+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected person returning to his/her own country

luckyasant

May 16, 2019
Hi, I was told by a friend that after 5yrs as a refugee claimant with a PR card, you can actually travel to your country of origin (with your passport) because, you are no longer facing any threat. Don't know if true or not... pls comment... thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Until you receive citizenship, travel to your home country, or any other country with your home country passport can be considered reavailment. As can passport renewal. Your friend is offering extremely poor advice.

Reactions: luckyasant
S

Singerbwoy

Hi, I was told by a friend that after 5yrs as a refugee claimant with a PR card, you can actually travel to your country of origin (with your passport) because, you are no longer facing any threat. Don't know if true or not... pls comment... thanks

no you can not go home until you become a canadian citizen. do not even renew your home country passport get a PRTD to travel if you need.

juanchof33

Apr 17, 2019
Hi, i heard that even being Canadian citizen if you were a refugee should not travel ever to your country of origin. is that true?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, i heard that even being Canadian citizen if you were a refugee should not travel ever to your country of origin. is that true?
Although you are allowed to return to your home country people do have negative reactions if they hear you were able to return to your home country soon after receiving citizenship.