.
Thanks for your reply. The baby will not have a citizenship of an exempt country. So a Canadian PR couple having a baby outside of Canada, has to get a visitor VISA for the baby?

About your last point, then it means I can travel to Canada and my wife stays with the baby in Germany. Then since I'm living there already, I can sponsor the baby? and what does sponsor mean?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sponsor means exactly that you submit as a PR parent resident in Canada your child’s application to become a PR given your status does not change the new borns status

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

And yes you will need to apply for a TRV for the baby to travel to Canada before becoming a PR, whether would be approved no way to predict .

In hindsight shame your plans did not fall into place for a birth in Canada would obviously have been so much easier.

Last edited:

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for your reply. The baby will not have a citizenship of an exempt country. So a Canadian PR couple having a baby outside of Canada, has to get a visitor VISA for the baby?

About your last point, then it means I can travel to Canada and my wife stays with the baby in Germany. Then since I'm living there already, I can sponsor the baby? and what does sponsor mean?
Yes, the baby will need a Visa to travel to Canada.

Sponsorship is a specific application, where a PR parent living in Canada sponsors a dependent child to become PR.