+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected person - Open work permit expired

HarinLeo

Star Member
Dec 15, 2023
Hi Folks,
My cousin is a protected person in Canada and his two years open work permit has been expired. So I helped him to renew his work permit. After I submitted his application in Oct 2023, He received a biometric request and he has done his biometric accordingly.

He received a correspondence today stating that "RE: validity of your biometric information: Thank you for providing your biometric information (i.e. digital fingerprints and photograph) in support of your temporary resident application to Canada. The purpose of this letter is to notify you that your biometric information is valid until (yyyy/mm/dd) for subsequent temporary resident applications to Canada "

My question is that Is this a normal process to apply for work permit renewal ?

or

the open work permit renewal will change his status in Canada?

or

If this complicated, should I withdraw the application?

Pease advise me.

Thank you

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Hi Folks,
My cousin is a protected person in Canada and his two years open work permit has been expired. So I helped him to renew his work permit. After I submitted his application in Oct 2023, He received a biometric request and he has done his biometric accordingly.

He received a correspondence today stating that "RE: validity of your biometric information: Thank you for providing your biometric information (i.e. digital fingerprints and photograph) in support of your temporary resident application to Canada. The purpose of this letter is to notify you that your biometric information is valid until (yyyy/mm/dd) for subsequent temporary resident applications to Canada "

My question is that Is this a normal process to apply for work permit renewal ?

or

the open work permit renewal will change his status in Canada?

or

If this complicated, should I withdraw the application?

Pease advise me.

Thank you
from my experience this is normal. I applied to renew my open work permit in October 2023 (3rd or 4th time) and this was the first time they asked for my biometrics.

I submitted it and got the same letter, its their standard process.

it is basically just saying the biometrics your cousin submitted will be used for this work permit application and any other applications you may submit in the future until the expiry date they mentioned.

i already got my new work permit 2 weeks ago.

hope this helps!

HarinLeo

Star Member
Dec 15, 2023
from my experience this is normal. I applied to renew my open work permit in October 2023 (3rd or 4th time) and this was the first time they asked for my biometrics.

it is basically just saying the biometrics your cousin submitted will be used for this work permit application and any other applications you may submit in the future until the expiry date they mentioned.

hope this helps!
Thank you so much.

Reactions: ref19to22

iftikhar0022

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
yes of course

i had my hearing in Jan 2022 and was accepted as a PP.

It was the same process before and after.
Can you send me the link to extension of open work permit renewal and SIN renewal for protected person.
And how many days before it expires should it be applied?

Jimmy4u

Jul 18, 2019

hope this helps!
Hi dear have you paid the work permit fees. Because I have received letter for pay fees for biometrics and work permit. I'm protected person

Jimmy4u

Jul 18, 2019
I have renewed my work permit 3-4 times in the last 5 years and I have never paid as protected persons are exempt.
perhaps you can get a refund if you are a PP?
if I paid fees for work permit extension can I get refund automatically