+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationship

Sep 21, 2018
First the question:
In the checklist under Proof of Relationship, under section "E", what kind of documents could be used for "Important documents for you and your spouse showing that you are recognized as each others spouse"? We have never lived together as we have never lived in each others birth country. As well, we are newly married so is there important documents that either my husband or I could do or set up to be used in this category?

Similar in fashion, due to being newly married, the second bullet asking for "Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses". When we have travelled back and forth to see one another, my husband has always wanted to pay for the hotel for us to stay at. Could this be something in support? Otherwise what may be evidence or what may we be able to do for this? I'm mainly unsure what ways we could do for these things since we live in different countries. Could I have him on my banking accounts? Would love any advice :)

Little back ground. I met my now husband through online gaming. We fell for each other and happily just got married. Both decided that we wish to have our lives here in Canada together. I'm a born and raised Canadian, where he was born and raised in USA. We are first timers when it comes to immigration. Its a huge learning curve but we are so both ready to take it head on. My husband is thrilled that I'm a little more versed in legal speak but even I am falling short on understanding everything. Read all that I could on the government website but found myself with lots of questions. Stumbled across this forum when thinking about getting an immigration lawyer and been so happy to have the resource of some many people. Still just dipping my toe into what I think this forum has to offer but Im so thankful! We are excited but nervous about the process but we are more then excited to keep going.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Since you are married, make sure to declare him as a spouse wherever you can. Are you applying inland? You can do more if you are, but regardless, add him to your insurance policies, make him a beneficiary of whatever you have, add him to a family phone plan, get him healthcare based on being your spouse (if inland and in certain provinces), give him a supplementary credit card to your accounts or open a joint one (some have been able to open accounts as visitors, I couldn't so we went the supplementary card way instead). Think outside the box. Wherever there's an option to add him/declare him as a spouse, do it. Have him do whatever he can on his side as well, if possible.

If you're applying inland, apply the same logic for proof of address.

I moved to Canada from Europe, got married, sent the app four months later. In those four months, we collected so much stuff that showed me as a spouse and a common address, that we ended up not sending everything since it was too much. So there's definitely a lot of things that can be done, but it depends on your province and whether you're inland or outland.

Yes, receipts from joint trips or plane tickets paid by one of you counts. We also included stuff like my wife paying for our honeymoon, heck we even included the monthly credit card statement that showed she's been buying all our groceries and everything since I moved.

Once again, think outside the box. Visitors can't do everything, but there's a lot more than they can do than it seems at first glance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
First the question:
In the checklist under Proof of Relationship, under section "E", what kind of documents could be used for "Important documents for you and your spouse showing that you are recognized as each others spouse"? We have never lived together as we have never lived in each others birth country. As well, we are newly married so is there important documents that either my husband or I could do or set up to be used in this category?

Similar in fashion, due to being newly married, the second bullet asking for "Documentary evidence of financial support between you and your sponsor, and/or shared expenses". When we have travelled back and forth to see one another, my husband has always wanted to pay for the hotel for us to stay at. Could this be something in support? Otherwise what may be evidence or what may we be able to do for this? I'm mainly unsure what ways we could do for these things since we live in different countries. Could I have him on my banking accounts? Would love any advice :)
Naming each other as insurance beneficiaries is a simple one.

You can show the hotel bills but they are looking more for things like money transfers, joint bills etc. Probably easier to skip that one and go to bullet 3, showing your relationship is recognized.