+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language for citizenship application

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
Hey everyone,

I've been here in Canada for 7+ years now and have been a PR long enough to apply. I'm getting all my documents in order and I have a question about my proof of language.

I'm a US citizen who completed high school, but did not complete university (due to the industry I'm in, portfolio and work experience is ranked much higher than education). I don't seem to have a copy of my high school diploma or transcript. I have my university transcript which indicates at the top my secondary/high school and graduation date. Will that work as enough proof? Or do I need to to start calling people to see how I can get a copy of my high school transcript or diploma from more than 15 years ago?

Thanks!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Brad Smith said:
Hey everyone,

I've been here in Canada for 7+ years now and have been a PR long enough to apply. I'm getting all my documents in order and I have a question about my proof of language.

I'm a US citizen who completed high school, but did not complete university (due to the industry I'm in, portfolio and work experience is ranked much higher than education). I don't seem to have a copy of my high school diploma or transcript. I have my university transcript which indicates at the top my secondary/high school and graduation date. Will that work as enough proof? Or do I need to to start calling people to see how I can get a copy of my high school transcript or diploma from more than 15 years ago?

Thanks!
If you have not completed your university course then you need to attach the copy of your secondary/high school. Here is the link for the instruction guide:

Read the section "2. Language proof if you are 18-64 years of age"

"Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.
Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document."

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get a photocopy of just my diploma that I will include in my application. Do I need to make sure I have the original with me when I go to the interview? If so, I'll have to get that mailed from my parents.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Brad Smith said:
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get a photocopy of just my diploma that I will include in my application. Do I need to make sure I have the original with me when I go to the interview? If so, I'll have to get that mailed from my parents.
Yes, all the originals are required during the interview whose copies are being submitted along with the application however it will depend on the cic officer whether he/she demands it or not.