Sep 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi;

I would like to claim points on my express entry profile for work experience gained in the UK (2 years of provable experience matching my NOC - 1224) combined with my decent language score (CELPIP - R12, S12, L12, W9). I therefore reached out to my previous employer requesting an employment letter and even attaching a template of what would be required, however all the HR dept. sent was a basic letter confirming my name, dates employed, full time, and job title. There was no inclusion of the duties performed which I requested and stated was crucial. I know that company has their own set format of issuing references/employment letters and they do not deviate from this. Now I'm at a loss with how I can claim this experience without a valid letter?

I had a couple of ideas which I'm hoping you can comment on:

a) Use the letter they sent and upload along with the job description for the role (which I think I may still have somewhere), along with an explanation letter to the officer detailing the connection between the two?
b) If I am unable to obtain the job description for whatever reason, I could reach out to an ex-client of mine who could verify the duties I performed when I was employed there and ask him to write an official reference and upload this, along with an explanation letter for the officer?

What do you think guys? Will this suffice for proof of my work experience in the eyes of the officer?

My work experience of over 2 years in the UK does match the NOC I am using on my application and I would really like to benefit from claiming the points for this. Please let me know any other suggestions for things to include and upload as proof.

Thanks in advance for any help!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi;

I would like to claim points on my express entry profile for work experience gained in the UK (2 years of provable experience matching my NOC - 1224) combined with my decent language score (CELPIP - R12, S12, L12, W9). I therefore reached out to my previous employer requesting an employment letter and even attaching a template of what would be required, however all the HR dept. sent was a basic letter confirming my name, dates employed, full time, and job title. There was no inclusion of the duties performed which I requested and stated was crucial.

The letter is missing hours worked per week and wage/salary information as well.

I know that company has their own set format of issuing references/employment letters and they do not deviate from this.

Can you prove this? Have they made any such statement in writing that you can send as proof?

I had a couple of ideas which I'm hoping you can comment on:

a) Use the letter they sent and upload along with the job description for the role (which I think I may still have somewhere), along with an explanation letter to the officer detailing the connection between the two?

A letter of explanation will be essential, to explain why the letter does not contain all the required information, and outline the alternative documentation you are providing. Include the info on hours worked per week, and salary/wage info.

b) If I am unable to obtain the job description for whatever reason, I could reach out to an ex-client of mine who could verify the duties I performed when I was employed there and ask him to write an official reference and upload this, along with an explanation letter for the officer?

A letter describing job duties from a former manager, colleague, or client will be considered, yes.

You should also provide proof of remuneration (if you have tax forms similar to Canada's T4, that will suffice)

What do you think guys? Will this suffice for proof of my work experience in the eyes of the officer?
No guarantees, but this is not uncommon. Many people succeed -

andyhughes88

Sep 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Thank you so much @jes_ON for your comments, very much appreciated!

I am firstly going to call the HR department and speak to them in person tomorrow AM and ask them if they can provide a new letter containing these details, including the salary and hours of work as you correctly pointed out. If not I will ask them to provide the job description on company letter head, signed and dated. If this is also still an issue, I will ask them to send to me in writing why they cannot provide these things (corporate policy etc.).

Once I have this, I will obtain the reference from a former client (who has already agreed to help me out) and upload this along with end of year tax forms 'P60' for the years working there and a detailed LOE.

One more question, does the letter from the ex-client need to be notarised or on the letterhead of his employer? He is a U.N. employee living abroad who owns some properties in the UK that I managed for him at my previous companies which is a property management agent. He can verify the duties I did in his experience for his particular properties at least.

Thanks!

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Thank you so much @jes_ON for your comments, very much appreciated!

I am firstly going to call the HR department and speak to them in person tomorrow AM and ask them if they can provide a new letter containing these details, including the salary and hours of work as you correctly pointed out. If not I will ask them to provide the job description on company letter head, signed and dated. If this is also still an issue, I will ask them to send to me in writing why they cannot provide these things (corporate policy etc.).

Once I have this, I will obtain the reference from a former client (who has already agreed to help me out) and upload this along with end of year tax forms 'P60' for the years working there and a detailed LOE.

One more question, does the letter from the ex-client need to be notarised or on the letterhead of his employer? He is a U.N. employee living abroad who owns some properties in the UK that I managed for him at my previous companies which is a property management agent. He can verify the duties I did in his experience for his particular properties at least.

Thanks!
@andyhughes88 I feel it would be best if you could give your employer, a letter with your details and then have them review and verify the information in the letter and then get it signed by your HR. See what works best.

epicjean

Oct 17, 2017
Agree with bibinpanicker.

My previous company also only provided a simple form to prove my experience.
What I did was asking my group leader to sign on my employer letter.
On my EE profile, I submitted both the letter and the form from HR.

Like what bibinpanicker said, I provided a template letter for my leader that put on ALL the information I need on the Employer Letter.
The thing he needed to do was to confirm (to sign) what in the letter are all true and he is willing to prove it.

You even don't need to ask your leader to sign the letter. A person in the group who worked with you before are qualify to do it.

andyhughes88

Sep 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I will ask my line manager from that time again who I had originally asked first time around - I did send him a CIC format template letter and said if he had no issues could he print on letterhead, sign and date & return. However he simply forwarded the email to HR to deal with and that's why I'm in this position now.

My best hope is if I call and speak to HR in person I guess and try to get them to agree to send me the letter. So stressful!

andyhughes88

Sep 10, 2012
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Thanks! @bibinpanicker, the worst thing is I'm in the pool right now with 441 and there was no draw today. My birthday is on Friday and I lose 5 points. My current permit expires in just over 6 weeks so getting an ITA within the next few weeks > AOR > Bridging Permit is my only hope of being able to stay and continue working before I run out of status. Never been so stressed in my life with all this, who'd have thought turning 30 would be something I wasn't actually looking forward to!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you so much @jes_ON
One more question, does the letter from the ex-client need to be notarised or on the letterhead of his employer?
No, not required; just make sure the individual's contact information is on it. UN Letterhead would not hurt, tho:)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
@andyhughes88 I feel it would be best if you could give your employer, a letter with your details and then have them review and verify the information in the letter and then get it signed by your HR. See what works best.
The OP already tried that. But, it doesn't hurt to try again...