+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving citizenship without Canadian Parent's Birth Certificate?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I think it has to do with preventing identity fraud / thief and expected level of personal privacy, mainly rules of consent. Government doesn't want to get caught in liabilities by giving information out without the person's consent.
Yeah I know what you mean. It's OK if the government sets the privacy level like that.
But then, on the other hand, it seems wrong to me to require and applicant for no matter what government action (in this case, provide proof of canadian citizenship) to produce a document that they are legally not entitled to obtain.

Technically, unless you go through a crazy case at the courts, if you are not on good terms with your parents (so that you can get their certificate) but are a Canadian citizen by descent, it is impossible for you to get your Canadian Citizenship certificate. This might leave you not actually stateless (because you are technically a Canadian Citizen) but at least factually stateless (because there is no way for you to prove it).

Reactions: robinspree

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Yeah I know what you mean. It's OK if the government sets the privacy level like that.
But then, on the other hand, it seems wrong to me to require and applicant for no matter what government action (in this case, provide proof of canadian citizenship) to produce a document that they are legally not entitled to obtain.

Technically, unless you go through a crazy case at the courts, if you are not on good terms with your parents (so that you can get their certificate) but are a Canadian citizen by descent, it is impossible for you to get your Canadian Citizenship certificate. This might leave you not actually stateless (because you are technically a Canadian Citizen) but at least factually stateless (because there is no way for you to prove it).
1. The OP is not stateless as s/he is a US citizen.

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
Hi
1. The OP is not stateless as s/he is a US citizen.
That's because OP is lucky. If (s)he was born in a country without birthright citizenship law, and his/her mother's citizenship could not be inherited, (s)he would definitely become stateless. Then Canadian government would have violated UN Conventions on Statelessness.

Reactions: robinspree

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
That's because OP is lucky. If (s)he was born in a country without birthright citizenship law, and his/her mother's citizenship could not be inherited, (s)he would definitely become stateless. Then Canadian government would have violated UN Conventions on Statelessness.
Exactly! I personally believe Canadian and European courts would force parents to give birthcertifications if not for child atleast to center where they process all the applications so child (adult or minor) would get his right identity.

Im not sure about Us court after all the comments i read.

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
Exactly! I personally believe Canadian and European courts would force parents to give birthcertifications if not for child atleast to center where they process all the applications so child (adult or minor) would get his right identity.
Again, do not expect Canada and US have the same level of human rights as Europe. In terms of human rights, Canada and US are still very backwards countries. I know in Britain to apply passport, you don't even need paper proof from parents, just their passport numbers are OK, government will verify their citizenship. Citizenship from birth is a right, not a privilege like naturalized citizenship.

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
Okay i found case where parent is forced to order long term birth certification for child.

I know someone will say thats under 18 years old child, thats true but even Canadian child support dont end at 18 nesscerialy so why would they not force parent even child is adult? And i know this will not probaply work if parent is staying out of the country.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2006/2006oncj28/2006oncj28.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAdQmlydGggY2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBlbWVyZ2FuY3kAAAAAAQ&resultIndex=2

Last edited:

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Okay i found case where parent is forced to order long term birth certification for child.

I know someone will say thats under 18 years old child, thats true but even Canadian child support dont end at 18 nesscerialy so why would they not force parent even child is adult? And i know this will not probaply work if parent is staying out of the country.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/oncj/doc/2006/2006oncj28/2006oncj28.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAdQmlydGggY2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBlbWVyZ2FuY3kAAAAAAQ&resultIndex=2
In paragraphs 1 and 7, the father believed that the mother should have given him their son's birth certificate so that he could submit it to the passport office. The judge rejected that excuse and said that it was his responsibility. While the judge's rejection of the father's statement could be generally interpreted as the father being ordered to obtain the birth certificate, the father is not disputing or refusing to supply the birth certificate; he is being ordered because the mother does not have to supply the document, so the sole responsibility falls on him to do so.