+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language while applying citizenship

Simran0589

Nov 22, 2021
Hi Everyone,

While applying citizenship, there is a requirement to provide proof of language. Since I don't have IELTS results, I provided bachelor and master degree certificate from India.
Though certificate is in English, it doesn't mention that language of study is English.

Would it work or do I still need to provide a letter?

P.S. I don't have transcript either. Just graduation and post graduation certificates and schooling was in Hindi language.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Everyone,

While applying citizenship, there is a requirement to provide proof of language. Since I don't have IELTS results, I provided bachelor and master degree certificate from India.
Though certificate is in English, it doesn't mention that language of study is English.

P.S. I don't have transcript either. Just graduation and post graduation certificates and schooling was in Hindi language.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#language

Examples of the types of language evidence that can be submitted include:
  1. You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad, including:
    1. A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
    2. If the original document is in a different language, include:
      • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with (including an official translation of the original document, if needed)
      • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi Everyone,

Your degree, even though in English, will not suffice. You will have to take a test for this, unless you can get the documents mentioned above by @abbas.pasha

Given the red tape involved in getting documents / attestations from India, time and money, you might be better off taking an exam locally and getting done with it. My wife took the exam as here as she was not required at the time of PR application for her.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

diamond2189

Jan 30, 2012
Category........
FAM
AOR Received.
27-05-2019
Hi Simran, Just asking for my wife. She is in the same situation. What you did to provide the proof of language?
Hi Everyone,

rashu268

May 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

Hello,

Did it work for you? I am in the same situation.