+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving to an employer that you're on implied status

Jezika

Feb 23, 2010
I am a permanent resident in Canada. My boyfriend's work permit runs out at the beginning of March. We have sent off all of our common law spouse sponsorship forms last October (we qualify under all the terms) together with an application for extension of work permit for him. We understand he will be on implied status once his work permit runs out in a couple of weeks' time. He has explained the situation to his employer, shown them photocopies of all the forms we sent, an e-mail receipt from UPS showing that the package we sent was delivered to the processing office in Vegreville and has showed them the online status of his application that is showing it's being processed. His employer still wants more proof that they have received specifically his work permit extension application, but CIC do not send any kind of confirmation to this effect until the new work permit has actually been processed.

I know others have used lawyers for this sort of thing, but we've not used one throughout the entire process, so it would be impossible to use one for this purpose now. Any advice on what he can do to prove to his employer that he has in fact submitted a work permit extension application and that CIC have received it would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing I could think of is getting them to listen in on a call he makes to CIC himself and getting them to say they have got it, but apart from that striking me as a little silly, they want something in hard copy for their records more than anything. Many thanks for any help you can offer.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You sent the application for a TWP renewal in October??? And you haven't heard anything? I'd want proof myself. Did you actually send the 2 applications in the same envelope?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jes_ON said:
You sent the application for a TWP renewal in October??? And you haven't heard anything? I'd want proof myself. Did you actually send the 2 applications in the same envelope?
In Canada spousal applications take 6 months to reach Approval in Principle and Vegreville is assessing applications received on the 11th of August. So it hasn't been opened yet, so by phoning the Call Centre, they is nothing other than a work permit that expired.

PMM

Jezika

Feb 23, 2010
Thanks for the advice. Just to give you an update, his work ended up ringing CIC themselves and miraculously got them to confirm that he is ok to continue working. We knew all along that they'd received both the perm residence app and work permit extension app (together), but the problem was that they wouldn't send anything in writing until the whole thing is processed 6 months later. So basically when they receive an app like this, they don't send you any confirmation letter at all, but you can check online or call them to confirm. And for work purposes, luckily they could also confirm my partner's continuing legal status to his employer over the phone.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for the update Jezika, and glad it worked out.

Just curious - why did you send the 2 applications together?

Jezika

Feb 23, 2010
jes_ON, the CIC told us it was integral that we send the two apps together so that he doesn't have to make a statutory declaration for common law union, which I think he'd have to do otherwise(?). All rather confusing.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ah, interesting. Thanks! -

FairWay

Oct 10, 2009
Jezika said:
CIC themselves and miraculously got them to confirm that he is ok to continue working...luckily they could also confirm my partner's continuing legal status to his employer over the phone.
It is a complete BS. CIC call center part time employees are undereducated and do not have any responsibility for their misleading and stupid advices LOL...

You'll be in trouble if visa officer find out your bf is working without permit.........

BTW you can hire/fire lawyer or consultant during any stage of any immigration process.

ghostfish

Jan 18, 2010
out of interest...what type of work permit was your boyfriend on before he got it extended/implied status?

thanks