+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of sponsor's intent of returning to Canada

echao

Mar 6, 2013
Hello,

My common law spouse received this email yesterday night:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

In order to continue processing your application, we require the following information and/or documentation:

Proof of your sponsor’s intent to re-establish in Canada such as job offer in Canada, employment contract in Canada and other documents showing that your sponsor has started severing his ties in Japan and began moving his affairs back to Canada.

To ensure the timely processing of your application, the document(s) and information we have requested must be provided to us within forty-five (45) days of the date of this letter.

Unless we have specified otherwise, please send only original documents.

PLEASE RETURN A COPY OF THIS LETTER WITH THE REQUESTED DOCUMENTS TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE, TO THE ATTENTION OF THE FAMILY CLASS PROCESSING SECTION
I am the Canadian sponsor and we both live in Japan. I am already approved to be a sponsor. My question is what can I do to prove my intent on returning to Canada with her? We plan to go back together. Obviously I have no job in Canada right now but I do keep in touch with my connections from my old job. I hope to return to my old job as they seem to be always hiring.

I have maintained my Canadian bank account. Also, I will be renewing my Canadian Mastercard once the renewal card arrives. Most of my mail still goes to my parent's home in Canada. As for accommodations, my spouse and I will be staying with my parents until my brother's new house is complete. Afterwards, my spouse, my brother and I will live in his new home together. I can get letters from my family members to prove my plan.
Moreover, my brother came to Japan just last week for 2 weeks with the intention of taking back some of my belongings so I would have less things to bring home.

I know they probably want to know what time I intend to fly back. My work contract expires (though it is renewable) next April so hopefully we can get her PR before then. After receiving it, we will go to Canada. If the visa process goes beyond April, I will renew contract and then quit my job once the visa is obtained.

Somebody please help ???
I'm lost and confused on what I can do.

teaya_ram

Star Member
Sep 22, 2012
i would include as much evidence as you can gather. get the letters from the family stating that you will be staying with them, notarize them just to make it stronger if you can. and also if you intend on studying here try and get any information or show that you are searching into that as well. What ever your spouse is planning on doing or working as when they arrive try to look at postings for jobs in their field also. Example craigslist or classifieds and add copies of the postings. choose a medical insurance company to cover you for the first three months when you return and get a quote from them. Try to look into your local immigration welcome centre to show that you are doing research as well for your spouse. Excbest of luck

They just want to make sure your serious about moving back, so give a detail letter of your plans.

Reactions: bahar.april

echao

Mar 6, 2013
teaya_ram said:
i would include as much evidence as you can gather. get the letters from the family stating that you will be staying with them, notarize them just to make it stronger if you can. and also if you intend on studying here try and get any information or show that you are searching into that as well. What ever your spouse is planning on doing or working as when they arrive try to look at postings for jobs in their field also. Example craigslist or classifieds and add copies of the postings. choose a medical insurance company to cover you for the first three months when you return and get a quote from them. Try to look into your local immigration welcome centre to show that you are doing research as well for your spouse. Excbest of luck

They just want to make sure your serious about moving back, so give a detail letter of your plans.
I am the sponsor. My girlfriend, who is the non Canadian, is the one that got the email and asked me about this letter. She is planning on studying for the first few months or so to spruce up her English and then hopefully work part time somewhere.

teaya_ram

Star Member
Sep 22, 2012
I understand. In the letter is says " Proof of your sponsor's intent to re-establish in Canada" you are the sponsor. They want evidence that you are going to go back to Canada to live there because you are living in Japan at the moment.

echao

Mar 6, 2013
Thanks. I was a bit confused at first.

Regarding insurance, I still have my insurance card from Canada; that is my coverage right? Or when you said about medical insurance coverage, that was regarding my Japanese spouse?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
echao said:
Thanks. I was a bit confused at first.

Regarding insurance, I still have my insurance card from Canada; that is my coverage right? Or when you said about medical insurance coverage, that was regarding my Japanese spouse?
Most provincial healthcare plans have a 3 month waiting period for returning residents.

We were also living abroad when I sponsored my partner and I didn't have much to prove that I intended to return to Canada. I included letters from family and friends stating our intent to settle in Canada, a letter from my parents confirming that we could live with them rent-free for as long as we needed and copies of my Canadian bank account and credit card statements showing I had maintained my finances in Canada. I wrote a letter explaining that I had none of the suggested proof (job offer, university acceptance, lease etc.) because we would be staying in the UK if my partner didn't get the visa, so I needed to wait before making any formal commitments in Canada.

Also see if you can get a letter from your former employer in Canada confirming they would rehire you next year.

echao

Mar 6, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Most provincial healthcare plans have a 3 month waiting period for returning residents.

We were also living abroad when I sponsored my partner and I didn't have much to prove that I intended to return to Canada. I included letters from family and friends stating our intent to settle in Canada, a letter from my parents confirming that we could live with them rent-free for as long as we needed and copies of my Canadian bank account and credit card statements showing I had maintained my finances in Canada. I wrote a letter explaining that I had none of the suggested proof (job offer, university acceptance, lease etc.) because we would be staying in the UK if my partner didn't get the visa, so I needed to wait before making any formal commitments in Canada.

Also see if you can get a letter from your former employer in Canada confirming they would rehire you next year.
Yea, I figured the bolded part is the most I can do regarding that part of the proof.

@canuck_in_uk: I see you have landed in March of this year. I can assume that your letter and explanation was sufficient...right? :eek:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
echao said:
Yea, I figured the bolded part is the most I can do regarding that part of the proof.

