+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prove of a common-law marriage through express entry

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
Hello!

I have a question about proving my common-law marriage. Me and my common-law wife have been living together in my mother’s owned apartmetn for nearly 2 years. We don’t have any rental agreements and joint bills due apparent reasons such as all bills come straight to my mother’s name and we don’t pay anything.

A question is, will it be enough to have a letter from my mother as the owner of an apartment that we have been living together for 2 years.

Of course, there will be other evidences and prove in form of joint accounts, car’s documents issued on my wife and travel documents/photos.

I would like to know your opinion about this. Thank you in advance.

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
First off, it's common-law partnership, not marriage.

A letter from your mother is not enough but you can use it.

Joint account-Yes

Letters or documents don't have to have both of your names, you can show documents containing only her name and other documents showing only your name, as long as it will be possible to discern from them that you have been receiving them at the same address, then you're good.

The max file size is 4 mb so you need to prepare it properly so that things fit in it.

The more you show the better, it's never too much.

Reactions: ViAchKoN

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018

Joint account-Yes

Letters or documents don't have to have both of your names, you can show documents containing only her name and other documents showing only your name, as long as it will be possible to discern from them that you have been receiving them at the same address, then you're good.

The max file size is 4 mb so you need to prepare it properly so that things fit in it.

The problem is that there wasn’t any letters either for me or to her because we didn’t require it. All was done through the Internet. There are some online shopping receipts but they would be hard to find. And basically, there are no documets which I poses where it is written my current address although I have been living here for more than 2 years.

That is why I thought that my mom’s letter will be enough. Apparently, she is owner and who lives at her apartment.

It all because my country’s legislation we don’t have many thing which other English countries require.

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018

Joint account-Yes

Also what about e-mails? I mean in which theeaddress is written. Can they be used to prove the same address?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Also what about e-mails? I mean in which theeaddress is written. Can they be used to prove the same address?
It's not really usual to use that but still, even if this were to be approved, you'd still need more proof and that proof should cover at least 1 year.

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
It's not really usual to use that but still, even if this were to be approved, you'd still need more proof and that proof should cover at least 1 year.
Can you answer one more question. Will be there any problems with documents showing our common-law partnership which are made recently. For example, such a documents for a car and which allow the partner to use my finances.

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Can you answer one more question. Will be there any problems with documents showing our common-law partnership which are made recently. For example, such a documents for a car and which allow the partner to use my finances.
Recent docs could be misconstrued and considered for the purpose of convenience. But that's only my opinion. Try to gather anything from the last year or more, it doesn't have to be the same letter or bill, you can use different things as long as they contain your names for the same address. Where do you live ?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Think of anything, maybe a grocery bill, water bill, bank letters etc. As long as your common-law relationship is real and has lasted for at least a year, then you have nothing to worry about but you have to substantiate that with papers. Maybe you have a university letter, a subscription, phone bill, anything is just as good.

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
Think of anything, maybe a grocery bill, water bill, bank letters etc. As long as your common-law relationship is real and has lasted for at least a year, then you have nothing to worry about but you have to substantiate that with papers. Maybe you have a university letter, a subscription, phone bill, anything is just as good.
I live in Moscow, Russia. We did not need to have any special documets for example to share a car or transfer each other money. So we have started to prepare documents just recently for immigration purposes. I know that there are explanation letters in which I can put all information about it.
Our relationship is real, we have a lot of photos from different places and she has been living with me for a quite some time. But as I said, documentation is a hard thing to do.
So how do you think it is possible to explain why we have started to make all this documents only right now?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
I live in Moscow, Russia. We did not need to have any special documets for example to share a car or transfer each other money. So we have started to prepare documents just recently for immigration purposes. I know that there are explanation letters in which I can put all information about it.
Our relationship is real, we have a lot of photos from different places and she has been living with me for a quite some time. But as I said, documentation is a hard thing to do.
So how do you think it is possible to explain why we have started to make all this documents only right now?
You can explain. Pictures are Ok, if you have pictures taken of you inside your house showing date stamps or showing different looks and haircuts, that could help. Remember, you have to prove cohabitation of at least one year in a committed relationship so just your own words wouldn't be enough unless you convince the visa officer otherwise. Of course, that will be left to the VO's judgement, then again, the VO doesn't know you and they have to see evidence supporting your claim of common-law. It doesn't matter how you prove it as long as you're able to prove it.

You can use sms and WhatsApp messages exchanged between you, but I presume they're in Russian so that won't help. Good luck

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Proof of financial and emotional dependency.

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
Yeah, I have read all official sources and other forums. But sadly, all situations are not the same =((
I hope that, photos, shared accounts and documents for my car, some letters, and an official letter from my mom that she knew and approved our living together in her apartment are enough to prove our relationship.
Thank you for your answer !

dvkh

Jun 2, 2019
Hello!

I have a question about proving my common-law marriage. Me and my common-law wife have been living together in my mother’s owned apartmetn for nearly 2 years. We don’t have any rental agreements and joint bills due apparent reasons such as all bills come straight to my mother’s name and we don’t pay anything.

A question is, will it be enough to have a letter from my mother as the owner of an apartment that we have been living together for 2 years.

Of course, there will be other evidences and prove in form of joint accounts, car’s documents issued on my wife and travel documents/photos.

I would like to know your opinion about this. Thank you in advance.
Hello! I assumed you already got your PR? If so, could you kindly let us know what documents you ended up submitting? My partner and I are in a similar situation. We don't have many documents to prove but we have many photos and social media messages to show. Thanks!

ViAchKoN

Jun 2, 2018
Hello! I assumed you already got your PR? If so, could you kindly let us know what documents you ended up submitting? My partner and I are in a similar situation. We don't have many documents to prove but we have many photos and social media messages to show. Thanks!
Hello!
It is said but we are still waiting for PR because of security screening. But everything considering eligibility is fine.