+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Work Permit Exemption

tkodali123

Nov 20, 2018
Hello,

I am in the process of applying to move to Canada from the US as an intra company transferee. I filled out the questionnaire, and it brings to me the document checklist page. One of the required documents is Proof of Work Permit Employment. It states:
You must provide proof of that you are exempt from obtaining a work permit.

If you were provided with a letter stating you are exempt from obtaining a work permit, please provide it.

If you were not provided with such a letter, please provide a written explanation as to why you are exempt, with supporting documents, such as an Employer Declaration form, if applicable.

I have already filled out the Employer Declaration form, but I am not sure what else to provide. I have not been able to find any info about this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

This is the questionnaire along with my answers:

What would you like to do in Canada?
Work
How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - more than 6 months
Select the code that matches the one on your passport.
IND (India)
What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
United States of America
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
No
What is your date of birth?
XXXX, 1993
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green Card)?

No
Do you have a written offer from an employer in Canada?

Yes
What is the status of your job offer?

Temporary - at least one year
Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?
  • Athletes and coaches
  • Aviation accident or incident investigators
  • Business visitors
  • Civil aviation inspectors
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizers
  • Crew members
  • Emergency service providers
  • Examiners and evaluators
  • Expert witnesses or investigators
  • Family members of foreign representatives
  • Foreign government officers
  • Foreign representatives
  • Health-care students
  • Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)
  • Judges, referees and similar officials
  • Military personnel
  • News reporters, film and media crews
  • Performing artists
  • Public speakers
Yes
Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a foreign worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution?
No
Are you of working age, and a dependent of a person who is (or will be):
No
Have you recently graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution for which your study program was full-time and a minimum of eight months?
No
What is your marital status?
Never Married/Single
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Ontario
Do you have a job in the country where you currently live?
Yes
Do you own a business in the country where you currently live?
No
Do you depend on someone for financial support?
No
Have you travelled to other countries in the previous 10 years?
Yes
Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada?

No
Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with, or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?

No
Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?

Yes
Do you want to submit an application for a family member?

No
Are you giving someone access to your application?

No
There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?

Yes, I will be paying my application fees.

Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?

Yes
Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you can use a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, China Union Pay) or a debit card (Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard or Interac).

Yes

tkodali123

Nov 20, 2018
Under what category do you believe you are exempt?
I am not sure I am exempt. In the questionnaire, there were some questions about whether it was an intra company transfer or not, and then it said I am LMIA exempt, and then brought me to the document checklist page. I didn't state I was work permit exempt in any of my answers, so I am not sure how it arrived at this conclusion.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?
  • Athletes and coaches
  • Aviation accident or incident investigators
  • Business visitors
  • Civil aviation inspectors
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizers
  • Crew members
  • Emergency service providers
  • Examiners and evaluators
  • Expert witnesses or investigators
  • Family members of foreign representatives
  • Foreign government officers
  • Foreign representatives
  • Health-care students
  • Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)
  • Judges, referees and similar officials
  • Military personnel
  • News reporters, film and media crews
  • Performing artists
  • Public speakers
Yes
This is why. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/need-work-permit-work.html

Pranav Nayak

Aug 17, 2018
Hi, So I work for a TV channel in Canada. I have a valid work permit and I was in Canada since 2019. I left the Canada for 10 days. And now I have to apply for TRV to go back as I didn't posses a work visa before departing from Canada. As I work at a TV station, I feel I have to answer yes to this question, no?

but the moment I do that. It asks me for a proof of work permit exemption and purpose of travel (to prove I will leave Canada and return to my country)

I already posses a work permit, how can I prove that I am exempted!

Or should I just answer this question ''Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?'' as no(?)