+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship - Please Help!

uklad1980

Mar 11, 2019
Right I have been reading thorough all the posts and have been unable to find an answer so I was hoping one of the gurus here would be able to help!

I applied for express entry and received an ITA. On my initial application I ticked the box that I do NOT have a family member in Canada as I was advised that only a sibling would get me points and therefore adding my aunty (mums sister) would be of no use and therefore immigration were not expecting me to add this (but I am not sure if this was correct).

However now that I have received an ITA it goes into depth about having family members in Canada. I am not actively trying to lie to the officials (and have nothing to lose and am happy to declare my aunt) but I am not really sure how I will be able to prove my relationship to her.

I can easily get her passport and utility bills etc but I have asked her re birth certificate but as she herself was born abroad she says that getting this will be impossible! I am not really sure how else we can prove our relationship.

Reality is I don't want to hide anything from immigration (all these scare stories about being barred for 5 years) but I also don't want to further complicate matters with something that I cannot prove (and wont actually get points for).

Can someone please advise me what to do - how have individuals been proving relationships to aunts and uncles etc and have people been declaring these family members if they are not able to prove the relationships!

If I am advised by you lot to declare my aunty (and give me a good way to prove it!) then do I just change it on the ITA and declare it or will I have to start the EE form again and retry for pool (as on my initial application I put no family members)

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Right I have been reading thorough all the posts and have been unable to find an answer so I was hoping one of the gurus here would be able to help!

I applied for express entry and received an ITA. On my initial application I ticked the box that I do NOT have a family member in Canada as I was advised that only a sibling would get me points and therefore adding my aunty (mums sister) would be of no use and therefore immigration were not expecting me to add this (but I am not sure if this was correct).

However now that I have received an ITA it goes into depth about having family members in Canada. I am not actively trying to lie to the officials (and have nothing to lose and am happy to declare my aunt) but I am not really sure how I will be able to prove my relationship to her.

I can easily get her passport and utility bills etc but I have asked her re birth certificate but as she herself was born abroad she says that getting this will be impossible! I am not really sure how else we can prove our relationship.

Reality is I don't want to hide anything from immigration (all these scare stories about being barred for 5 years) but I also don't want to further complicate matters with something that I cannot prove (and wont actually get points for).

Can someone please advise me what to do - how have individuals been proving relationships to aunts and uncles etc and have people been declaring these family members if they are not able to prove the relationships!

If I am advised by you lot to declare my aunty (and give me a good way to prove it!) then do I just change it on the ITA and declare it or will I have to start the EE form again and retry for pool (as on my initial application I put no family members)

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!
You don't need to prove your relationship to her, as she doesn't give you any points. Just list her.

Reactions: uklad1980

uklad1980

Mar 11, 2019
You don't need to prove your relationship to her, as she doesn't give you any points. Just list her.
Thanks for the quick reply Canuk

Any ideas what I should do then as I ticked "no" for family members in Canada in my Express Entry. Now that I have ITA I cannot go back and edit that. Do I just tick yes on the ITA or should I leave the pool and re-apply (which would be a real pain!) - Ticking yes in EE would have got me extra points (but obvs dont need them as I already have ITA)

Sorry for the lengthy questions!

uklad1980

Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply Canuk

Any ideas what I should do then as I ticked "no" for family members in Canada in my Express Entry. Now that I have ITA I cannot go back and edit that. Do I just tick yes on the ITA or should I leave the pool and re-apply (which would be a real pain!) - Ticking yes in EE would have got me extra points (but obvs dont need them as I already have ITA)

Sorry for the lengthy questions!

Anyone have any ideas on the above - I need to make a quick decision! do I just say yes on the ITA now (when I marked no on EE) or pull out of pool and re apply!

Thanks

horizonj

Jun 9, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-06-2020
Anyone have any ideas on the above - I need to make a quick decision! do I just say yes on the ITA now (when I marked no on EE) or pull out of pool and re apply!

Thanks
Hi there, hope you still get to read this. what did you then? Then you proceed with No? Did you get your PR?