+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving intent to return through real estate

Elkam123

Jun 2, 2018
My wife is a Canadian citizen, we've been married for over 2 years and we live outside Canada.

She will sponsor my application for PR with two dependent children.

Question is about proving intent to stay. I own several condos in Canada, all of them rented, she owns only one condo, again rented out. I already have money in the bank in Canada enough to buy a new house when we arrive there. But we have no jobs planned in Canada. Our plan is to live off the revenue of real estate. I have been planning this early retirement plan years ago, even before we get formally married.

My concern is, at application time, we have no house in Canada and no job offer (and no intention to seek a job really). Also, most of the properties are owned by me (not the Canadian wife who will sponsor). And the bank account is mine too. We can have a joint bank account if that will help.

How will this picture look at a positive intention to return to Canada and stay?

Appreciate all your help.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
My wife is a Canadian citizen, we've been married for over 2 years and we live outside Canada.

Question is about proving intent to stay. I own several condos in Canada, all of them rented, she owns only one condo, again rented out. I already have money in the bank in Canada enough to buy a new house when we arrive there. But we have no jobs planned in Canada. Our plan is to live off the revenue of real estate. I have been planning this early retirement plan years ago, even before we get formally married.

My concern is, at application time, we have no house in Canada and no job offer (and no intention to seek a job really). Also, most of the properties are owned by me (not the Canadian wife who will sponsor). And the bank account is mine too. We can have a joint bank account if that will help.

How will this picture look at a positive intention to return to Canada and stay?

I would figure out a short term plan to lay out in your application under the section where you sustain your plans to live there.

Just be honest and include things like where you intend to stay specifically when you land, talk about your retirement plans and just say what you said to us.

Include things like quotes from shipping companies, any Canadian ID and bank details and other ties or evidence of you "re-establishing" ties to Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

So the dependent children are yours only. If they are children of you and your wife, they are Canadians and need to apply for proof of citizenship instead of being included in the PR sponsorship application as dependents.

I don't understand your question about condo ownership and "house" ownership. You can just layout a plan on how you will settle when you move to Canada. One of the option is to live in one of the condos first (instead of renting it out) and search for larger home once you have relocated to Canada.

The relocation plan can combined property ownership and finance of you and your wife's. Maybe be more specific in where in Canada you will move to and searching for schools for the children (if they are of school age) and plan to continue to investment in real estate and living off the revenue can be part of your relocation plan. May be mention that you can locally manage your properties or be more engaged in the management when you move to Canada. Or even plans of buying more properties, communication with real estate agents...etc.