+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Marriage for Joint PR application

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am an MBA Student from Canada and I have recently graduated. I am planning to apply for my PR just after my marriage as I have more than enough points for the Express entry draw. I want to be the primary application and my soon to be wife would be dependent. She has also given IELTS and has 5 years of experience. I have calculated our joint CRS score and it is more than the cutoff.

My questions are:
1. What proof do I need to show for our marriage? Is a marriage certificate enough?
2. Do we also need give other proofs such as wedding invitation copy, photos etc?

The reason I am asking this is that we are not having a function due to COVID. It's just a couple of family members. So I am confused whether a marriage certificate would be enough or not.

Please let me know
Thank you!!
Ronit

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Marriage certificate with required signatures and stamps is fine. I am assuming you are getting married in India, if that is the case marriage certificate from respective government office would suffice.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Marriage certificate with required signatures and stamps is fine. I am assuming you are getting married in India, if that is the case marriage certificate from respective government office would suffice.
Thank you @starlordavuthu .
A couple of follow up questions:
1. Should my spouse change her name or address on her passport? I have heard some people suggesting this.
2. Our PR process might take time. I will apply for PR in a couple of months, so I was thinking that I should apply for her tourist/open work permit simultaneously. Can I apply for both Tourist visa and Open work permit at the same time?

Let me know.

Thanks,

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Thank you @starlordavuthu .
A couple of follow up questions:
1. Should my spouse change her name or address on her passport? I have heard some people suggesting this.
2. Our PR process might take time. I will apply for PR in a couple of months, so I was thinking that I should apply for her tourist/open work permit simultaneously. Can I apply for both Tourist visa and Open work permit at the same time?

Let me know.

Thanks,
1. Not necessary.
2. You can try for both, but approval chances are slim, I personally know few folks who tried this way and didnt work well for them.