+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Provincial Immigration Program with preferred skills requirements

Champlain

Apr 22, 2015
Hello Folks,

I was directed into this forum over from my old thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/any-change-in-immigration-policy-imminent-for-people-50-of-age-t366144.0.html

In short, I am looking for a provincial immigration program that would allow me to offset my age disadvantage (I am soon to be 53), with my extensive skill set as a computer engineer and consultant in large scale corporate IT.

I was told that, after the federal program abandonment preferred skills categories, that I just couldn't get enough points together to make up for my "advanced age".
So I need a (provincial) immigration program that would allow me to compensate for being such "an old geezer" (at 53).

Any help here is appreciated.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Start with the list of PTs PNPs:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

Near the bottom of the page are the links to the PTs PNP websites where the requirements/eligibility for the respected PNPs are listed.

.../atb

sophiathefirst

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2015
Nomination.....
12-2014
AOR Received.
10-05-2015 10-06-2015 (UCI)
Med's Request
16-07-2015 (MR, PCC, RPRF)
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 1Oct'15 PPR: 2Oct'15 Forwarded to CVAC SG 5Oct'15
VISA ISSUED...
14 Oct'15
Admired you for always taking action on what you want even reaching so- called advanced age. Salute!

Champlain

Apr 22, 2015
sophiathefirst said:
Admired you for always taking action on what you want even reaching so- called advanced age. Salute!
Thx for your laurels, but I feel just the opposite.
I was a fool for having wasted too much time trying to legalize myself in the States, when just up North Canada would have been the better choice all along.
And then I missed the deadline for filing under the old system by a measly 2 1/2 months :-(

Champlain

Apr 22, 2015
ragluf said:
Start with the list of PTs PNPs:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

Near the bottom of the page are the links to the PTs PNP websites where the requirements/eligibility for the respected PNPs are listed.

.../atb
It might be asking a bit much, but could you give me a hint as to which provinces might have included a need for skilled IT professionals in their program?
Otherwise I'll have to forage through a dozen provincial websites to find out ...

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hmmm...if you have an Express Entry profile and your CRS score is above 400, you can wait for an invite from Ontario. From the trend of people here who received invites, they favor the IT NOCs.
SINP also frequently has the IT NOCs as "in demand" as there is no CRS threshold. But SINP is closed for the year, so you may have to wait until January.
You did not mention if you have a valid Express Entry profile yet. In any case, SINP has 2 streams available without job offer, for Express Entry, and another In-Demand which doesn't require Express Entry and therefore does not require passing the FSWP score mark of 67, in case you cannot make it as age points are 0 and assuming you cannot claim 10 adaptability points from spouse's IELTS and a relative in Canada.
If you do not have your IELTS and ECA yet, please start preparing already, as SINP In Demand's 1000 slots literally gets filled up in 1 day.

My relative got FSWP last year by the skin of his neck at age 55+, but he needed all those 10 adaptability points to make it to 67.

Champlain

Apr 22, 2015
bellaluna said:
Hmmm...if you have an Express Entry profile and your CRS score is above 400, you can wait for an invite from Ontario. From the trend of people here who received invites, they favor the IT NOCs.
SINP also frequently has the IT NOCs as "in demand" as there is no CRS threshold. But SINP is closed for the year, so you may have to wait until January.
You did not mention if you have a valid Express Entry profile yet. In any case, SINP has 2 streams available without job offer, for Express Entry, and another In-Demand which doesn't require Express Entry and therefore does not require passing the FSWP score mark of 67, in case you cannot make it as age points are 0 and assuming you cannot claim 10 adaptability points from spouse's IELTS and a relative in Canada.
If you do not have your IELTS and ECA yet, please start preparing already, as SINP In Demand's 1000 slots literally gets filled up in 1 day.

My relative got FSWP last year by the skin of his neck at age 55+, but he needed all those 10 adaptability points to make it to 67.
Thx a lot for all your info, but unfortunately I only recognize the IELTS (which I got) among all your abbreviations.
I'll have to google the rest later to figure out what they mean, but thanks a lot anyway.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
^ LOL, yeah, you need to do your homework if you really want to migrate. :)

OK, in a nutshell, if you don't have a spouse (who will take the IELTS) or a close/blood relative in Canada, I don't think you can have an eligible Express Entry profile, from the experience of my relative of a similar age. So the Saskatchewan provincial nomination in the Occupations in Demand category is your best shot.

Here is more info, but it is closed right now:
http://www.economy.gov.sk.ca/immigration/occupations-in-demand