+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pros and cons of having 2nd Child in canada?

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
Hello,

We are in the middle of our work permit application and if everything goes well, we will be in canada on 2 year work permit in 2020. We are planning and 2nd kid and have option to have the kid in canada or back in our home country. We are planning for a PR after work permit.

I am wondering if there is a list of Pros and cons of having a kid in canada vs our home country?

Thanks

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
If the idea is to get your child Canadian citizenship then it's a different discussion but I can highlight one disadvantage.
Family support : it's always good to have family around with the birth of a new child. Having said that you can still manage without any support as millions of immigrants have.
If you are new in Canada then the support system (friends) might be non existent which might also add to pressure on you.

The pro would be obviously paper work which is not required to bring the new child to the country.

Reactions: canadavisaQs

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
If the idea is to get your child Canadian citizenship then it's a different discussion but I can highlight one disadvantage.
Family support : it's always good to have family around with the birth of a new child. Having said that you can still manage without any support as millions of immigrants have.
If you are new in Canada then the support system (friends) might be non existent which might also add to pressure on you.

The pro would be obviously paper work which is not required to bring the new child to the country.
Thank you for the reply, the idea is not to get the child canadian citizen only. We are in the middle of moving to canada and eventually will get to citizenship anyways. Incase we aren't able to get PR or citizenship the child can't be living without us so the citizenship doesn't really help.

As far as family support goes, don't really matter in either country, we are close to only couple of family members back in home country who will be happy to come live with us for few months during final tremester of pregnancy and child birth, also since these family members have US visa and strong ties in home country i do not see them having any problem getting canada visitors visa.

the paperwork thing is obviously a help.

Thanks again for replying.

Miumiu

Aug 12, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Thank you for the reply, the idea is not to get the child canadian citizen only. We are in the middle of moving to canada and eventually will get to citizenship anyways. Incase we aren't able to get PR or citizenship the child can't be living without us so the citizenship doesn't really help.

As far as family support goes, don't really matter in either country, we are close to only couple of family members back in home country who will be happy to come live with us for few months during final tremester of pregnancy and child birth, also since these family members have US visa and strong ties in home country i do not see them having any problem getting canada visitors visa.

Hi there! I like it that you have considered all the possibilities. Family is the most important thing. :)
I have a friend who were in a similar situation. She had her second baby while residing in Canada on a work visa. She applied for PR and is waiting to be approved. All the best to you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You have to plan for family members not to be approved for long stays. Has your family member visited the US regularly? Many people are surprised when family members are not approved to come and stay for delivery and postpartum period. Husbands are expected to help their spouse and Canada offers parental leave so husbands often take at least a week or two off work after delivery to help their spouse with shopping, cleaning cooking, childcare. The only issue is if you have other children. You will need childcare during labour and delivery. Normally women are home within 24 hours of delivery.

What do you mean when you say you won’t only get Canadian citizenship for your child? If giving birth in Canada your child will only have Canadian citizenship.