+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving common law status

Tru247

Aug 11, 2019
Hi,

We are trying to prove my spouse and I were living together for 2 years however, we have none of the proof listed.

We have nothing joint nor do we have any document during our time living there.

If we were aware of these requirements we would have make the necessary arrangements but we weren't.

The only thing we do have are what's at text that prove we live together. Not where but just prove that we lived together.

My partner and I are private persons.

Can we not provide any documents and explain why and that works?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

We are trying to prove my spouse and I were living together for 2 years however, we have none of the proof listed.

We have nothing joint nor do we have any document during our time living there.

If we were aware of these requirements we would have make the necessary arrangements but we weren't.

The only thing we do have are what's at text that prove we live together. Not where but just prove that we lived together.

My partner and I are private persons.

Can we not provide any documents and explain why and that works?
You need to provide hard evidence to IRCC that you have cohabitated for at least one full year. IRCC will not accept a written explanation and texts do not prove cohabitation.

Do you really have nothing after two years of living together? Your bank account statements, credits card statements, phone bills should show this shared address. Same for any employment record. Do you rent the place where you live? If so, you can ask your landlord to sign an affidavit stating you have both lived there continuously for 2 years.

Tru247

Aug 11, 2019
You need to provide hard evidence to IRCC that you have cohabitated for at least one full year. IRCC will not accept a written explanation and texts do not prove cohabitation.

Do you really have nothing after two years of living together? Your bank account statements, credits card statements, phone bills should show this shared address. Same for any employment record. Do you rent the place where you live? If so, you can ask your landlord to sign an affidavit stating you have both lived there continuously for 2 years.

Thank you for your speedy response.

Our account is not joint but there are monies back and forth from our accounts during the period.

We do not have any phone bills, internet and utility was covered in the rent.

The original plan was to stay at the house temporary but very quickly temporary turn into 2 years.

We used our other address because we always considered living together as temporary because we were in school.

Tru247

Aug 11, 2019
Thank you for your speedy response.

Our account is not joint but there are monies back and forth from our accounts during the period.

We do not have any phone bills, internet and utility was covered in the rent.

The original plan was to stay at the house temporary but very quickly temporary turn into 2 years.

We used our other address because we always considered living together as temporary because we were in school.
Can a signed affidavit from the landlord alone suffice?

Tru247

Aug 11, 2019
And the site did state that if we do not have the documents a detailed explanation must be provided...

Is it that others have applied and did not get through with a detailed explanation .

sibnadian

Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think just an affidavit will do it.
It will help, if other documents are also submitted.
Did you have any amazon deliveries to your residence. To your name and your spouse's name?
That would help.
What about your rental agreement?
What about your address at the school you attend? You can perhaps submit your student record (aka transcript). It usually has the student's address.
What about doctors' visits? Dentists?

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Definitely write a letter of explanation! They are looking for official proof, but if you have none, think outside the box: Online shopping invoices, delivery invoices, magazine subscriptions, gym membership contracts, health care, dentist invoice, letters/postcards/greeting cards sent to you both, etc. Proof doesn't have to have BOTH names on it, you can submit separate documents for each person showing the same address on both.

Also, include a signed affidavit from landlord stating you BOTH have been living there for x amount of time.

You could also get signed affidavits from a neighbour saying that they know you are both living there, nice couple, see them frequently over the past two years going to and from, etc. Letters from a friend or coworker also stating that they know you've been living together for x years, been over for dinner parties, drop you off there, etc. (be specific in these letters mentioning a few exact dates over the past two years eg. In December 2018 Jane and John threw a Christmas party at their apartment attended by myself and 12 other friends)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And the site did state that if we do not have the documents a detailed explanation must be provided...

Is it that others have applied and did not get through with a detailed explanation .
That is simply IRCC trying to be fair. If you have no actual proof of common-law, you won't be approved.