+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving common law status

Canadian995

Aug 31, 2020
Hi, I am a Canadian citizen living in the UK with my common law partner. We are planning on moving to Canada this November and are wondering about exactly what we need to prove our common law status. I came to the UK and starting living with him immediately starting on November 17 2018. I moved in with him in his parents home to save on rent so we do not have any official rental agreements or any documents showing my name and address from this date. We do have a letter from his father confirming our living situation but that’s about it for November 2018. We do have many government issued documents with our names and address starting from March 2019 up until present day. I do not have any documents with my name and address on them before this point because I didn’t obtain a job or bank account until February/March 2019. I do have amazon orders with my name and address on them from December 2018 to February 2019.
We are concerned that when we get to the border they will not accept our evidence. Do I need to show proof from the exact date we started our common law relationship (November 17 2018) through to November 17 2019? Or can the evidence we provide be from any point as long as it shows we have been living together for at least one consistent year (for example March 2019-March 2020 - as this is when we have solid evidence for our cohabitation)? Or does it need to show proof from the exact date we began our cohabitation? If we need to provide evidence starting from November 17 2018, will a letter from my partners parents confirming we began living there on that date be sufficient? I hope this makes sense! I appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
The evidence can start at any point provided you have enough to cover a minimum 12 months before you submit your application.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello, I submitted my application inland in June. I am the principal applicant. My case isnt really that complicated. We are being supported by my common law partners parents for the last 3 years. Things that I used were my rental agreement with my girlfriends mother with both our names. ( I only pay rent to live here she doesn't, but its better if its in both of your names. These rental agreements were from 2018-2020, individual bank statements from 2018-2020, common law declaration from the CRA showing common law status, t4 assessment, old study permit from 2017-2018, old work permit from 2019, social insurance cards from 2018-2019, Pet license from the city that we live in has both of our names, pet insurance showing our address and an old dental invoice from 2018. You can also use amazon shipping receipts if either of you have those too. Even things like government ID's showing your address, and utility bills, joint bank accounts etc. We werent able to send things such as utility bills because we live with her parents and all bills are in her parents names. We also included statutory declarations from our families some were notarized some were not, it doesnt make too much of a difference as anyone could potentially fake a letter, but they threw in some personal things that they know about me to help prove the genuineness of the letter. We ended up sending our case by ourselves with help of all the people on the forum. I hope i was able to help!