+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Provide Original Record of Landing for Oath Ceremony. Is it Mandatory?

YaSaKo

Mar 29, 2018
Hi everyone. I truly need some help and I hope some of you can share your experiences.

On June 19th, 2018 I received a letter of invite to attend the Citizenship Oath ceremony on July 4th, 2018. One of the original documents they are requesting me to provide is the record of landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), but unfortunately for me I don't have neither of those documents (I couldn't even find a copy).

During the entire process I was never asked to provide those document, and as you can tell for the dates I quoted above I literally have very limited time to obtain a copy of the Confirmation of Permanent Residence. I already applied to obtain a copy of the COPR (Urgent Case), but I am not quite sure what to do if I don't receive it before July 4th.

Could you please share your case with me:
  1. Were you required to bring the original of your record of landing?
  2. If you answered "YES" to question (1). Did you bring the original record of landing?
  3. If you answered "NO" to question (2). Could you please share your experience?
  4. If you answered "YES" to questions (1) and (2). Did the immigration officer ask you to show him/her the record of landing?

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: zardoz

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
1. Everyone is required to bring it. I don't believe there have been any exceptions to the documents listed in the letter.

I'm wondering why you didn't want to hear from someone that answered "NO" to question 2, since that is the position you're in. You're wondering if everyone did get checked and if there is a chance you won't, when the question you should be asking is what they do when you're asked to provide it and don't have it.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Hi everyone. I truly need some help and I hope some of you can share your experiences.

On June 19th, 2018 I received a letter of invite to attend the Citizenship Oath ceremony on July 4th, 2018. One of the original documents they are requesting me to provide is the record of landing (IMM1000), but unfortunately for me I don't have it (I couldn't even find a copy).

During the entire process I was never asked to provide such document, and as you can tell for the dates I quoted above I literally have very limited time to obtain a copy of the record of landing. I already applied to obtain a copy of the record of landing (Urgent Case), but I am not quite sure what to do if I don't receive it before July 4th.

Could you please share your case with me:
  1. Were you required to bring the original of your record of landing?
  2. If you answered "YES" to question (1). Did you bring the original record of landing?
  3. If you answered "YES" to questions (1) and (2). Did the immigration officer ask you to show him/her the record of landing?

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Regards
Bring your confirmation of permanent residence status instead.

YaSaKo

Mar 29, 2018
1. Everyone is required to bring it. I don't believe there have been any exceptions to the documents listed in the letter.

I'm wondering why you didn't want to hear from someone that answered "NO" to question 2, since that is the position you're in. You're wondering if everyone did get checked and if there is a chance you won't, when the question you should be asking is what they do when you're asked to provide it and don't have it.
Very valid point. I am going to edit my original posting.

Thanks!

YaSaKo

Mar 29, 2018
Bring your confirmation of permanent residence status instead.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have a confirmation of permanent residence.

I already sent an application on June 22nd to request the confirmation of residence but I only have around 10 days to obtained it.

Thanks for your reply

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Don't worry.
While I had my COPR with me (and my proof of language since it's also requested...), they didn't ask for it, quickly looked at my passport and ID, took the PR card, and that was it. Took one minute.
If you get asked for the COPR for some reason, just let them know you don't have it and asked for a replacement, they'll shrug and tell you that they don't need it :)

Reactions: Micah008

YaSaKo

Mar 29, 2018
Don't worry.
While I had my COPR with me (and my proof of language since it's also requested...), they didn't ask for it, quickly looked at my passport and ID, took the PR card, and that was it. Took one minute.
If you get asked for the COPR for some reason, just let them know you don't have it and asked for a replacement, they'll shrug and tell you that they don't need it :)
That sounds very encouraging. I truly hope they don't reject me at the door for not showing them my COPR.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Micah008

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I think it depends on the interviewer. I have a friend who just had her interview in Scarborough. She didn't have her CoPR and the interviewer gave her a hard time about it. But she doesn't know if it impacts her application at all.

Micah008

Nov 5, 2017
There was a post here a few weeks ago where someone said someone at the oath ceremony did not have the copr but still collected his citizenship certificate.

However, the copr is still needed for your pension in the future, so you can request for it later or anytime. Don't forget to keep the receipt as proof of payment. You can take the receipt of payment with you for your citizenship ceremony, but there is a high chance it won't be asked of anyway.