Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
This might have been asked before, but cannot find it anywhere.

I worked for a company that does not exist anymore. However, I am still in touch with the CEO who is now working for a different company, but is still willing to write me a letter. He even still might have access to the old company's letterhead. My questions is: should he write the letter on the old letterhead, stating his old position, or an empty sheet, and I submit an LOE with it?

Also, should his business card be from the old workplace, or the new one?

What do you think would be the best way to do it to create least confusion?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tocanadawego said:
This might have been asked before, but cannot find it anywhere.

I worked for a company that does not exist anymore. However, I am still in touch with the CEO who is now working for a different company, but is still willing to write me a letter. He even still might have access to the old company's letterhead. My questions is: should he write the letter on the old letterhead, stating his old position, or an empty sheet, and I submit an LOE with it?

Get it on a plain piece of paper addressed 'to whoever it may concern'. Using the old letterhead when that organization itself doesn't exist anymore doesn't sound right. Get is signed in original by the ex-CEO and get that document notarized. Upload along with an LOE which highlights the inability to get a standard reference letter because the organization has gone under and politely request the officer to consider this letter as an alternative which completes your application.

Also, should his business card be from the old workplace, or the new one?

Business cards aren't mandatory, you can include their contact details in the reference letter itself. If they have an old one, wonderful. If they have a new one, wouldn't make any difference.

What do you think would be the best way to do it to create least confusion?

Exactly how you are going about it.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Thanks for your reply!

Although I love all my life experiences so far, I now wish I hadn't been moving around so much. This particular work experience was in the US. I now live in Nepal (originally from Croatia - talk about the pain of collecting paperwork when you're not physically present). I have no idea whether you can even easily notarize something in the US, and whether the CEO will be willing to hike around to do this for me.

Do you think there would be harm in submitting it on the old letterhead (to avoid notarization), and then attaching new business card and an LOE stating the company is no longer in business?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tocanadawego said:
Thanks for your reply!

Although I love all my life experiences so far, I now wish I hadn't been moving around so much. This particular work experience was in the US. I now live in Nepal (originally from Croatia - talk about the pain of collecting paperwork when you're not physically present). I have no idea whether you can even easily notarize something in the US, and whether the CEO will be willing to hike around to do this for me.

They can sign it, scan and send it to you. Or even take a picture and send it to you which you can print out in color and get notarized.

Do you think there would be harm in submitting it on the old letterhead (to avoid notarization), and then attaching new business card and an LOE stating the company is no longer in business?

Because you are going to claim that the company doesn't exist, it will be improper (illegal?) to use that letterhead. The proper (legal but immoral) way of using that letterhead would be to create a backdated reference letter which is dated AFTER you left the organization and BEFORE the company went out of business assuming there was some gap between those 2 events. It is extremely unlikely that CIC will detect this 'forgery' but it is your call if you want to risk that.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Oh, that sounds wrong, but so tempting!

I actually think they went out of business within the past year, and I worked with them back in 2008. The naughty way might just work :)

Thanks, Asivad Anac!

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Yet more questions from me.

My past employers were asking me how extensive the list of duties needs to be. Whether it's a several general lines thing, or it needs to list every single thing I was doing.

What would be best?

lovesumi

Star Member
Sep 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Instead of business card of supervisor what if
1. Previous company
a) Supervisor no more in company , hence
i) His service letter from the old company
ii) Mention of his contact details in the affidavit
2. Current company
a) Supervisor working in the company, hence
i) Employment letter from the current company

Asivad Anac, your thoughts please !!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tocanadawego said:
Yet more questions from me.

My past employers were asking me how extensive the list of duties needs to be. Whether it's a several general lines thing, or it needs to list every single thing I was doing.

What would be best?
Bullet points would work best.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lovesumi said:
Instead of business card of supervisor what if
1. Previous company
a) Supervisor no more in company , hence
i) His service letter from the old company
2. Current company
a) Supervisor working in the company, hence
i) Employment letter from the current company

Asivad Anac, your thoughts please !!
That would be an overkill. Simply mention the supervisor's contact details in the reference letter along with their past designation if they are no longer working there.

For your current organization, just get the supervisor' details mentioned in the letter.

If CIC wants to cross-verify, they can certainly do so in either of those 2 cases. You don't need to prove to CIC that the supervisor work(ed) there.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017

martinsdaddy

Jul 24, 2015
Maldives
Hi Guys and thanks for the wonderful job. I have a question and will be grateful if any of you will be kind enough to answer. I've been working in Canada for a year now (52 weeks), but during that time I traveled to East Africa to represent my employer at a conference for nearly 40 days. During that period, I was paid in full and was performing duties for my Canadian employer. Unfortunately, my current contract has ended and cannot be renewed. However, my employer is willing to write a letter stating that my travels to east Africa was for official work duties and that travels and accommodations were fully covered by the company. I also have my official travel financial report form that has my employee number and my employer's detail. \i was intending to submit all of those documents once I receive an ITA. My current score is 493 under CEC and my NOC is 4011 (Postdoctoral fellow).
So my main question is, does experience in Canada mean physical presence in Canada or just employed in Canada? Thanks for your assistance.
Kind Regards
Martins

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
martinsdaddy said:
Hi Guys and thanks for the wonderful job. I have a question and will be grateful if any of you will be kind enough to answer. I've been working in Canada for a year now (52 weeks), but during that time I traveled to East Africa to represent my employer at a conference for nearly 40 days. During that period, I was paid in full and was performing duties for my Canadian employer. Unfortunately, my current contract has ended and cannot be renewed. However, my employer is willing to write a letter stating that my travels to east Africa was for official work duties and that travels and accommodations were fully covered by the company. I also have my official travel financial report form that has my employee number and my employer's detail. \i was intending to submit all of those documents once I receive an ITA. My current score is 493 under CEC and my NOC is 4011 (Postdoctoral fellow).
So my main question is, does experience in Canada mean physical presence in Canada or just employed in Canada? Thanks for your assistance.
Kind Regards
Martins
I imagine Canadian experience covers any reasonable work-related travel overseas as well. Use an LOE to explain this when you apply after getting an ITA and you should upload those supporting documents as well to further strengthen your case here.

All the best!