+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of marital status

Priyanka1

Dec 3, 2017
I am separated from my husband for past 1 year and we have no plans of reconciliation. I want to move to canada. My CRS score is 438. I am hopeful of getting an ITA soon. But my major concern is that i do not have any kind of legal separation document and we haven't applied for divorce yet. Will an affidavit suffice to prove that i am separated from my husband? Or should i cancel my ITA till the time i do not get divorce and then apply again?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am separated from my husband for past 1 year and we have no plans of reconciliation. I want to move to canada. My CRS score is 438. I am hopeful of getting an ITA soon. But my major concern is that i do not have any kind of legal separation document and we haven't applied for divorce yet. Will an affidavit suffice to prove that i am separated from my husband? Or should i cancel my ITA till the time i do not get divorce and then apply again?
I'm assuming you are of Indian nationality.

An affidavit of separation will not work. You must apply for and get a decree of judicial separation issued by a competent court. The grounds for the judicial separation would depend on the marriage act under which your marriage took place. These grounds can be difficult to prove and/or may be limited (Read: The grounds may not include *marriage has irrevocably broken down for reasons like lack of compatibility*). So, you may/may not be successful in getting a decree of judicial separation.

IMO, if your marriage has broken down irrevocably, you must file for a divorce under mutual consent. This would be the quicker/better solution. If you were married as per the Hindu Marriage Act, the Family Court can waive off the six months waiting time for mutual consent

Priyanka1

Dec 3, 2017
Thanks a lot for your answer. I have one doubt. As per CIC website there is an option for marital status i.e. legally separated with below definition.
Legally Separated:

This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.

And i have made an express entry profile with Legally separated marital status. Though i have no proof of separation. Is it a problem?

Another thing-
Now since an affidavit would not work, i think i should decline my ITA(in case i get one) and i should re-apply after i get a decree of divorce. I am hoping that we file for divorce soon.

mathansri

Jan 28, 2018
Bangalore
Thanks a lot for your answer. I have one doubt. As per CIC website there is an option for marital status i.e. legally separated with below definition.
Legally Separated:

This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.

And i have made an express entry profile with Legally separated marital status. Though i have no proof of separation. Is it a problem?

Another thing-
Now since an affidavit would not work, i think i should decline my ITA(in case i get one) and i should re-apply after i get a decree of divorce. I am hoping that we file for divorce soon.
Hi Priyanka,

How did you proceed with this scenario?

Mathan