+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

proof that the sponsor intends to reside in canada??

finkol

May 11, 2017
Hello,

Im applying for my wifes PR to Canada. my wife and I are living outside of Canada.

After a long wait, i got an email from manila visa office saying that i (the sponsor) needs to provide information which shows my intention to live in Canada. Below is what the content of the email from visa office:

Based on the documents you submitted, I am not satisfied that your sponsor intends to reside in Canada once you obtain your status as a permanent resident.
If your sponsor can demonstrate that he will reside in Canada before or when you become a permanent resident, it may be possible to proceed with your application.
Any evidence or submission which you or your sponsor may wish to provide must be received by this office within thirty (30) days from the date of this letter. If we have not received a response within that time, your application will be assessed based on the information available on file, which may result in a refusal.

In the application pkg i sent, i have included following to show that my will to relocate my family and i to Canada:
- my family and i will live in my parents basement until we find place of our own (my mom confirmed it in her email)
- send money to my sisters account (i didnt have an Canadian Bank account) in Canada as our starting money in Canada (my sister confirmed it in her email)
- i have applied and received my daughters Canadian Citizenship and her Canadian Passport to prepare for her move to Canada.
- i will work in my parents business when i move back. (my sister confirmed it in her email)

With all that information and documents which i provided in Application PKG, they are asking for more... and i simply dont have a solid idea what else to provide.

Since the submission of application pkg, my wife, my daughter, my mother-in-law and I visited Canada for a month. the purpose of the trip is to show my mother-in-law (who never been to Canada) where her daughter and grand daughter will live once they move to Canada with me. The worries that my mother-in-law had about her daughter moving to Canada disappeared when she saw how beautiful Canada is and how/what I can provide for my wife and daughter. I also opened my own Canadian bank account to keep the starting money.

These two things are only thing that i can think of which can show my intent to reside in Canada.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else i can provide to visa office?

It will be greatly helpful if anyone can give me a guidance on what i can provide to visa office to convince them that my will to reside.

Thank you.

Last edited:

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
Are you a citizen or PR?

Sometimes when you’ve been living abroad for a while it’s tougher to prove your intent to return.

I was also living outside Canada when we applied. I’m sorry, I don’t have any suggestions really; I had pretty much the same sort of evidence you have and didn’t have any issues being accepted as a sponsor.

Maybe print out some apartment searches for the city you’ll be moving to? Research on schools for your daughter. Job searches for your wife when she gets PR.

Sorry couldn’t help you more.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you a citizen or PR?
OP is a citizen. PRs aren't allowed to sponsor while outside of Canada and the application would have been refused by now.

OP - have you spent any time searching for jobs ahead of arriving to Canada? Have you attended any interviews? Do you have any emails that you have exchanged with potential employers that you can show as proof of your intentions to move? I know you'll be living with your family to start, however have you looked into your own housing? Contacted a real estate agent or anything like that? Any evidence of that you can show? Have you contacted schools in the area where you will be living to discuss having your daughter start there? Any evidence of that you can show?

finkol

May 11, 2017
Are you a citizen or PR?

Sometimes when you’ve been living abroad for a while it’s tougher to prove your intent to return.

I was also living outside Canada when we applied. I’m sorry, I don’t have any suggestions really; I had pretty much the same sort of evidence you have and didn’t have any issues being accepted as a sponsor.

Maybe print out some apartment searches for the city you’ll be moving to? Research on schools for your daughter. Job searches for your wife when she gets PR.

Sorry couldn’t help you more.
Im a citizen.
I already have a place for us to stay which i already mentioned to visa office so it would be meaningless to show them apartment searches..
my daughter is two years old and dont need school yet.
wife is pregnant with second child so she wont be able to work for a while.
i really dont have any idea what to provided to visa office to support my intention to move.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

Im applying for my wifes PR to Canada. my wife and I are living outside of Canada.

After a long wait, i got an email from manila visa office saying that i (the sponsor) needs to provide information which shows my intention to live in Canada. Below is what the content of the email from visa office:

Based on the documents you submitted, I am not satisfied that your sponsor intends to reside in Canada once you obtain your status as a permanent resident.
If your sponsor can demonstrate that he will reside in Canada before or when you become a permanent resident, it may be possible to proceed with your application.
Any evidence or submission which you or your sponsor may wish to provide must be received by this office within thirty (30) days from the date of this letter. If we have not received a response within that time, your application will be assessed based on the information available on file, which may result in a refusal.

In the application pkg i sent, i have included following to show that my will to relocate my family and i to Canada:
- my family and i will live in my parents basement until we find place of our own (my mom confirmed it in her email)
- send money to my sisters account (i didnt have an Canadian Bank account) in Canada as our starting money in Canada (my sister confirmed it in her email)
- i have applied and received my daughters Canadian Citizenship and her Canadian Passport to prepare for her move to Canada.
- i will work in my parents business when i move back. (my sister confirmed it in her email)

With all that information and documents which i provided in Application PKG, they are asking for more... and i simply dont have a solid idea what else to provide.