@ canuck_in_uk: I see you have landed in March of this year. I can assume that your letter and explanation was sufficient...right? :eek:
Yes, my partner was approved. GCMS notes show that the VO was satisfied of my intent to return to Canada.

mr.peace

Apr 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Phils.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 24, 2013
AOR Received.
April 17, 2013
File Transfer...
April 23, 2013
Med's Done....
March 20, 2013
Passport Req..
Sep 27, 2013 F.Beronia Recv'd PP: Oct 15, 2013 V.O. returned PP: Nov 1, 2013 Resent PP....: Dec 27, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2014 received but dated March 20.
LANDED..........
April xx, 2014
This is the same reason why my wife and I are now separated... We decided that she has to go ahead of me as the Visa Officer wasn't satisfied that she will be going back to Canada once my permanent resident application is approved. We are given 45 days to send additional documents otherwise my application will be refused, so my wife has to get a Rental Agreement and some Employment Certificates or Job Offer as proof. This is crazy, as we are now both renting our own place, which means an added expense. :mad:

ExiledCanadian

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2013
AOR Received.
23-08-2013
File Transfer...
04-09-2013
Med's Done....
24-06-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
I'm a little confused by this. I am a Canadian living in the United States with my husband. I received my sponsorship approval back in August. Is it the case that, even though I have been approved as a sponsor, CIC may still ask for additional proof that I intend to re-establish myself in Canada? I guess I thought that determination would have been part of my sponsorship application, not my husband's immigration application.

Would it be worthwhile to pull additional documentation together and send it now, rather than waiting for it to be requested? I, too, was unable to provide much "proof" with our original application. Based on this thread and other comments I have seen on the Board, I fully expect to receive a similar letter.

Thanks!

echao

Mar 6, 2013
mr.peace said:
This is the same reason why my wife and I are now separated... We decided that she has to go ahead of me as the Visa Officer wasn't satisfied that she will be going back to Canada once my permanent resident application is approved. We are given 45 days to send additional documents otherwise my application will be refused, so my wife has to get a Rental Agreement and some Employment Certificates or Job Offer as proof. This is crazy, as we are now both renting our own place, which means an added expense. :mad:
What do you mean they weren't satisfied?

Did you send in your proof of intent...only to be rebuffed and asked for more proof? I'm assuming your wife is the Canadian (and the sponsor) and did she have any Canadian ties, such as family or assets (bank accounts, houses, etc)??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ExiledCanadian said:
I'm a little confused by this. I am a Canadian living in the United States with my husband. I received my sponsorship approval back in August. Is it the case that, even though I have been approved as a sponsor, CIC may still ask for additional proof that I intend to re-establish myself in Canada? I guess I thought that determination would have been part of my sponsorship application, not my husband's immigration application.

Would it be worthwhile to pull additional documentation together and send it now, rather than waiting for it to be requested? I, too, was unable to provide much "proof" with our original application. Based on this thread and other comments I have seen on the Board, I fully expect to receive a similar letter.

Thanks!
Don't send anything unless they request it. I only had letters and Canadian bank statements, they didn't ask for anything else from me.

JRPW

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
2013 (re-med)
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
echao,

I am also a Canadian married to a Japanese living in Fukuoka. My wife and I applied for her PR in October 2012. In May 2013, we got a letter from Manilla wanting more proof that I intend to move back to Canada after my Wife receives her PR. I had my parents, two cousins, a neighbor of my parents in Canada who I babysat for and a co-worker/friend write letters stating that we plan to move back ASAP. I also included my CIBC bank statement and e-mails between a travel agent asking for prices on flights back to Canada. We have not heard from Manilla again. However, my Wife and I have decided to move back to Canada next month.

mr.peace

Apr 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Phils.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 24, 2013
AOR Received.
April 17, 2013
File Transfer...
April 23, 2013
Med's Done....
March 20, 2013
Passport Req..
Sep 27, 2013 F.Beronia Recv'd PP: Oct 15, 2013 V.O. returned PP: Nov 1, 2013 Resent PP....: Dec 27, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April xx, 2014
echao said:
What do you mean they weren't satisfied?

Did you send in your proof of intent...only to be rebuffed and asked for more proof? I'm assuming your wife is the Canadian (and the sponsor) and did she have any Canadian ties, such as family or assets (bank accounts, houses, etc)??
The visa officer was not convinced. My wife did not have anything left in Canada as we we were living together for about 7 years in another country (before she left 2 weeks ago). In the application, we just furnished them an invitation from her sister that we will be staying in her place when we arrive. It could be our fault as well as we took it lightly as my wife didn't even bother to apply for a job there, but who would do when you really don't know when you're coming back as it is dependent on the approval of the permanent resident visa? How can you have a specific plan when you don't know the exact date?

mr.peace

Apr 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Phils.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 24, 2013
AOR Received.
April 17, 2013
File Transfer...
April 23, 2013
Med's Done....
March 20, 2013
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
April xx, 2014
JRPW said:
echao,

I am also a Canadian married to a Japanese living in Fukuoka. My wife and I applied for her PR in October 2012. In May 2013, we got a letter from Manilla wanting more proof that I intend to move back to Canada after my Wife receives her PR. I had my parents, two cousins, a neighbor of my parents in Canada who I babysat for and a co-worker/friend write letters stating that we plan to move back ASAP. I also included my CIBC bank statement and e-mails between a travel agent asking for prices on flights back to Canada. We have not heard from Manilla again. However, my Wife and I have decided to move back to Canada next month.
That's a good move. Inform them of your new address once you're in Canada.