+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship- Adding Spouse after AoR

Selma99

Sep 28, 2017
I am getting married in July. So i was trying to collect pictures from the past as evidence but I have realized that I don't have many pictures of us together. Max 10. We are not on social media, as both of us deactivated Facebook years ago to avoid fights and negativity that we think is closely associated with online media. We are not on insta as well. We only use whatsapp to stay in touch. We have known each other for quite some time and our family and friends know about our relationship. My family did not give me consent for marriage so after a very long wait, I have decided to do a civil marriage. That means, there will be no invitations, and fancy wedding party etc. We are planning to keep it discreet as we fear unnecessary drama in our families. So what do i do to prove that my relationship is genuine? I have email record where we exchanged our academic work, and CVs when we were searching for a job. We had some fights so of course we communicated on email if blocked on mobile :D and phone log from past two years. Gave gifts to each other that we ordered online. Just worried what can i attach with my marriage certificate that proves that our relationship is genuine. Need help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am getting married in July. So i was trying to collect pictures from the past as evidence but I have realized that I don't have many pictures of us together. Max 10. We are not on social media, as both of us deactivated Facebook years ago to avoid fights and negativity that we think is closely associated with online media. We are not on insta as well. We only use whatsapp to stay in touch. We have known each other for quite some time and our family and friends know about our relationship. My family did not give me consent for marriage so after a very long wait, I have decided to do a civil marriage. That means, there will be no invitations, and fancy wedding party etc. We are planning to keep it discreet as we fear unnecessary drama in our families. So what do i do to prove that my relationship is genuine? I have email record where we exchanged our academic work, and CVs when we were searching for a job. We had some fights so of course we communicated on email if blocked on mobile :D and phone log from past two years. Gave gifts to each other that we ordered online. Just worried what can i attach with my marriage certificate that proves that our relationship is genuine. Need help!
How much time have you spent together in person? How many visits after you have moved to Canada? Did you live in the same city before that and were you in a relationship during that time. Have you taken pictures together that aren’t on social media? Even pictures with other people included in the picture? Do you have a long text thread showing that you were in contact regularly and talk like a couple not colleagues since email sending CVs may lead to confusion about your relationship status. How small will your wedding be? Will you have any family there even if not close relatives? Will you have a celebration after the civil ceremony even if it is small like at a restaurant, backyard, etc.? Why are there no invitations even if online invitations? You are trying to prove wedding for sponsorship and you seem to be lacking a lot of evidence of a relationship so you should be doing things with sponsorship proof in mind.

Selma99

Sep 28, 2017
How much time have you spent together in person? How many visits after you have moved to Canada? Did you live in the same city before that and were you in a relationship during that time. Have you taken pictures together that aren’t on social media? Even pictures with other people included in the picture? Do you have a long text thread showing that you were in contact regularly and talk like a couple not colleagues since email sending CVs may lead to confusion about your relationship status. How small will your wedding be? Will you have any family there even if not close relatives? Will you have a celebration after the civil ceremony even if it is small like at a restaurant, backyard, etc.? Why are there no invitations even if online invitations? You are trying to prove wedding for sponsorship and you seem to be lacking a lot of evidence of a relationship so you should be doing things with sponsorship proof in mind.
We have been in a relationship for 10 years. Got Whatsapp chat history. Phone log also shows that we are regularly in contact with each other. Have emails as well. And my PR application for EE is already in process. I am not in Canada. We both live in same city. We are planning to get married in the presence of two witnesses. No relatives just our colleagues. We are not disclosing our marriage due to pressure from our families. That's why not possible to celebrate it but we are going to get married in the mountains where we will stay for few days. We both have jobs here and will eventually disclose this to our families but not immediately.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We have been in a relationship for 10 years. Got Whatsapp chat history. Phone log also shows that we are regularly in contact with each other. Have emails as well. And my PR application for EE is already in process. I am not in Canada. We both live in same city. We are planning to get married in the presence of two witnesses. No relatives just our colleagues. We are not disclosing our marriage due to pressure from our families. That's why not possible to celebrate it but we are going to get married in the mountains where we will stay for few days. We both have jobs here and will eventually disclose this to our families but not immediately.
All of this is up to you but to the extent you have time to prepare:
-ask your friends and family (the ones that you can anyway) if they have pictures of you two together. Will give you more to choose from. As you say you have friends/colleagues that know.
-if some friends approve of your wedding and can attend your civil ceremony and some celebration, it will strengthen your case. (Likewise those same friends might be able to provide eg a letter "I know them, they have been together for years, we have been at X events together with them as couple [dates, facts], awful their parents don't approve")
-if you have time spent together physically (vacation) as couple, also good evidence.

Good luck.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have been in a relationship for 10 years it is tough to reconcile that you have minimal pictures together. As already suggested I wouldsuggest having more people attend your wedding and I would also suggest having a small get together after the ceremony. Even if you had a small celebration after your wedding on another day that would be better than nothing. It can be simple and inexpensive but it is important to get her more proof of your wedding and relationship given your lack of evidence like pictures. Unfortunately you have to consider the visa officer exa ing your profile when planning your wedding and in general for your relationship. Going on a honeymoon, visiting your spouse during the sponsorship process, etc. and make sure to take pictures