FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
kazuhirowatanabe_30 said:
Qorax,

Just three quick questions:
1. Was/is there somebody you know wherein upon landing, their "actual" money or their proof of funds was counted by the immigration officer?
2. Are they really strict about this?
3. If I have my family in Canada, and my money, upon entering in Canada is less than the required actual amount by CAD $4,000. Do you think they will still be strict about this?

Thanks!
-Mine was checked [actually twice] and it was entered into their system under a printout to me.
-I'm also aware of many members in our friends-circle whose were checked as well.
-How strict would they be is anyone's guess. However there's one case [in the General forum of this site] who was denied entry.
-Which family? Your family will either be accompanying u or 'landing' later. Relatives' aren't considered unless u r under the FC stream.

Qorax

quincyays

Sep 8, 2011
qorax said:
Bank Draft/s : No Charges

For Travellers-Cheques here's an example:

RBC Royal Bank : Travellers Cheques
Table caption...................................Service Fee
Purchases of travellers cheques..........1.25% of total purchase for single signature
....................................................3% of total purchase for Canadian Gift-cheques
Encashment of travellers cheques.......$3.00 each

Qorax
thanks! much appreciated.. cheers!

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fareeha said:
Thanks Pittabread,
Will we get the landing card at Canadian Airport and fill it there, or we carry it with us?
Hi!

You will get the card on flight and also there will be plenty available on the airport. Better fill the card in flight.

Thanks

fareeha

Dec 29, 2009
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2008
Doc's Request.
17-03-2009
Nomination.....
26-06-2009
AOR Received.
nil
IELTS Request
sent with docs
File Transfer...
27-01-2011 to London
Med's Request
07-09-2011
Med's Done....
14-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 04-11-2011, PPR2 30-11-11
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
February 2012
pittabread said:
Hi!

You will get the card on flight and also there will be plenty available on the airport. Better fill the card in flight.

Thanks

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions. I have few more questions,
1..What is the maximum amount we [5 persons]can take along with us?
2..Since I don't have any problem if I get DD cashed after 1 month as I have my sister well settled there.So Keeping it in mind which format is better and cost effective, TC or DD? More over I don't have any bank A/C in Canada so who will be addressed on DD.
3..I have CAD 250,000 to transfer later on. How will I do it?

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
fareeha said:
2..Since I don't have any problem if I get DD cashed after 1 month as I have my sister well settled there.So Keeping it in mind which format is better and cost effective, TC or DD? More over I don't have any bank A/C in Canada so who will be addressed on DD.
Dear

1. No limit on maximum value.

2. Your choice. TT will be charged at the counter on encashment time where as DD charges will be from your existing bank (from where u will order DD). Your bank will draw DD in the name of their corresponding bank only in Canada. Your existing Bank will not be bothered about either u have any account in Canada or not. Once u open up the Bank account in your name in Canada, deposit the DD in your account. Your Bank will arrange remittance to your account as per the time lines involved i.e. 22 working days.

BTW, in my case, i applied for DD from my bank that was initially charged but later on waived due to account performance :D

3. Once u have bank account in Canada, get the account number, bank branch code, swift code, IBAN, address and phone number and share and order your existing bank in Pak (i believe u r from Pakistan) to arrange remittance to your Canadian Bank. This can either be done online or u have to arrange somebody in place (based on power of attorney) to act on your behalf. Transfer can be done within 72 hours max.

hope i was able to responde to your queries
gud luk
asyousuf

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fareeha said:
Hi!

Asyousuf has provided valuable suggestions above. I would like to add more....

1) There is no maximum limit that you can take. You only need to declare anything above $10,000.

2) DD can take longer to encash but charges will be less and conversely travellers cheque can be encashed quickly but charges will be more. So up to you to decide what to do but as you said you have a sister there so I would recommend DD.

I would like to clear your concept about how DD works. DD will be issued in your name and clearing bank will be in Canada and there is nothing to worry that you don't have bank account in Canada yet. When you will open an account in Canada later you can pay DD there. DDs are normally valid for six months.

3) To transfer $250,000 from your Pakistani account to Canadian bank depends what kinda account bank you have in Pakistan. If you have foreign currency account in Pakistan you can arrange wire transfer from your bank in Pakistan to Canada. But if you have rupee account then you will have to make a bank draft again.

If you need more assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

fareeha

Dec 29, 2009
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2008
Doc's Request.
17-03-2009
Nomination.....
26-06-2009
AOR Received.
nil
IELTS Request
sent with docs
File Transfer...
27-01-2011 to London
Med's Request
07-09-2011
Med's Done....
14-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
February 2012
Thanks Pittabread & Asyousuf ,
One question about unaccompanied baggage. I will just take crockery,shoes and clothing. What is proper way to book them via airline. I will be traveling via Qatar Air or Emirates. What are their charges.
I am from Karachi.

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
fareeha said:
One question about unaccompanied baggage. I will just take crockery,shoes and clothing. What is proper way to book them via airline. I will be traveling via Qatar Air or Emirates. What are their charges.
I am from Karachi.
Better do it through clearing forwarding agents for unaccompanied goods. They will arrange all for u
gud luk
asyousuf

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fareeha said:
I am from Karachi.
Qatar airways is cheaper than Emirates. You need to check with cargo. Here is the address for Qatar airways cargo. check with other air lines too like PIA or Emirates...

http://www.qrcargo.com/Contactus_Pakistan_Karachi.html

Karachi

Qatar Airways Cargo
Room No 5042, Level 5,
Jinnah International Airport, Karachi,
Pakistan

Telephone: +92 2199071538
Fax: +92 2199071539
KHIFZQR
Email: fkazi @ pk.qatarairways.com

PIA Cargo

http://www.piac.com.pk/pia_cargo/pia-Cargo_QnC.asp

If you have any questions about PIA Cargo’s services, rates, terms and conditions, or destinations, please feel free to call us or write to us.
Contact Information
CARGO CUSTOMER SERVICES CENTRE - PIA Head Office
Working hours 8:30 - 17:30 PST (+5GMT)
Phone: +(92-21) 904-3981 / 904-3982 / 904-3983
Fax: +(92-21) 904-4017
E-mail: cargo@piac.aero

Mailing Address:
Manager Cargo Customer Services Centre,
Cargo Division, PIA Head Office,
Quaid-e-Azam International Airport,
Karachi 75200, Pakistan.

Thanks

fareeha

Dec 29, 2009
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2008
Doc's Request.
17-03-2009
Nomination.....
26-06-2009
AOR Received.
nil
IELTS Request
sent with docs
File Transfer...
27-01-2011 to London
Med's Request
07-09-2011
Med's Done....
14-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
February 2012
pittabread said:
Qatar airways is cheaper than Emirates. You need to check with cargo. Here is the address for Qatar airways cargo. check with other air lines too like PIA or Emirates...

http://www.qrcargo.com/Contactus_Pakistan_Karachi.html

Karachi

Qatar Airways Cargo
Room No 5042, Level 5,
Jinnah International Airport, Karachi,
Pakistan

Telephone: +92 2199071538
Fax: +92 2199071539
KHIFZQR
Email: fkazi @ pk.qatarairways.com

PIA Cargo

http://www.piac.com.pk/pia_cargo/pia-Cargo_QnC.asp

If you have any questions about PIA Cargo's services, rates, terms and conditions, or destinations, please feel free to call us or write to us.
Contact Information
CARGO CUSTOMER SERVICES CENTRE - PIA Head Office
Working hours 8:30 - 17:30 PST (+5GMT)
Phone: +(92-21) 904-3981 / 904-3982 / 904-3983
Fax: +(92-21) 904-4017
E-mail: cargo @ piac.aero

Mailing Address:
Manager Cargo Customer Services Centre,
Cargo Division, PIA Head Office,
Quaid-e-Azam International Airport,
Karachi 75200, Pakistan.

Thanks
Pittabread
I really appreciate your gesture as information that u provided is going to save a lot of my time.
thanks

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fareeha said:
Pittabread
I really appreciate your gesture as information that u provided is going to save a lot of my time.
thanks
No problems..My pleasure....... :)

Akrum66

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
I have all my funds invested as Saving Certificates in Government National Saving Centre and as term deposit certificate in private banks, whether these original deposits Certificates in Pakistani Rupees will be acceptable as POF on landing in Canada or otherwise I shall have to make bank draft as was made for payment of immigration fees in Royal Bank of Canada in CAD$ or any other document from which bank in Pakistan which will be acceptable in Canada. and How I will be able to handle my deposits in Pakistan from Canada, as there is no Canadian Bank in Pakistan, and I don't know which Pakistani Bank is in Canada.

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akrum66 said:
I have all my funds invested as Saving Certificates in Government National Saving Centre and as term deposit certificate in private banks, whether these original deposits Certificates in Pakistani Rupees will be acceptable as POF on landing in Canada or otherwise I shall have to make bank draft as was made for payment of immigration fees in Royal Bank of Canada in CAD$ or any other document from which bank in Pakistan which will be acceptable in Canada. and How I will be able to handle my deposits in Pakistan from Canada, as there is no Canadian Bank in Pakistan, and I don't know which Pakistani Bank is in Canada.
Hi!

I am afraid they won't be acceptable at point of Entry in Canada. Yes you need to make a bank draft in your name and in Canadian dollars. You won't be able to handle your savings/ term deposits in Pakistan from Canada. If you want to use that money you need to en cash all of your saving certificates and term deposits.

Thanks

Akrum66

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
Requirement of funds by Dehli CHC
Acceptable proof of funds are:

-bank accounts in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
-cashable investments in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
-cashable fixed deposits in your name of the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner.

Comment of a member:

You are not required to carry your funds in cash when you arrive in Canada. You are, however, required to show documentary evidence that you have the funds available (in bank accounts or cashable investments), and that they can be transferred to Canada.

Comment of a member:

1. U can show proof of fund in any currency but should be equivalent to CHC specified value in CAD.
2. Ideally carry cash, Traveller's cheque or demand draft.
All u need to prove that amount shown as proof of funds is in your hand and being transferred or transferrable to canada.

Disclosure of funds according to CIC.

If you are carrying more than C$10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:
• cash
• securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
• negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bankers' drafts, cheques, travellers' cheques or money orders).

Summary:
So according to Dehli CHC Office Bank accounts, Cash able investments and fixed deposits are required as POF.

and according to CIC securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) are required as POF.

So, why my saving certificates and Term deposits in Public and Private banks do not come under the definition of securities in bearer form like stocks or bonds or fixed deposits or cashable investments and why I will have to encash all investment for Demand draft or Bank Draft.

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
Dear

If I m not wrong...u r confused in process.

For initial proof of funds...along with intial application, what ever u said is OK. Almost all can declared and claimed as your wealth strength. What was suggested to you earlier is required at the time of landing i.e.

"1. U can show proof of fund in any currency but should be equivalent to CHC specified value in CAD.
2. Ideally carry cash, Traveller's cheque or demand draft.

All u need to prove that amount shown as proof of funds is in your hand and being transferred or transferrable to canada."

Reason being is time involved in process. Early stage is to prove that you are good enough and assure that u have liquidity (convertible into cash) and transferrable to Canada. Final stages or at landing, applicant has to prove that what ever claimed is actually now available (in most liquidable form) with applicant. The forms suggested above (there are hardly one or two more ways like bank statement of Canadian bank but not those that you are counting on) are the ones acceptable to Canadian IO at the time of landing and none other.

Members please correct me if wrong.
regards,
asyousuf