+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proxy Marriage

Hashim salat

Sep 6, 2018
Hi I am Hashim Salat, the same thing happened to me. I sent sponsorship application for my wife on 19th July, 2018. Our marriage ceremony took place in Kenya December, 2014 while I was in Canada and my wife is in Kenya. I used that certificate for the application but I had a conversation with the immigration and they told me before it’s too late you can go remarry but let us know in writing when your are going and what your going for. Does anybody know if this works. I mean if i re do the marriage and send the certificate to CIC before the processing starts. Thanks

Manny1975

Star Member
Jul 23, 2018
North bay
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Egypt
App. Filed.......
06-07-2018
Doc's Request.
05-10-2018
AOR Received.
07-20-2018
File Transfer...
07-31-2018
Med's Request
07-26-2018
Med's Done....
07-31-2018
Hi, my friend did proxy marriage in December 2016 while he was in Canada and his wife was in Bangladesh. The registration and ceremony took place in Bangladesh where proxy marriage is legal. He applied for his wife in September, 2017. In February, 2018 his wife got medical request n it was done and sent by end of February, 2018. In May, 2018 CIS ask for some additional paper such as proof that proxy marriage is legal in Bangladesh, my friend’s previous divorce copy etc. They sent all these documents by end of May. After that they didn’t hear anything from CIS. Does anyone have any idea what will be the next step? As CIS asked for medical, does it mean they accept the proxy marriage? Is there any chance of rejection?
Thanks
Raina

Hello Dear, can you please help me out, I am a Canadian citizen, in March 2018 I send a proxy paper work to my brother back home, they issued a marriage certificate under me and my wife name, my wife was there. But I wasn’t, my brother represented me, then I went back home after tow months and did a big wedding with a lot of pictures, the I came back to Canada and applied for Outland sponoship. My time line is:

Aor July 20
Mid received July 26
Transfer to Vo Egypt July 31
SA July 31
BGC October 05
Document request Pcc October 10
Pcc upload successfuly October 24
Nothing after that ,
My question is is the proxy marriage going to effect me? I just read there was a low in 2015 to not allows proxy marriage any more? Am I going to get refused? Please

Manny1975

Star Member
Jul 23, 2018
North bay
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Egypt
App. Filed.......
06-07-2018
Doc's Request.
05-10-2018
AOR Received.
07-20-2018
File Transfer...
07-31-2018
Med's Request
07-26-2018
Med's Done....
07-31-2018
I'm in need of your assistance. My application was refused because my marriage occurred through proxy.

My husband is from Lebanon where proxy is accepted. Therefore, my marriage is legally recognized in Lebanon, but not in Canada.

I would rather reapply than appeal the decision, but I'm not sure what steps do I need to take when I go to Lebnanon.

Do I have to get a divorce and remarry the same guy, so we can both be physically present when signing the marriage certificate?
Hello Dear, can you please help me out, I am a Canadian citizen, in March 2018 I send a proxy paper work to my brother back home, they issued a marriage certificate under me and my wife name, my wife was there. But I wasn’t, my brother represented me, then I went back home after tow months and did a big wedding with a lot of pictures, the I came back to Canada and applied for Outland sponoship. My time line is:

Aor July 20
Mid received July 26
SA July 31
BGC October 05
Nothing after that ,
My question is is the proxy marriage going to effect me? I just read there was a low in 2015 to not allows proxy marriage any more? Am I going to get refused? Please

Manny1975

Star Member
Jul 23, 2018
North bay
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Egypt
App. Filed.......
06-07-2018
Doc's Request.
05-10-2018
AOR Received.
07-20-2018
File Transfer...
07-31-2018
Med's Request
07-26-2018
Med's Done....
07-31-2018
I'm in need of your assistance. My application was refused because my marriage occurred through proxy.

My husband is from Lebanon where proxy is accepted. Therefore, my marriage is legally recognized in Lebanon, but not in Canada.

I would rather reapply than appeal the decision, but I'm not sure what steps do I need to take when I go to Lebnanon.

Do I have to get a divorce and remarry the same guy, so we can both be physically present when signing the marriage certificate?

I wasn’t there to signe the marriage certificate, my wife and my brother through proxy singed the marriage certificate, tow months later I came back home and did big widening with lots of pictures, is this good enough? or still considered as proxy? Am I going to get refused? Please help

Noraalzomor

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020

Aor July 20
Mid received July 26
SA July 31
BGC October 05
Nothing after that ,
hi
May I know what happened to you! Because I am in your situation rn.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi
May I know what happened to you! Because I am in your situation rn.
Proxy marriages aren't recognized by IRCC. Applications with proxy marriages end in refusal. You have to remarry in person - or alternatively live together for a year and then apply as common law.

