+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of NOT having Canadian citizenship and changing citizenship while on PR

verter

May 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm rather in an uncommon situation and someone can have something to say.
So, I am currently holding PR status in Canada, I am a citizen of country A but consider changing my citizenship to country B. Country B has requested a proof of NOT having applied for Canadian citizenship. Does such document exist at all and how do I get it?

Also, does anyone think changing my citizenship would affect my Canadian PR status in any way?

Thank you all in advance.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
There is no document that states you haven't applied for citizenship, as far as I'm aware of. Getting a new citizenship for another country while you are already a PR will have no effect on your current PR status, but apparently you will not be allowed to also get Canadian citizenship once you've obtained it, so there is that.

The only thing you would need to do later when you renew your PR card, is you would need to make CIC aware of the citizenship and passport. Not giving them this information would be misrepresentation and could lead to you losing your PR status.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi everyone,

I'm rather in an uncommon situation and someone can have something to say.
So, I am currently holding PR status in Canada, I am a citizen of country A but consider changing my citizenship to country B. Country B has requested a proof of NOT having applied for Canadian citizenship. Does such document exist at all and how do I get it?

Also, does anyone think changing my citizenship would affect my Canadian PR status in any way?

Thank you all in advance.
It won't affect your PR status.

Regarding what you need: You need to apply for a search of citizenship record

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0058-application-search-citizenship-records.html

You will receive a document saying that IRCC has no records of you being a citizen/having received citizenship.

Note that processing time for this is 10 months.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The PR card itself is a proof you're not canadian.
Why wouldn't they accept it ?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Ah, ok, see, that is why I said "as far as I'm aware" ... ;)
I know ;) Just wanted to quote you somehow so that you will notice my post. Wasn't meant to be rude or anything :)

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The PR card itself is a proof you're not canadian.
Why wouldn't they accept it ?
He/She could technically have told IRCC that they lost their PR card. That way they didn't surrender it during the citizenship process. This is a constructed but possible scenario. So having a PR card is not conclusive proof that one isn't a citizen. Having a PR card only makes it very likely that you are not a citizen.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
He/She could technically have told IRCC that they lost their PR card. That way they didn't surrender it during the citizenship process. This is a constructed but possible scenario. So having a PR card is not conclusive proof that one isn't a citizen. Having a PR card only makes it very likely that you are not a citizen.
A bit far fetched but makes total sense :)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
A bit far fetched but makes total sense :)
Have you read some of the 'tricks' that some members on this forum have tried to 'outsmart' CIC when it comes to rules and regulations? LOL

Far fetched? Not around here ;)

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
It won't affect your PR status.

Regarding what you need: You need to apply for a search of citizenship record

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0058-application-search-citizenship-records.html

You will receive a document saying that IRCC has no records of you being a citizen/having received citizenship.

Note that processing time for this is 10 months.
Does this document also indicate whether a person has a Grant for Citizenship application in process or pending approval ? I can't seem to find that information.

From the OP, it seems that's what s/he needs.

Quink

Oct 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2015 (EP and UCI)
Med's Request
07-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015 (ECAS updated 20-05-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
IP update 26-8-2015, DM 14-9-2015, READY FOR VISA EMAIL 21-9-2015
LANDED..........
30-09-2015 (PR Card received 13-01-2016)
I'm not sure that there'd be any document available that would conclusively prove that someone had not applied for citizenship. Even if the search of citizenship records shows applications, there's still a 2+ month lag from submission to IRCC activating it in their systems.

The only thing I can thing of is if OP were to make an official sworn statutory declaration that they have not applied for citizenship.

It might help if OP were to let us know which countries they were referring to, rather than saying "Country A, Country B", etc. There might be people here who are familiar with the specifics and can let them know what kind of document that "Country B" is actually asking for.

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
but apparently you will not be allowed to also get Canadian citizenship once you've obtained it, so there is that.

is it true that having A and B citizenship result in not being able to obtain C (Canadian one)?
I think this statement is incorrect and it all depends on Immigration Law of A and B who may allow or disallow or conditionally allow..can an Expert confirm..

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
is it true that having A and B citizenship result in not being able to obtain C (Canadian one)?
I think this statement is incorrect and it all depends on Immigration Law of A and B who may allow or disallow or conditionally allow..can an Expert confirm..
Yes, this depends highly on countries A and B. For example, being from Germany myself, I had to ask the German government for permission to obtain Canadian citizenship before applying for it. Otherwise I would have lost my German citizenship the day I took the oath for the Canadian one.

There are countries like th UK or France or Canada who don't give a damn if you have 2 or 50 citizenships, and there are countries which are very restrictive (e.g. Austria, Japan) and then there are countries which don't allow it but introduced a new workaround (e.g. India).

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Does this document also indicate whether a person has a Grant for Citizenship application in process or pending approval ? I can't seem to find that information.

From the OP, it seems that's what s/he needs.
I don't think a pending citizenship application would appear in those records, but I would assume that country B would be fine with the confirmation that the OP didn't receive citizenship so far. I don't think they would be thaaaat nitpicky.

Disclaimer: If country B is North Korea, I retract all my statements ;-)