+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pros and Cons of buying a Condo Town House

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Want to get the perspective from someone who has already bought one, as to what has been their experience and how would they rate buying a Condo Town House.
Pros and Cons would be very much appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pros: Having your own entrance. But still have access to condo amenities such as swimming pool / gym

Cons: Similar to single detached homes, occupants have to take out their own garbage/recycling/green bins according to municipality.

Reactions: Shaikhzees

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Want to get the perspective from someone who has already bought one, as to what has been their experience and how would they rate buying a Condo Town House.
Pros: Cheaper to buy, in most cases professionally maintained, shared amenities in better condition.

Cons: Will not appreciate in price as much as freehold townhouse when you want to sell, Condo fee on top of your mortgage, Condo rules may not fit your needs (e.g. some have a no pets policy)

SpiritRoom

Jul 24, 2017
Cons: Definitely limited space. I've heard of condos limiting pets even those in a fish tank (understandable because the danger of leaking in the event that you are out of town).
Pros: A welcome challenge for DIY interior decorators. But even with a size as small as the ones in this link, sometimes if the height is not enough, you still cannot maximize it.

mahmoodpasha

Sep 22, 2017
I know its an old Thread but i thought i should reply....

I had been in Canada for 12 years, Owned a Condo Apartment 2005, then owned a condo town house 2006, then moved to Freehold Semi in 2009 and finally moved to a detached home 2016...

Property appreciates whether its a Condo townhouse , semi or detached.... Usually the appreciation is around 6 to 7 % every year... it is best to do the research before buying the property, Schools rating effects the price alot... for Intstance the best school considered in Mississauga is John Fraser and the houses sell faster and appreciates well just because of the schools in that neighborhood, similarly churchill meadows area in mississauga.

Pros of Condo Town House: Pros will depend what is covered in the condo fees, The condo I Had, condo management was resposnsible to change the roof and drive way when needed, snow removal by condo management, grass and backyard maintenance by condo management, nice clean environment... peace of mind..

Cons: The dont allow to change the exterior of the house , they sometime dont allow to mount dish antenna on the outer structure of the house, Condo Fees (If the unit is too old the condo fee may be too high) but if its a nice neighbourhood with quality construction the condo fees is usually around $250 or lower, Condo townhouse you cannot rent the basement if you wish to make some extra money.

Reactions: Samp1975

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Condo townhouse you cannot rent the basement if you wish to make some extra money.
Depending to the strata bylaw, if permitted, you can always rent out your basement in your condo townhouse, just in the same manner if you have an extra bedroom and you want to rent it out to make extra money.

In case you are not aware of this, here is an example:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/one-room-available-for-rent-female-only-in-london-ontario.518239/

Last edited:

mahmoodpasha

Sep 22, 2017
Depending to the strata bylaw, if permitted, you can always rent out your basement in your condo townhouse, just in the same manner if you have an extra bedroom and you want to rent it out to make extra money.

In case you are not aware of this, here is an example:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/one-room-available-for-rent-female-only-in-london-ontario.518239/
Steaky, that actually sharing accomodation the example you quoted.

Anyways if your condominiums allow you, you can rent your basement to a single family provided there is a separate entrance, otherwise you will be sharing the house as it will have one access.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Steaky, that actually sharing accomodation the example you quoted.

Anyways if your condominiums allow you, you can rent your basement to a single family provided there is a separate entrance, otherwise you will be sharing the house as it will have one access.
In any case, sharing is an option if the strata allows it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't purchased my own yet, but I'm currently renting one, so maybe I can help.
Pros: cheaper than an SFH, amenities are great, lower maintenance
Cons: sharing a common wall with your neighbors, less space and privacy
But weighing the pros and cons of the two, it's definitely worth it to purchase one. The disadvantages are nothing too crazy that makes it hard to live in. But for me, I want a little more privacy so I'm looking to buy a freehold town here: https://paradisedevelopments.com/opening-soon/hallmark/.
When you look at SFH duplexes, you share common wall with your neighbors too.

