+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship for Common law_ regarding bank statement

gingerlily91

Jan 29, 2019
Hi,

I have questions regarding proof of relationship.

We are considering these two options other than rental one(which cover more than 1 year)

- Proof of joint utility accounts
We have a joint account which we don't use much.
We basically opened it more than a year ago and put some money equivalent to 300 CAD for it is ridiculously strict to use a joint account(only withdrawal and saving are possible with no interest rate.. not sure why this even exist)

I know this is not as good as bank statements to show all details... but still hope this will be sufficient as it technically meets what's required

- Other documents issued to you or your suponsor showing the same address.

We have bank statements showing the same address but bank statement itself doesn't show that it covers 1 year period(it simply doesnt show the date it was opened).

Do we need to get a statement that goes all the way back to 1 year ago to show when the account was opened?

Also since the requirement reads "you or your sponsor", can we submit only one person's statement?

We are pretty much prepared except that we have some doubts like this.

Any comment is highly appreciated by us and thank you so much in advance.

Linda_s74

Aug 1, 2018
You need to go to the bank and ask them to print off proof of when your joint account was opened and that both of your names are associated with the account.
Also include the bank statements for principal applicant as well as sponsor starting from a year ago and every couple of months after.

gingerlily91

Jan 29, 2019
You need to go to the bank and ask them to print off proof of when your joint account was opened and that both of your names are associated with the account.
Also include the bank statements for principal applicant as well as sponsor starting from a year ago and every couple of months after.

Hello Linda.
Thank you for your comment.

About joint account, we have a countract where both names are on it with our address and it shows when it was opened(which is motmre than a yr ago).

Should we also provide that this one is still open not closed? the only thing is we are afraid to show the little balance we have on it.. since it will show the joint account hasnt been so active.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You need more proof than one barely used bank account. You need at least twelve months of evidence that you lived together at the same address. Doesn't have to have both names on it provided that both of you submit various things that have the same address. Cell phone bills, internet bills, other mail. Etc.

This is a big part of the common law application. If you don't have substantial proof of one year of cohabitation, you can expect an additional document request, and if you have no more proof to share, a procedural fairness letter, and a refusal.

gingerlily91

Jan 29, 2019
You need more proof than one barely used bank account. You need at least twelve months of evidence that you lived together at the same address. Doesn't have to have both names on it provided that both of you submit various things that have the same address. Cell phone bills, internet bills, other mail. Etc.

This is a big part of the common law application. If you don't have substantial proof of one year of cohabitation, you can expect an additional document request, and if you have no more proof to share, a procedural fairness letter, and a refusal.

Hi !

As I mentioned, we will submit a rental agreement that we made back in 2017.

This is quite solid so I listed two more options that I wish one of them will do okay.

So the joint account has to be active as well? or Shall we add LOE on this?

Each of us also has an account with same address but I believe that only mine is more than 1yr.
Can I go with a bank account and my sponsor with an internet bill with address he has paid over 1 year ?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Good evidence is showing transfers from each others accounts. We are using that one as well as getting the evidence of the utilities. I am on them as an accepted user, so will need to get a letter from them showing my name

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi !

As I mentioned, we will submit a rental agreement that we made back in 2017.

This is quite solid so I listed two more options that I wish one of them will do okay.

So the joint account has to be active as well? or Shall we add LOE on this?

Each of us also has an account with same address but I believe that only mine is more than 1yr.
Can I go with a bank account and my sponsor with an internet bill with address he has paid over 1 year ?
Well, you said that you are considering these options "other than" then rental agreement, which can imply you are not using the rental agreement. If you meant "in addition to" that's a little different.

Take a search through this forum for "proof of cohabitation" and see what others used. They used a bit more than a lease, a bank statement, and an internet bill.