Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-17-2013
AOR Received.
07-17-2013
File Transfer...
07-23-2013
I am Canadian, my husband is American. We current live in the US. We're applying for PR for him, and once we have it, we will move, probably to Vancouver Island.

I see it says this in the PR document list: "If you are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you must include proof that you intend to live in Canada with your spouse..."

How on earth do you prove that? I'm self-employed and my work is very portable, but I've been living in the US for 12 years now, so I don't have current ties (job, bank account, home, etc) in Canada. We'll get all those things once my husband's PR is approved, but for now, what constitutes "proof" for the application?

Thanks!

hogaishaadi

Jun 26, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTT-ISL-LON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar-2012
Doc's Request.
Ad Doc's May 2013
AOR Received.
May-12 ISL - July-14 LON
File Transfer...
June-2014 LON
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
Aug 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 8, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2014
LANDED..........
Inshallah Dec 2014
Doing job search, scouting banks, and other information etc... a detailed little plan on what and how you intend to implement your move to Canada... where will you stay, have you done any homework on what type of work you will be doing, any other activities, any educational institute you might attend, etc etc...

for example: say you are into cosmetics/styling, and you looked up a cosmetics school here and inquired information about them and will be looking to enroll there... you will be living with your sponsor or moving in with them at a certain address... etc... or you can even show you will be quiting ur current job, or have sold furniture belonging to you anticipating a move back to Canada, its just a letter of intent...

opmama

Star Member
Sep 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-17-2013
AOR Received.
07-17-2013
File Transfer...
07-23-2013
Well, I can show plane tickets for a scouting trip to the area I plan to move to. But other than that, I will be moving my current job (self-employed, easy to do). I could maybe have an application for my daughter to the school she would likely attend? We won't have a home/address up there until we buy a house, which we won't do until after the PR is approved.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
put as many details as possible - applications for your daughter, scouting trip, where you intend to live, letters from friends and family stating that you can stay with them if needed - also steps needed to leave the US ( tax, rent contract to terminate etc). Basically - I'm sure you have been discussing with your spouse what to do, when to pack etc, and it's mostly a matter of putting of these discussions on paper, showing that you are serious about moving. If you have had email contacts with real estate agent about buying/renting a future house in Vnacouver Island, print them. If you have contacted moving companies to get a quote, print them ( if you haven't yet - well, time to do it so you can add it to your application!).

GOod luck,
Sweden

PS: i'm moving to Vancouver Island in October! :)

opmama

Star Member
Sep 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-17-2013
AOR Received.
07-17-2013
File Transfer...
07-23-2013
Well, it's still a year out - so we're preparing, but not a huge amount ;-P. However, I'll do what I can.

Good luck with your move to the island - it's a wonderful place!

Love Canada

Aug 28, 2012
My wife and I have a similar case as yours, my Vietnamese wife and I have been married for 9 years now and has been living together here in Vietnam, we have a three years old son and a two years old daughter. To proof of my intention of returning to Canada once my wife receives her PR, I used conversation emails on Facebook with friend and family over the years as proof. I also used emails from the school board of Vancouver BC as proof, showing conversations of me asking information of my kid's schooling.

Hope this give you a little bit of an idea.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
opmama said:
Well, it's still a year out - so we're preparing, but not a huge amount ;-P. However, I'll do what I can.

Good luck with your move to the island - it's a wonderful place!
you can also create a timeline - at the end, put the date when you intend to move to Canada, and work backwards from there... putting when you intend to contact shipping companies, when you intend to ship things, quit your job, give the notice for the house ( or sell it), contact school boards for your kids, inform tax office in the US that you are moving, book plane ticket, scouting trip, send application to CIC, etc! together with letters from friends and family, or keep records of your future conversations (chat etc) about it with family back in Canada... there is no "ultimate proof" (apart from being in Canada already) but if you are serious about it, it will show in your application, so you'll be fine.

there are plenty of US/Can couples on the forum so if you have practical questions you can ask here.

Good luck,
Sweden