+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Provincial Medical Services Plan - in BC, Can I get it with the PR card?

Ema2000

Dec 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2016 send
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 upfront
LANDED..........
11-06-2016 flagpole
Provincial Medical Services Plan - in BC, Can I get it with the PR card?

I wonder can I get the Provincial Medical Services Plan or BC Health Card and the BC card with the PR card ... which should be in the mail the next weeks?

or do I have to wait 3 month?

and what else do I need?
I got the SIN!

How much is it do get Canadian driver licence? I have one from Germany!

thanks!
happy Canada day
:)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You aren't required to wait for the PR card to apply for MSP.

Check ICBC's website to see if you can exchange your license.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Herzlich Willkommen! ;D

You'll have to wait 3 month but you can send them the form already:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-forms/msp/forms-for-bc-residents#enrolment

Good news is you don't need to do any testing, just apply for the DL at ICBC. They'll take your German license, you'll get a yellow paper which is a temporary license and it might take up to 10 maybe 14 days to get the DL in the mail. Usually it takes a week. You don't need an appointment for that. Not sure what it costs....sorry I forgot. Just call them, they'll tell you.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/Pages/Moving-from-another-country.aspx

Get a SIN card, DL, MSP, Bank account, and I would check on extended health coverage - super important in Canada! Look around there are some options, so you should take your time.

Good luck :)

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Agreed with the previous comments. You do not have to wait until you have the PR card in order to be eligible for BC MSP coverage.

As for the waiting period, the BC Msp website reads - "New (and returning) residents are required to complete a wait period consisting of the balance of the month in which residence in British Columbia is established, plus two months before benefits can begin." - Source

So, it is around 2.5 - 3 months for you to wait for the coverage from the moment you send your application to the BC Health Ministry office in Victoria.

In the meantime, you may consider getting the insurance to cover the costs for medical emergencies. You will be able to calculate yourself a quote and see what kind of coverage is offered - Temporary Insurance for New Immigrants

Last edited: