Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
beckett said:
Dear All,
I have a question to ask.Last summer I mortgaged a house in Oakville, Ontario, with a 35% downpayment. I rented it out this April. Is that counted as part of POF? Should I inform the London visa office?
Beckett
While applying - YES.
While 'landing' - NO.

Qorax
Ps.: Wayne has opined correctly.

beckett

Mar 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/12/2009
AOR Received.
27/07/2010
Med's Request
22/02/12
Med's Done....
08/03/12
Passport Req..
12/10/2012
beckett said:
Thanks Wayne,
Yes, I just went 'In Process', the dubious one with RBVO details.
Could you just clarify a couple of other points?
1- Does money in my spouse's account count as far as pof is concerned? If so, I have no issues of liquid funds.
2- If I shift a major sum from one account into another one of mine (which was also mentioned in the initial application) is that ok?

Beckett
Quorax, can you comment on this?
Thanks,
Beckett

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
beckett said:
Thanks Wayne,
1- Does money in my spouse's account count as far as pof is concerned? If so, I have no issues of liquid funds.
2- If I shift a major sum from one account into another one of mine (which was also mentioned in the initial application) is that ok?

Beckett
Hi Beckett

1) Yes, as long as your spouse is accompanying you in your move to Canada - POF can be in the name of principal applicant, or accompanying spouse, or both.

2) It's fine - if CHC ask for statements you may have to show the statements for both accounts to explain where the large transfer came from. We recently sent additional proof of funds to CHC and the savings account was opened in our joint names, from an account originally in my own name - so we sent statements for both to explain where the initial amount came from. (We sent 3 valuations + mortgage statement with initial application, but have since saved up adequate liquid funds to complete record of landing without first having to sell the house so we figured it wouldn't hurt to send those extra proof of funds since they are liquid).

As a rule of thumb, any amounts over about £1000 they will be looking for an explanation as to where the funds came from. Their main concern is that this is your money and that it has not been borrowed.

Best of luck,
Wayne.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
beckett said:
Thanks Wayne,

Beckett
1. Yes, if she is party to your application.
2. Not a problem, as long as the funds r there somewhere.

Qorax

beckett

Mar 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/12/2009
AOR Received.
27/07/2010
Med's Request
22/02/12
Med's Done....
08/03/12
Passport Req..
12/10/2012
Cappuccino said:
Hi Beckett

1) Yes, as long as your spouse is accompanying you in your move to Canada - POF can be in the name of principal applicant, or accompanying spouse, or both.

2) It's fine - if CHC ask for statements you may have to show the statements for both accounts to explain where the large transfer came from. We recently sent additional proof of funds to CHC and the savings account was opened in our joint names, from an account originally in my own name - so we sent statements for both to explain where the initial amount came from. (We sent 3 valuations + mortgage statement with initial application, but have since saved up adequate liquid funds to complete record of landing without first having to sell the house so we figured it wouldn't hurt to send those extra proof of funds since they are liquid).

As a rule of thumb, any amounts over about £1000 they will be looking for an explanation as to where the funds came from. Their main concern is that this is your money and that it has not been borrowed.

Best of luck,
Wayne.
Wayne, thanks. This covers everything. :)
S Beckett

beckett

Mar 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/12/2009
AOR Received.
27/07/2010
Med's Request
22/02/12
Med's Done....
08/03/12
Passport Req..
12/10/2012
qorax said:
1. Yes, if she is party to your application.
2. Not a problem, as long as the funds r there somewhere.

Qorax
Thank you Quorax for answering. I like your precise answers. ;)
Beckett

Kiking

Star Member
Sep 2, 2010
Davao City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 1, 2009
Doc's Request.
Feb. 1, 2010
File Transfer...
June 4, 2010
Med's Request
August 11, 2010
Med's Done....
Sept. 06, 2010 (transmitted to CEM Sept. 11)
Interview........
waived (Thanks be to God)
Passport Req..
Oct. 22, 2010; sent Nov. 2, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Valid until Sept. 6, 2011 (based on the letter); DM on April 19, 2011
LANDED..........
in Winnipeg, Manitoba (June, 2011)
Hello Qorax,

My POF should be $11,115. Is it okay to bring half in cash CA$ and half is in my international atm card (BPI)? To prove that I have the other half in my Philippine peso account, I will bring together with my atm card my bank certificate showing the balance equivalent to the other half of my settlement funds. Please advice. Many thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Kiking said:
Hello Qorax,

My POF should be $11,115. Is it okay to bring half in cash CA$ and half is in my international atm card (BPI)? To prove that I have the other half in my Philippine peso account, I will bring together with my atm card my bank certificate showing the balance equivalent to the other half of my settlement funds. Please advice. Many thanks.
Not OK -- u r bound to get into trouble@the POE.
Qorax

Kiking

Star Member
Sep 2, 2010
Davao City
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 1, 2009
Doc's Request.
Feb. 1, 2010
File Transfer...
June 4, 2010
Med's Request
August 11, 2010
Med's Done....
Sept. 06, 2010 (transmitted to CEM Sept. 11)
Interview........
waived (Thanks be to God)
Passport Req..
Oct. 22, 2010; sent Nov. 2, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Valid until Sept. 6, 2011 (based on the letter); DM on April 19, 2011
LANDED..........
in Winnipeg, Manitoba (June, 2011)
thanks for the advice qorax. will just bring traveler's check then. God bless you!

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
qorax said:
Not OK -- u r bound to get into trouble @ the POE.
Qorax
Qorax - can I please ask. Our funds are currently in a UK joint bank account in GBP sterling. We will also have additional funds from selling our house, but we are planning to land and validate our visas prior to selling the house (unless we get a very quick sale).

Because of the currently poor exchange rate we'd prefer not to change all of our UK sterling into CAD unless we have to.

But I also heard you advise against bringing UK bank statements.

Can you advise of any way to show POF in Sterling in POE without having to get it changed into CAD (traveller's cheque, CAD bank account etc)?

Thanks,
Wayne.

jadwig

Star Member
Mar 12, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cappuccino said:
Qorax - can I please ask. Our funds are currently in a UK joint bank account in GBP sterling. We will also have additional funds from selling our house, but we are planning to land and validate our visas prior to selling the house (unless we get a very quick sale).

Because of the currently poor exchange rate we'd prefer not to change all of our UK sterling into CAD unless we have to.

Can you advise of any way to show POF in Sterling in POE without having to get it changed into CAD (traveller's cheque, CAD bank account etc)?

Thanks,
Wayne.
I landed Calgary in March. For this very reason of unfavourable exchange rates, I did not convert all my funds and used my Barclay bank statements as POF without problems. You can read my experience at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-experience-t66963.0.html;msg662702#msg662702. Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
jadwig said:
I landed Calgary in March. For this very reason of unfavourable exchange rates, I did not convert all my funds and used my Barclay bank statements as POF without problems. You can read my experience at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-experience-t66963.0.html;msg662702#msg662702. Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.
+1 for you, very helpful :)

Currently the plan is that when we land (hoping end of August) my wife will stay over in Canada looking for a job whilst I return to the UK to complete our house sale and tie up ends over here. Then once she has a job and our house is sold I will quit my job and then fly over.

So in the interim period we only want to take a small amount of our funds - maybe 30% or so - with us in Canadian dollars. It's just that Qorax and some other people advised against bank statements, but I can't see any other way of prooving currency without converting it to CAD (i.e. traveller's cheques etc).

Wayne.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Cappuccino said:

Thanks,
Wayne.
Bank statements r a big no-no for the settlement funds... the sole reason being the 'certainty' of those funds being 'actually' there in the a/c after the issuance of that statement.

Notwithstanding the above, it's known to have many landings, with that, w/out a prob... in fact my own friend did it too with a Stanchart statement... however, as it's not an accepted norm, what if? And if one BSO puts a spoke, what do we do? After that long flight do we go into the hassle of running pillar-to-post further? We might be let free by 'higher-ups', but what if we aren't? And the CBSA, under the IRPA, have full jurisdiction to 'deny' our entry due to shortage of funds! Read the ENF4 [Port of Entry Manual].

Thus, it's all about taking chances... some do, while some r averse to it!
I wouldn't.

I would rather bring in a Draft of the funds, take-it back with me, if I have to, and cancel it@my homeland... w/out actually depositing it anywhere.

By the way, CAD is unlikely to fall against other currencies in the near future. It has been steadily going-up since 2007, and moreso since 2009 w/out a decline!

Qorax

Pk09

Jul 26, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
qorax said:
Bank statements r a big no-no for the settlement funds... the sole reason being the 'certainty' of those funds being 'actually' there in the a/c after the issuance of that statement.

Notwithstanding the above, it's known to have many landings, with that, w/out a prob... in fact my own friend did it too with a Stanchart statement... however, as it's not an accepted norm, what if? And if one BSO puts a spoke, what do we do? After that long flight do we go into the hassle of running pillar-to-post further? We might be let free by 'higher-ups', but what if we aren't? And the CBSA, under the IRPA, have full jurisdiction to 'deny' our entry due to shortage of funds! Read the ENF4 [Port of Entry Manual].

Thus, it's all about taking chances... some do, while some r averse to it!
I wouldn't.

I would rather bring in a Draft of the funds, take-it back with me, if I have to, and cancel it @ my homeland... w/out actually depositing it anywhere.

By the way, CAD is unlikely to fall against other currencies in the near future. It has been steadily going-up since 2007, and moreso since 2009 w/out a decline!

Qorax
Nicely placed, tkx

Spree

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hi all, I sent POF together with my application. However, I have a relative who is ill and wants me to lend him some money. For the amount he wants I'll have to dip into these funds. Would I be asked to re-submit a bank statement before my visa is issued? I am sure that I will have the stated amount by the time I would have to land. My only fear is that should I lend him the money and a further statement is requested that my account may show I don't have the required funds. Also, if I only intend to land but move later to Canada, can I just have a bank draft to show at the airport then return home with it? Do I have to deposit it right away in a Canadian bank?

Thanks