File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Passport Req..
27-01-2011
LANDED..........
24-02-2011
I am wondering if anyone has landed in Ontario with a Learners/Provisional Licence from the UK and had your years of experience recognised and how that worked. My husband had his provisional for three years he has been driving and took lessons unfortunately because of travels and finances he never took his test. And his thinking always was why get his licence when public transportation was so convenient (Very good proof he never saw Northern Ontario in his future!)He has applied for his driving record so will have that when he lands. On the drive test site it says they will not exchange but they will recognise the driving experience so really just wondering what this means?
(I have been trying to get a person on the phone to answer this but no luck, in our local area they have never delt with this-mine was the first uk licence the lady had ever seen and it took me forever to have them exchange it back for my Ontario licence that I had 12 years previous)
Does he write the knowledge test then if passed doesn’t have to wait the required year to take the g1 exit road test?

THis is my wishful thinking! Having two drivers-able to drive alone would be such a benfit and a lot less stress.

MikeUK

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
02-12-2010
File Transfer...
23-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
I don't have a direct answer but I certainly share your concerns. They seem to be intentionally vague in this area. I did manage to get an email response from them by contacting them on the http://www.drivetest.ca website, but it wasn't particularly helpful in terms of how much time my wife would be credited with. She received her UK Provisional licence about 2.5 years ago now and passed her test and received her full UK licence in October last year. By the time we land that will give her 6 months on a full licence and more than 2 years of driver training on her provisional licence. I sent these facts to the people at drivetest asking if she would be able to do a direct swap for a full Ontario licence and they replied quite simply with this:

To exchange for a full G class Ontario licence, you must have held a full class for 2 or more years.

So not especially helpful. Our plan is to get her DVLA driving record (from here if anyone needs it: http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/foi/dataprtc.aspx) and argue our case at the centre when we arrive. Obviously we're hoping for a full swap, but realistically we'll hopefully get full credit for all of her driving time (both provisional and full) and she'll be issued a G2 with no time restrictions and be able to sit the G2 road test ASAP. Hopefully it will be the same for your husband!

Very interested in seeing some posts from anyone who has actually done this!

spacey

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2010
Doc's Request.
19-01-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Passport Req..
27-01-2011
LANDED..........
24-02-2011
Well my husband after two weeks of calling got through to a supervisor at the Drivetest centre today. This is what we were told:
For the provisional licence they will recognise up to a year (365 days is what they said) of driving. So meaning if my husband passes the writen test he will have no wait time to take his G1 road test. They also told him that he only needed the two parts for his licence and passport when he goes to write as that has proof of his driving experience.

I will update with what actually happens next month.

MikeUK

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
02-12-2010
File Transfer...
23-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Passport Req..
10-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-03-2011
LANDED..........
20-04-2011
spacey said:
Well my husband after two weeks of calling got through to a supervisor at the Drivetest centre today. This is what we were told:
For the provisional licence they will recognise up to a year (365 days is what they said) of driving. So meaning if my husband passes the writen test he will have no wait time to take his G1 road test. They also told him that he only needed the two parts for his licence and passport when he goes to write as that has proof of his driving experience.

I will update with what actually happens next month.
My reply yesterday prompted me to write them again and ask for clarification. They said that her 6 months on a full UK licence would entitle her to a G2 and that she would have to take the final road test to get upgraded to a full licence. Could be worse I suppose.

spacey

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2010
Doc's Request.
19-01-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Med's Done....
25-08-2010
Passport Req..
27-01-2011
LANDED..........
24-02-2011
Well the only way the G2 effects you once you are over 19 is insurance and the absolute zero for alcohol. The g2 exit road test is a pretty simple task, hwy driving, a parrallel park,and an emergency road side stop as i remember it . You said she had been driving so should not have a problem at all.

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
My reply yesterday prompted me to write them again and ask for clarification. They said that her 6 months on a full UK licence would entitle her to a G2 and that she would have to take the final road test to get upgraded to a full licence. Could be worse I suppose.
Hi, I know this is soooo many years later, but I'm looking for answers.

UK to Ontario license:
-does more than 1 year but less than 2 years on a full license get you a G2 license, or do you need to take a road test first?
-what about less than 1 year on a full license?

Thank you so much anyone who can respond. The info on the internet is vague and I can't get through to anyone.