Since the submission of application pkg, my wife, my daughter, my mother-in-law and I visited Canada for a month. the purpose of the trip is to show my mother-in-law (who never been to Canada) where her daughter and grand daughter will live once they move to Canada with me. The worries that my mother-in-law had about her daughter moving to Canada disappeared when she saw how beautiful Canada is and how/what I can provide for my wife and daughter. I also opened my own Canadian bank account to keep the starting money.

These two things are only thing that i can think of which can show my intent to reside in Canada.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else i can provide to visa office?

It will be greatly helpful if anyone can give me a guidance on what i can provide to visa office to convince them that my will to reside.

Thank you.
I would suggest you get notarized letters from your mother and sister confirming what was said in the emails and get a proper letter of offer from the business.

finkol

May 11, 2017
OP is a citizen. PRs aren't allowed to sponsor while outside of Canada and the application would have been refused by now.

OP - have you spent any time searching for jobs ahead of arriving to Canada? Have you attended any interviews? Do you have any emails that you have exchanged with potential employers that you can show as proof of your intentions to move? I know you'll be living with your family to start, however have you looked into your own housing? Contacted a real estate agent or anything like that? Any evidence of that you can show? Have you contacted schools in the area where you will be living to discuss having your daughter start there? Any evidence of that you can show?
thanks for your input.
i never had to look for job or place to live when i move back to Canada because im moving back to canada to work and help my father out with family business. so i never looked for a job in canada. i have talked to a manager i worked for in canada to inquire about job market in canada.. and talked few friends about a job in canada and that is about it.
for living situation... my parents have few empty rooms in their house which they are willing to let us live and im happy to live there as well.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
thanks for your input.
i never had to look for job or place to live when i move back to Canada because im moving back to canada to work and help my father out with family business. so i never looked for a job in canada. i have talked to a manager i worked for in canada to inquire about job market in canada.. and talked few friends about a job in canada and that is about it.
for living situation... my parents have few empty rooms in their house which they are willing to let us live and im happy to live there as well.
You still is trying to explain to forum what you've done, but this is not clearly enough for the VO. Try to be positive and elaborate of what you've provided and and something more. I myself as a sponsor is getting ready for a such of request, so I am talking to all my Canadian friends about their jobs and possibility to get from their companies HR at least a formal letters that they would consider my future resume. The same is with housing, schools, medical insurance, cars import preparation, cross-boarding banking, future taxation issues, DL history records. Also I have a nice job now and going to commute from Canada to US, but I tried to explain that I will find a new job in my area of expertise and meanwhile during job search we have enough money ( documented) to provide ourself for a long time.
Just to show in more details you plan and the plan should be more realistic and convincing.

Last edited:

M.steele

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
I was living abroad for 6 months before applying for my wife and they also asked this from me. With my app I included the following:
Letter from parents stating that we can live there while we look for jobs/house.
Letters from friends and other family stating our intention is always to return to Canada ASAP.
Bank account showing a good amount of money in Canada.

Then we got the same letter as you. I included the following:
Job bank profile for myself showing I am lookign for jobs including some e-mails stating that I applied for positions
I contacted a real estate agent and asked for info on purchasing a home, the process etc.
I contacted a mortgage company asking about when I can apply for mortgage probation period etc
I included quotes for health insurance for my wife upon return.
I included my bank accounts again showing more transfers from Korea to Canada.
Also another explanation that it is difficult to look for a job when I don't know when I will return and I don't want to leave my wife and return early and it is our intention to return ASAP.

This was acceptable to the officer.

finkol

May 11, 2017
I was living abroad for 6 months before applying for my wife and they also asked this from me. With my app I included the following:
Letter from parents stating that we can live there while we look for jobs/house.
Letters from friends and other family stating our intention is always to return to Canada ASAP.
Bank account showing a good amount of money in Canada.

Then we got the same letter as you. I included the following:
Job bank profile for myself showing I am lookign for jobs including some e-mails stating that I applied for positions
I contacted a real estate agent and asked for info on purchasing a home, the process etc.
I contacted a mortgage company asking about when I can apply for mortgage probation period etc
I included quotes for health insurance for my wife upon return.
I included my bank accounts again showing more transfers from Korea to Canada.
Also another explanation that it is difficult to look for a job when I don't know when I will return and I don't want to leave my wife and return early and it is our intention to return ASAP.

This was acceptable to the officer.
thank you for your detailed reply.

did you do all of that inquires after you received a request for additional evidence for intent to reside?

btw i am applying from korea as well.

M.steele

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
thank you for your detailed reply.

did you do all of that inquires after you received a request for additional evidence for intent to reside?

btw i am applying from korea as well.
Yes I did all them after I received the request.

Reactions: finkol

M.steele

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
thanks for your input.
it gives me a sense of direction on what i should do.
No problem. Also your wife may want to take a look at Sucess AEIP in Seoul. They offer a lot of support, my wife has been going there for a few months now.

Reactions: finkol

finkol

May 11, 2017
No problem. Also your wife may want to take a look at Sucess AEIP in Seoul. They offer a lot of support, my wife has been going there for a few months now.
wow...
Thank you for sharing this.
i didnt even know there is such organization in seoul to help people like my wife.
adopting the life style for me and my babies are no worries for me.. but it is my wife whom i worry for.
but sadly we dont live in Seoul. we are 3 hours from Seoul.