Samp1975

Oct 10, 2017
Condo Townhouses can be a good option for small families or couples - especially the newer developments where Codes make sure there's enough Hard/Soft Landscape and Light distribution into the units.

Pros
- Condo Fees should cover landscaping, snow removal, roof/paver updates, HVAC issues & upkeep of amenity areas.
- Newer units come designed with green areas/kids play areas safe from through traffic and nestled away from external traffic
- Safety and security, and in some developments, a shuttle service to the nearest Mass transit.
- Access to the gyms/pools/party halls/general bbq areas from the connected towers or central area if its only low rise
- The price point, and locality of the development should generally appeal to specific earning bracket of professionals so potentially similar neighbours.
- Generally the new developments will have a close-by access to a Bus stop, supermarket etc
- Below grade dedicated parking garage and rental locker storage space.

Cons
- If the townhouses are back to back, and 3 level units, you're looking at natural light only from one side of the unit and 3 level units also
means higher stair risers where developers try to fit in more into lesser space. Corner units fare better. (PS - no backyards)
- HVAC systems failing or requiring work can take time.
- Sharing walls. While there's a lot of acoustic treatment as per code, loud people might still be heard.
- Small frontyards
- Close Proximity to neighbours - if you get a bad one...
- Condo Fees : These will only rise and you have no controls on that.
- Not spoken about or noted often, until you actually live there, but if there are towers on the same development, you will be witness to a lot of loud cars/guests/traffic for the 300 units next to you when accessing common facilities. Condos can usually mean a large segment of the younger demographic. Hence the location of your TH is critical.

Reactions: Jakev

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Condo Townhouses can be a good option for small families or couples - especially the newer developments where Codes make sure there's enough Hard/Soft Landscape and Light distribution into the units.

Pros
- Condo Fees should cover landscaping, snow removal, roof/paver updates, HVAC issues & upkeep of amenity areas.
- Newer units come designed with green areas/kids play areas safe from through traffic and nestled away from external traffic
- Safety and security, and in some developments, a shuttle service to the nearest Mass transit.
- Access to the gyms/pools/party halls/general bbq areas from the connected towers or central area if its only low rise
- The price point, and locality of the development should generally appeal to specific earning bracket of professionals so potentially similar neighbours.
- Generally the new developments will have a close-by access to a Bus stop, supermarket etc
- Below grade dedicated parking garage and rental locker storage space.

Cons
- If the townhouses are back to back, and 3 level units, you're looking at natural light only from one side of the unit and 3 level units also
means higher stair risers where developers try to fit in more into lesser space. Corner units fare better. (PS - no backyards)
- HVAC systems failing or requiring work can take time.
- Sharing walls. While there's a lot of acoustic treatment as per code, loud people might still be heard.
- Small frontyards
- Close Proximity to neighbours - if you get a bad one...
- Condo Fees : These will only rise and you have no controls on that.
- Not spoken about or noted often, until you actually live there, but if there are towers on the same development, you will be witness to a lot of loud cars/guests/traffic for the 300 units next to you when accessing common facilities. Condos can usually mean a large segment of the younger demographic. Hence the location of your TH is critical.
- TH can also have backyards; Some TH can also have natural light from all sides of the unit (even back to back).
- Close proximity to neighbours / HVAC can be applicable to all types of properties (not just TH)
- If you volunteer as council members or play active role in your TH strata council, you can have control of the condo fee.

Samp1975

Oct 10, 2017
- TH can also have backyards; Some TH can also have natural light from all sides of the unit (even back to back).
- Close proximity to neighbours / HVAC can be applicable to all types of properties (not just TH)
- If you volunteer as council members or play active role in your TH strata council, you can have control of the condo fee.

- For the first item, i did mention Back-to-Back. Yes, the top rooms will have skylights. However light from all sides in these units is something of a marvel, especially since I'm in the industry *asked* to maximize units. There's no concept of Lightwells here as sq.ft is $$$.
- Yes, absolutely to the other 2 items. The condo fee will still rise over time.