+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of return to Canada

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My wife is an Oct 2020 applicant, she finished the online test in July 2021 (12 months ago) as an outside Canada applicant, is it normal that after this long her file didn't progress?! No DM, no requests, no interview, no oath. Even though the return to Canada proof was sent to them as they requested!

I heard that they are punishing applicants doing the test from outside Canada.

I am a Feb 2020 applicant and finished the online test on 1st of july (outside Canada), it happened that we were both on vacation when the test invite came, we are living in Canada and didn't leave after applying for citizenship.

What is to be expected next? How much time do I need to wait? my wife is still waiting after 12 months from the test

What do you think?
Your timeline does not appear to be terribly unusual (unfortunately, the norm ranges from slow to very slow, to damn slow, if not even slower), although it appears many are finally seeing real progress. Quite a lot, however, are still among the long suffering. So you see the disparity between how it has gone for you versus others.

Mostly you (in particular, along with those who applied just before you in the latter part of 2019) are likely among the group of applicants who have been detrimentally affected most by the Covid-related disruption of processing.

Of course there is always a possibility there is some underlying substantive cause for IRCC to have concerns, like an application made with little margin over the minimum presence requirement, or an application or presence calculation containing discrepancies with other sources of information, among a range of potential issues which can affect processing timelines. But any such cause for delays are generally known to the applicant and so should be no surprise.

Beyond that . . . Please forgive me for reading your query literally and being picky, but one might ask how is it that you both took the test online "outside Canada," and yet you say you "didn't leave after applying for citizenship." Obviously you did leave Canada after applying. (I did as well, many times, and there was no problem; but that was all well before Covid.)

For a couple who did not "leave after applying for citizenship," perhaps a total stranger bureaucrat might scratch their head if they note each took the test while outside Canada, not at the same time but in different years.

I get it. Not really asking. It was temporary. And undoubtedly a mere coincidence you were each abroad for a mere vacation when scheduled for the test. Bad luck, one might think, if luck had anything to do with it.

But perhaps somewhere in that vicinity lies the rub. While there is nothing wrong about being outside Canada after applying, and there is NO indication that IRCC is "punishing applicants doing the test from outside Canada," even those who are or appear to be living abroad, of course that is a factor among the constellation of factors that IRCC will consider in evaluating the information provided by an applicant (how so and to what extent is a subject that tends to trigger controversy, many taking sides depending on the extent to which their view is oriented more to how things should work than how they do work).

In any event, how this can influence things varies very, very widely, from NO perceptible effect (which is probably the more common) to potentially raising questions that can trigger non-routine processing. Depends a lot, a real lot, on the particular circumstances in the individual case. And here too, things like whether the applicant applied with a decent margin over the minimum presence requirement, or whether IRCC has identified any discrepancies or omissions in the information the applicant provided, can have a significant influence. You know your case, your circumstances, and should be able to fairly easily discern whether IRCC might have questions. It's the latter that has the most influence, that is whether there are other factors potentially inviting questions.

Moreover, if you are now IN Canada, settled and staying, the fact that the test was taken while outside Canada should have near zero impact.

Reactions: i6evx5e8 and Ana.me

CYM

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
Hi folks, a quick question. When I returned to Canada, my passport was not stamped anything on it. So in reply to the IRCC email regarding proofs, I only provided my Air Can booking confirmation and check-in confirmation and also a boarding pass in pdf format. Is that suffice? I hear nothing after 4 weeks of the email.....

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Amazing how some have the breath to write such a long reply. God bless you.

Your timeline does not appear to be terribly unusual (unfortunately, the norm ranges from slow to very slow, to damn slow, if not even slower), although it appears many are finally seeing real progress. Quite a lot, however, are still among the long suffering. So you see the disparity between how it has gone for you versus others.

Mostly you (in particular, along with those who applied just before you in the latter part of 2019) are likely among the group of applicants who have been detrimentally affected most by the Covid-related disruption of processing.

Of course there is always a possibility there is some underlying substantive cause for IRCC to have concerns, like an application made with little margin over the minimum presence requirement, or an application or presence calculation containing discrepancies with other sources of information, among a range of potential issues which can affect processing timelines. But any such cause for delays are generally known to the applicant and so should be no surprise.

Beyond that . . . Please forgive me for reading your query literally and being picky, but one might ask how is it that you both took the test online "outside Canada," and yet you say you "didn't leave after applying for citizenship." Obviously you did leave Canada after applying. (I did as well, many times, and there was no problem; but that was all well before Covid.)

For a couple who did not "leave after applying for citizenship," perhaps a total stranger bureaucrat might scratch their head if they note each took the test while outside Canada, not at the same time but in different years.

I get it. Not really asking. It was temporary. And undoubtedly a mere coincidence you were each abroad for a mere vacation when scheduled for the test. Bad luck, one might think, if luck had anything to do with it.

But perhaps somewhere in that vicinity lies the rub. While there is nothing wrong about being outside Canada after applying, and there is NO indication that IRCC is "punishing applicants doing the test from outside Canada," even those who are or appear to be living abroad, of course that is a factor among the constellation of factors that IRCC will consider in evaluating the information provided by an applicant (how so and to what extent is a subject that tends to trigger controversy, many taking sides depending on the extent to which their view is oriented more to how things should work than how they do work).

