+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protocol to bring jewelery upon first landing as PR at POE

ashpkgo70

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I have searched a lot and asked many a people but they are not sure about the protocol of bringing jewlelery into Canada on first landing as permanent resident at POE. I have gone thru customs website and CIC website but could not find clear instructions.

Question is I have few jewelry, some I am currently wearing and some I have with me. Could anyone please help me how can I bring my jewelry. Some say I need to have bills, have photographs to show at customs and have to add among other items in my list of good I am carrying. Could anyone please let me know the whole procedure.

Please note that I will be landing first time in Canada after receiving my PR visa.

Thanks in advance.

AK_canada

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
Hi, I'm addressing the same issue on my end. Hoping to find relevant info on this thread.

But what i have understood so far, and implementing the same unless i read any additional info is:

list what i am wearing (including watch) in the goods carrying BSF 186 form
+ along with the BSF186A goods to follow form i have pictures of all items i will carry eventually, in an excel format with ball park values in CAD (ps: they assume whatever asset u owned was disposed off at fair market value and you have the highest denomination available on repurchase) - highest value disclosed is key so any appreciation is not lost - no duty is paid bcz u have previously owned the respective pieces.

My Query considering you're prepping for landing too, with respect to transfer of funds to CA, how are u planning that?

My options are:
cash + FX card for regular use + does a Demand Draft deposit work for CA bank or a Travellers check get deposited?

Any thoughts?

ashpkgo70

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cash, DD, traveller's cheque, bank statement, canadian bank deposit in advance are all the valid means of carrying funds into Canada. Generally people carry funds in combination of above. I am planning to carry my funds as bank statements. Let me know if you find any leads regarding jewelry carrying.