+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prospective landlord wants to keep mailing address.

criveros

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
My wife (applicant) and myself recently submitted the inland application 2 weeks ago we haven't heard back yet.

My lease will be ending soon so we are looking for a place to move. The prospective landlord where we are looking is giving us a good deal $150 below market price. BUT he is also asking to keep the mailing address. So we would need to get a PO box.

Would not having a residential address affect our process?

Unrelated: now that we have submitted our application what are the next steps?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
criveros said:
My wife (applicant) and myself recently submitted the inland application 2 weeks ago we haven't heard back yet.

My lease will be ending soon so we are looking for a place to move. The prospective landlord where we are looking is giving us a good deal $150 below market price. BUT he is also asking to keep the mailing address. So we would need to get a PO box.

Would not having a residential address affect our process?

Unrelated: now that we have submitted our application what are the next steps?
Your residential address will be your actual home address (like for when you do taxes, or for immigration questions, etc). Your mailing address would be the PO Box.

You can't make your residential address a PO Box. Like it or not, there will be mail delivered to your home from time to time.

When you move, you'll need to update CIC with your new residential and mailing address.

On a side note, why is the landlord asking you to do this? It sounds like they may be trying to scam CRA to claim the rental property as their home address, so they can eventually sell the place without having to pay capital gains. Are they asking you to pay in cash also, and will not issue you receipts? They may also be trying to scam by not claiming the rental income.

criveros

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2017
Rob_TO said:
Your residential address will be your actual home address (like for when you do taxes, or for immigration questions, etc). Your mailing address would be the PO Box.

You can't make your residential address a PO Box. Like it or not, there will be mail delivered to your home from time to time.

When you move, you'll need to update CIC with your new residential and mailing address.

On a side note, why is the landlord asking you to do this? It sounds like they may be trying to scam CRA to claim the rental property as their home address, so they can eventually sell the place without having to pay capital gains. Are they asking you to pay in cash also, and will not issue you receipts? They may also be trying to scam by not claiming the rental income.
Yes. Cash and no receipts. He recommended for us to use my mom's address as our residential address. I do think he is trying to scam CRA and I think we will not move forward with it.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Rob_TO said:

Wow, good call Rob. Man people are sleazy.