Rino_Canada

Dec 1, 2020

Hi There, I know that it's been long but I wondering what happened and if you were able to sponsor your husband. I am in the same boat now and I don't know what to do. He is from Lebanon as well. I won't appeal, but did you have to divorce and remarry? did IRCC ask for the divorce certificate if they didn't recognize the marriage? any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Monica Young

Jan 28, 2021
Honestly, I recently found out that a proxy marriage is not legal in Canada, as no province recognizes such a marriage. And now my application cannot be accepted. I'm very angry about this, but mostly about the fact that I wasn't interested in this detail before. My husband also didn't know about it. Our friends advised us to divorce, after that I apply, and then we get married again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Honestly, I recently found out that a proxy marriage is not legal in Canada, as no province recognizes such a marriage. And now my application cannot be accepted. I'm very angry about this, but mostly about the fact that I wasn't interested in this detail before. My husband also didn't know about it. Our friends advised us to divorce, after that I apply, and then we get married again.
Yes, you need to get married with both of you there in person for the marriage to be recognized by Canada. You can find this information on the IRCC web site:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1081&top=14

If you have lived together continuously for at least one full year, then you can apply as common law instead.

Good luck.

Monica Young

Jan 28, 2021
Yes, you need to get married with both of you there in person for the marriage to be recognized by Canada. You can find this information on the IRCC web site:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1081&top=14

If you have lived together continuously for at least one full year, then you can apply as common law instead.

Good luck.
Thanks.
I have no idea what I should do, but my relationship with my husband has become complicated, I'm afraid that after divorce, we will become strangers. My friend suggested that I go to breakupangels.com, read more about relationships, and talk to my husband about our future plans.

Last edited:

CHRoua

May 10, 2022
Calgary
Is anyone get reapply after the refusal of the proxy marriage and get approved because I’m at the same situation now and me and my wife we planning to get divorce and reapply again and what should we said when they ask as the reasons of divorce and what could affect the new application so I do not say it or do it please help

Noraalzomor

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Is anyone get reapply after the refusal of the proxy marriage and get approved because I’m at the same situation now and me and my wife we planning to get divorce and reapply again and what should we said when they ask as the reasons of divorce and what could affect the new application so I do not say it or do it please help
In my situation, they gave me a letter that says my husband is not a member of my family because they don’t recognize proxy marriage! They gave me 90 days (it was during COVID) to explain the situation or my application may get refused. What I did is: I let a lawyer handle my case (which I think now was unnecessary), he sent them letter explaining that proxy marriage is something acceptable in our culture and that we will meet and re-do the marriage contract where we will be both physically present and he explained that this may take long time because of the pandemic. They sent this letter on Sep 24, 2020, I sent them the new marriage contract on December 22, 2020, they replayed March 30, 2021 with the biometric letter, and then the application got processed as normal. My sister was also in the same situation; however, her husband was not able to meet her within 90 days, they provide them with the new marriage contract 3 months past the due date but they were flexible probably because of COVID.
So I did not need to apply again because they did not send me the refusal right away, rather a letter! I also did not need to get divorced to do a new marriage contract (probably it differs from country to country, we did the second one in Sudan, my sister and her husband did it in Egypt and neither of us needed to get divorced. They didn’t even asked about the divorce thing).

Hope it helped!

CHRoua

May 10, 2022
Calgary
In my situation, they gave me a letter that says my husband is not a member of my family because they don’t recognize proxy marriage! They gave me 90 days (it was during COVID) to explain the situation or my application may get refused. What I did is: I let a lawyer handle my case (which I think now was unnecessary), he sent them letter explaining that proxy marriage is something acceptable in our culture and that we will meet and re-do the marriage contract where we will be both physically present and he explained that this may take long time because of the pandemic. They sent this letter on Sep 24, 2020, I sent them the new marriage contract on December 22, 2020, they replayed March 30, 2021 with the biometric letter, and then the application got processed as normal. My sister was also in the same situation; however, her husband was not able to meet her within 90 days, they provide them with the new marriage contract 3 months past the due date but they were flexible probably because of COVID.
So I did not need to apply again because they did not send me the refusal right away, rather a letter! I also did not need to get divorced to do a new marriage contract (probably it differs from country to country, we did the second one in Sudan, my sister and her husband did it in Egypt and neither of us needed to get divorced. They didn’t even asked about the divorce thing).

Hope it helped!
Thank u but the problem is they give me the lettre to explain to them and I had one month to respond so I explain to them to but they refuse my application one week ago and now I have no choice but get divorce because in Tunisia we can’t just get new marriage certificate but with divorce so I get refused and I have to go get divorce and remarry and reaply again it’s so messy and stressful situation

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Hope it helped!
There was likely a lot more flexibility during Covid so in many ways you did get lucky.