+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relative in Canada

Sen_

Jun 20, 2021
Hello everyone,

My husband and I arrived in Canada on May 31st this year. This week we received our PR cards and moved in to our place. My sister is also applying for a PR under FSW program so I would like to help her claim extra points for a sibling in Canada.

I have checked IRCC website. My understanding was that I would have to provide the following documents:

1. A scanned copy of my PR card,
2. A scanned copy of the residential lease agreement,
3. A scanned copy of my birth certificate.

She will also have to provide the scanned copy of her own birth certificate.

I am trying to understand whether this is enough or anything else should be provided. All of the documents are very recent obviously. I don't have utility bills because our utilities are included in the rent.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

My husband and I arrived in Canada on May 31st this year. This week we received our PR cards and moved in to our place. My sister is also applying for a PR under FSW program so I would like to help her claim extra points for a sibling in Canada.

I have checked IRCC website. My understanding was that I would have to provide the following documents:

1. A scanned copy of my PR card,
2. A scanned copy of the residential lease agreement,
3. A scanned copy of my birth certificate.

She will also have to provide the scanned copy of her own birth certificate.

I am trying to understand whether this is enough or anything else should be provided. All of the documents are very recent obviously. I don't have utility bills because our utilities are included in the rent.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Should be. What is required is on the IRCC site under Express Entry Mandatory Documents.

Sen_

Jun 20, 2021
Should be. What is required is on the IRCC site under Express Entry Mandatory Documents.
Here is the list per website:

Document requirements
1. This documentation is required if the applicant indicates that they, or their accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have a family member in Canada who is a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen.
2. A copy of both sides of the family member's Canadian citizenship document, Canadian birth certificate and/or permanent resident card must be provided.
3. Evidence that the family member currently resides in Canada must be provided (a residential lease, mortgage documents, utility bills, etc.).
The documents must show their address in Canada and should be recent (dated within six months prior to submission).
4. Proof of the relationship of the applicant or the accompanying spouse or common-law partner to the family member must also be provided (e.g., a birth certificate, an official document naming the applicant as a relative, a copy of the inside back cover of the relative’s passport showing the relative’s parents’ marriage certificate, legal adoption documents and any other documents that prove or describe the relationship).

I think the documents i listed in my post cover this. But I've seen other posts where people mentioned a lot of other documents (bank statements, cell phone bills etc. ) so I wanted to understand whether those were mandatory or they provided it as an additional proof.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Here is the list per website:

Document requirements
1. This documentation is required if the applicant indicates that they, or their accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have a family member in Canada who is a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen.
2. A copy of both sides of the family member's Canadian citizenship document, Canadian birth certificate and/or permanent resident card must be provided.
3. Evidence that the family member currently resides in Canada must be provided (a residential lease, mortgage documents, utility bills, etc.).
The documents must show their address in Canada and should be recent (dated within six months prior to submission).
4. Proof of the relationship of the applicant or the accompanying spouse or common-law partner to the family member must also be provided (e.g., a birth certificate, an official document naming the applicant as a relative, a copy of the inside back cover of the relative’s passport showing the relative’s parents’ marriage certificate, legal adoption documents and any other documents that prove or describe the relationship).

I think the documents i listed in my post cover this. But I've seen other posts where people mentioned a lot of other documents (bank statements, cell phone bills etc. ) so I wanted to understand whether those were mandatory or they provided it as an additional proof.
You just need to show evidence & lease is evidence.

Reactions: Sen_

Sen_

Jun 20, 2021
You have to prove your relationship. See #4.
Yes, I understand, but I mean will our birth certificates, which clearly have same people mentioned as parents, be enough or should we also provide any of our parents' documents?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I understand, but I mean will our birth certificates, which clearly have same people mentioned as parents, be enough or should we also provide any of our parents' documents?
That would be enough because it names your parents.

Reactions: Sen_