+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of return to Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately no. After application my father in law passed away and mother in law had health issues. Then pandemic started. I found a job back home and now ready to go back. PR is expiring on May.
PRs don‘t expire PR cards do. How much time have you spent in Canada in the last 5 years? When did you get PR and how much time have you spent in Canada since then? Currently you don’t qualify for citizenship because you haven’t met your RO as a PR. That may be why there has been no progress. You will have to show that your in-laws had no family nearby and that is the reason you had to remain and that your MIL had such serious medical issues, with proof, that you were required to remain in your home country. You’ll need proof as to why you can now return to Canada. Either MIL’s health has recently improved, some other family has relocated so you can leave, etc.

isari

Mar 27, 2018
PRs don‘t expire PR cards do. How much time have you spent in Canada in the last 5 years? When did you get PR and how much time have you spent in Canada since then? Currently you don’t qualify for citizenship because you haven’t met your RO as a PR. That may be why there has been no progress. You will have to show that your in-laws had no family nearby and that is the reason you had to remain and that your MIL had such serious medical issues, with proof, that you were required to remain in your home country. You’ll need proof as to why you can now return to Canada. Either MIL’s health has recently improved, some other family has relocated so you can leave, etc.
Thanks a lot. Confused a bit though. Why did they do CZ test then. And nobody asked us why we are out. They kept asking passport copies (till the day of CZ application not beyond). Isn't it fair that we met the requirements, applied according to the law and they did not process our papers timely? If we do not send an excuse why we are out (before they ask) do you think that they will reject our application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot. Confused a bit though. Why did they do CZ test then. And nobody asked us why we are out. They kept asking passport copies (till the day of CZ application not beyond). Isn't it fair that we met the requirements, applied according to the law and they did not process our papers timely? If we do not send an excuse why we are out (before they ask) do you think that they will reject our application?
Sometimes they only verify at the very end that you meet at the requirements to qualify for citizenship. Not sure if they are being more lenient but at the end of the day it is your responsibility to continue to meet the requirements to qualify for citizenship. If you chose to leave soon after applying for citizenship you do so knowing that this comes with risks. Have you been asked about the time spent in Canada in the past 5 years recently? Really impossoble for me to say what is happening with your application. Would suggest ordering GCMS notes.

Reactions: i6evx5e8

isari

Mar 27, 2018
Sometimes they only verify at the very end that you meet at the requirements to qualify for citizenship. Not sure if they are being more lenient but at the end of the day it is your responsibility to continue to meet the requirements to qualify for citizenship. If you chose to leave soon after applying for citizenship you do so knowing that this comes with risks. Have you been asked about the time spent in Canada in the past 5 years recently? Really impossoble for me to say what is happening with your application. Would suggest ordering GCMS notes.
First time I am having this kind of detailed information and appreciate for replying me back. No body asked us abut the time that we spent in Canada after CZ application. We ordered GCMS notes before as it was so delayed and noticed that because of heavy work load our file transferred to Scarborough office. Then we contacted them regularly and all we got is we are processing. Just sick of this issue. I think we are subjected to discrimination. Imagine that 4 years they are processing a file.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First time I am having this kind of detailed information and appreciate for replying me back. No body asked us abut the time that we spent in Canada after CZ application. We ordered GCMS notes before as it was so delayed and noticed that because of heavy work load our file transferred to Scarborough office. Then we contacted them regularly and all we got is we are processing. Just sick of this issue. I think we are subjected to discrimination. Imagine that 4 years they are processing a file.
It isn’t about how much time you have spent out of Canada since your CZ application it is whether you continued to meet RO as a PR. There were always risks when it came to leaving after applying for citizenship. For example intent to reside in Canada could have returned when your application was being processed. Would suggest applying for GCMSnotes to see if not meeting your RO has become an issue for your citizenship application. Do you have a US visa?

isari

Mar 27, 2018
It isn’t about how much time you have spent out of Canada since your CZ application it is whether you continued to meet RO as a PR. There were always risks when it came to leaving after applying for citizenship. For example intent to reside in Canada could have returned when your application was being processed. Would suggest applying for GCMSnotes to see if not meeting your RO has become an issue for your citizenship application. Do you have a US visa?
In that case they will reject our application as we are not meeting RO. We left for health issues then had a global pandemic and now we lost RO. We have US visa but what has its use if we got a rejection?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In that case they will reject our application as we are not meeting RO. We left for health issues then had a global pandemic and now we lost RO. We have US visa but what has its use if we got a rejection?
The US visa allows you a way to return to Canada by land versus getting a PRTD. Yes technically you can have your citizenship application rejected because you left Canada and don’t meet your RO as a PR which is a requirement to obtain citizenship. Would suggest applying for GCMS notes to see whether this is an issue or whether Canada is being more lenient due to Covid. If they are going to deny you you’ll get a procedural fairness letter. If you do get one you need a lawyer. Would even suggest consulting with an immigration lawyer now about your situation.

isari

Mar 27, 2018
The US visa allows you a way to return to Canada by land versus getting a PRTD. Yes technically you can have your citizenship application rejected because you left Canada and don’t meet your RO as a PR which is a requirement to obtain citizenship. Would suggest applying for GCMS notes to see whether this is an issue or whether Canada is being more lenient due to Covid. If they are going to deny you you’ll get a procedural fairness letter. If you do get one you need a lawyer. Would even suggest consulting with an immigration lawyer now about your situation.
Don't know how to thank you for replying all my questions. Much appreciated

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Any updates guys?

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Hello

Has anyone received any update after replying to Scarborough email?

yma981

Dec 21, 2010
Visa Office......
Lebanon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
24-02-2012
Med's Done....
05-03-2012
Passport Req..
25-07-2013
My wife is an Oct 2020 applicant, she finished the online test in July 2021 (12 months ago) as an outside Canada applicant, is it normal that after this long her file didn't progress?! No DM, no requests, no interview, no oath. Even though the return to Canada proof was sent to them as they requested!

I heard that they are punishing applicants doing the test from outside Canada.

I am a Feb 2020 applicant and finished the online test on 1st of july (outside Canada), it happened that we were both on vacation when the test invite came, we are living in Canada and didn't leave after applying for citizenship.

What is to be expected next? How much time do I need to wait? my wife is still waiting after 12 months from the test

What do you think?

Reactions: Dreamlad

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
My wife is an Oct 2020 applicant, she finished the online test in July 2021 (12 months ago) as an outside Canada applicant, is it normal that after this long her file didn't progress?! No DM, no requests, no interview, no oath. Even though the return to Canada proof was sent to them as they requested!

I heard that they are punishing applicants doing the test from outside Canada.

I am a Feb 2020 applicant and finished the online test on 1st of july (outside Canada), it happened that we were both on vacation when the test invite came, we are living in Canada and didn't leave after applying for citizenship.

What is to be expected next? How much time do I need to wait? my wife is still waiting after 12 months from the test

What do you think?
How come your test was so delayed?

yma981

Dec 21, 2010
Visa Office......
Lebanon
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
24-02-2012
Med's Done....
05-03-2012
Passport Req..
25-07-2013
How come your test was so delayed?

I wish i knew, i only got the test invitation after 27 months of applying for citizenship. This is so ridiculous when I see applicants who applied way way after me becoming Canadians

Reactions: sahibo and Dreamlad