In any event, how this can influence things varies very, very widely, from NO perceptible effect (which is probably the more common) to potentially raising questions that can trigger non-routine processing. Depends a lot, a real lot, on the particular circumstances in the individual case. And here too, things like whether the applicant applied with a decent margin over the minimum presence requirement, or whether IRCC has identified any discrepancies or omissions in the information the applicant provided, can have a significant influence. You know your case, your circumstances, and should be able to fairly easily discern whether IRCC might have questions. It's the latter that has the most influence, that is whether there are other factors potentially inviting questions.

Moreover, if you are now IN Canada, settled and staying, the fact that the test was taken while outside Canada should have near zero impact.

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Hi folks, a quick question. When I returned to Canada, my passport was not stamped anything on it. So in reply to the IRCC email regarding proofs, I only provided my Air Can booking confirmation and check-in confirmation and also a boarding pass in pdf format. Is that suffice? I hear nothing after 4 weeks of the email.....
I replied 2 weeks ago. No updates since then.

Reactions: CYM

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
That should readily suffice as a response to a request for evidence or proof of returning to Canada.

Similar to @yma981, if you are now in Canada, a previous absence from Canada should have no impact, even if you took the test while outside Canada.

Also, like I also replied to @yma981, overall many applicants are still encountering lengthy delays, so there is little or no reason to suspect being outside Canada is causing a problem.

Reactions: CYM

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Any updates for you guys?

prasanna@

Aug 15, 2016
Hello folks, need a info. According to my gcms notes, my background verification or criminality check expires by 09/14/2022. Do you guys know if the background will go back to inprogress again if we do not get Oath before that? do they perfom background check again?
My current background status is Completed.

CYM

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
Hello folks, need a info. According to my gcms notes, my background verification or criminality check expires by 09/14/2022. Do you guys know if the background will go back to inprogress again if we do not get Oath before that? do they perfom background check again?
My current background status is Completed.
For me, my criminality check should be expired by May 19, 2022 but my background check still showing Completed every time I checked.

CYM

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
I checked my status and excited to see I'm scheduled to have an interview on Aug 30!! haven't got the email though...

prasanna@

Aug 15, 2016
I checked my status and excited to see I'm scheduled to have an interview on Aug 30!! haven't got the email though...
Hello,
I also got an email today morning to appear in person for interview at the Scarborough office. Does anyone know what will happen after the interview? Should I wait again for the oath date?

I am in us. I don’t have stamped visa to go back to us after the interview.

Any thoughts?

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hello,
I also got an email today morning to appear in person for interview at the Scarborough office. Does anyone know what will happen after the interview? Should I wait again for the oath date?

I am in us. I don’t have stamped visa to go back to us after the interview.

Any thoughts?
You'll likely have to wait again. These days you get the DM and the oath invitation (not the oath itself) almost at the same time but typically there is sometime from interview to DM.

It's also possible you are chosen for in person oath and that's why they're calling you for in-person interview. In that case, I believe the oath follows soon after. I'm not sure if that's the case. You can call IRCC and ask if you are scheduled for a oath as well. You can also email your office.

Here's something similar from @boobah:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ottawa-applications.702017/post-10151905
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ottawa-applications.702017/post-10157473

Did you notify IRCC at the time of test you're taking the test from outside Canada (assuming you were outside)?

With any past expired US visa stamp and a valid current I 797 from the USCIS, you will be eligible to use Automatic visa revalidation, you don't need to get a new stamp. You can read about that on the H1 forum.

An alternative is to ask IRCC for an online interview explaining your situation.

If your oath is not scheduled, during the interview you can mention that you will be available to attend the oath in person within Canada with a two week (or whatever your comfort is) notice. This will make sure your oath will not be delayed.

Reactions: prasanna@

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Anyone has any updates here folks?

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Hello fellows

After my citizenship application I had to leave Canada and due to pandemic got stuck outside till present. I had to write citizenship test outside Canada. Today I received the following letter via email:

============
This is in regards to your application for Canadian Citizenship. You are receiving this notice
because Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) needs more detailed information
from you.
It is noted that you wrote the Citizenship Test from outside Canada. Please reply to this email
with the following information:
- The date you left Canada prior to Citizenship Test invitation
- The date you returned (or intended to return) to Canada
- If you are back in Canada, you are required to provide proof of your return, such as, travel
documents. This may include: travel itinerary, e-booking confirmation, flight confirmation,
boarding pass, Canadian entry stamp.
- A copy of your PR Card.
When responding back to this email please ensure that you include in the subject line-
- OOC – Application/File No.

Please provide this information within 30 days of this email to facilitate the processing of your
application

=============

Anyone received any letters like this? Any advice? I don't plan to return to Canada till November probably.
Hello, did you email them to inform that you will be taking the test from outside Canada? I am in a similar situation

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
I got the same message last year. Just tell them your plan (no gaming).
Next in your interview AND before oath arrangement they will need your travel plan (or proof of returning to Canada) again. It is better to email them proactively when you are back to Canada, so they don't need to confirm with you again and again.
Hello, did you email them to inform that you will be taking the test from outside Canada? I am in a similar situation