+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRRA for refugee claimants

Sep 20, 2018
How can a refugee claimant whose appeal has been rejected by RAD and has been issued a removal order may stay in Canada for 12 month to apply for a PRRA? What is his status while he waits?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Don’t believe there is any way to guarantee you will be able to remain. Given it’s a removal order, CBSA can enforce it at any time. The best you can hope for is they are slow to proceed with the removal. That said, they will probably move quickly as you no langer have any status in Canada.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
How can a refugee claimant whose appeal has been rejected by RAD and has been issued a removal order may stay in Canada for 12 month to apply for a PRRA? What is his status while he waits?
PRRA exists in order to review new risks that may present themselves to people who are facing removal from Canada. It's designed to assess risks for people who may have had a failed refugee claim and where that negative decision is old and new risks may have reasonably arisen since that ruling and should be considered.

If they can remove you fast enough, PRRA isn't required/permitted because the earlier refusal, abandonment or withdrawal of the refugee claim wasn't so long ago and it has been decided that the risk doesn't meet Canada's definition.

People have no status during that period and the idea is to remove these people within the 12 month period. If they don't remove within that timeframe, people in this situation will likely be invited to apply for PRRA.

Reactions: Buletruck

Usman A

Jul 8, 2023
PRRA exists in order to review new risks that may present themselves to people who are facing removal from Canada. It's designed to assess risks for people who may have had a failed refugee claim and where that negative decision is old and new risks may have reasonably arisen since that ruling and should be considered.

If they can remove you fast enough, PRRA isn't required/permitted because the earlier refusal, abandonment or withdrawal of the refugee claim wasn't so long ago and it has been decided that the risk doesn't meet Canada's definition.

People have no status during that period and the idea is to remove these people within the 12 month period. If they don't remove within that timeframe, people in this situation will likely be invited to apply for PRRA.
During that 12 month time frame a person still has the work authorisation.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
During that 12 month time frame a person still has the work authorisation.
Hi,

Is this a question?

It appears that the answer is, yes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/applicants-no-other-means-support-r206.html

If a person has an undecided PRRA, applied for within whatever time period is proscribed, then that person is the subject of an unenforcable removal order because they enjoy a statutory stay of removal. The Legislation says the person cannot be removed and the Regulations say, issue that person a non-status bearing work permit until the PRRA is decided.

Fees? I don't know.
How long does it take? I don't know.
How to apply? I don't know.

Reactions: Usman A

Zainib

Nov 17, 2023
Hi I got a PRRA letter. My H and C has been submitted for a year now. Can I apply for PRRA myself or do I need a lawyer?

Zainib

Nov 17, 2023
Hi I got a PRRA letter. My H and C has been submitted for a year now. Can I apply for PRRA myself or do I need a lawyer?

Zainib

Nov 17, 2023
Hi I got a PRRA letter. My H and C has been submitted for a year now. Can I apply for PRRA myself or do I need a lawyer?can anybody help me with this matter please and thanks.

Zainib

Nov 17, 2023