+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of income - Reassesment

JuanDLink

May 15, 2018
Good afternoon all.

We may apply to bring my in-laws, but we are $600 short one year on tax income. We were wondering, if we do a reassesment of our taxes on that year, will that be valid as a proof of income?

Also, our daughter was born in 2019, do we need to show proof of her in 2018, when she didn't exist? (because then we would be short 9K on 2018).

Thanks!

Ottawagal

Aug 18, 2019
Your family size only includes your daughter from the year she was born so 2019 onward.

I'm not precisely sure how a reassessment would help as it is based on your gross income unless you are somehow finding undeclared income...

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Good afternoon all.

We may apply to bring my in-laws, but we are $600 short one year on tax income. We were wondering, if we do a reassesment of our taxes on that year, will that be valid as a proof of income?

Also, our daughter was born in 2019, do we need to show proof of her in 2018, when she didn't exist? (because then we would be short 9K on 2018).

Thanks!
Regardless whether you are applying to sponsor your in laws, you should request for a reassessment on your taxes on that year where you failed to declare income earned. Do this to avoid further interest charges. with CRA.

Reactions: Ottawagal

JuanDLink

May 15, 2018
Regardless whether you are applying to sponsor your in laws, you should request for a reassessment on your taxes on that year where you failed to declare income earned. Do this to avoid further interest charges. with CRA.
Thanks, I didn't hide anything from the CRA, I am just saying that I am short $600 on the yearly income, and I wouldn't mind bumping it up (and paying some taxes) just to be approved in case they select us.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Thanks, I didn't hide anything from the CRA, I am just saying that I am short $600 on the yearly income, and I wouldn't mind bumping it up (and paying some taxes) just to be approved in case they select us.
Just to clarify, you declared the correct figures for gross income and want to change that to a figure that is $600 higher for that year for the sole purpose of qualifying to sponsor your in laws?

Ottawagal

Aug 18, 2019
If you did not actually make enough income to meet the eligibility requirements then declaring income you didn't actually make to make it look like you did sounds like misrepresentation at the very least if not tax fraud to boot. Wouldn't reccomend doing that

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
That's an idea that many have mooted here. It makes sense really doesn't it?

IRCC says oh you need $X for 2018, $Y for 2019, $Z for 2020.

I have $X-600 for 2018, $Y+450 for 2019, $Z-900? for 2020.

Why don't I just call CRA and say "hey I forgot to declare $600 in 2018 can I declare it now and pay the taxes on it?"

That way I qualify for 2018! Voila!

Brilliant! And so many have thought of it.

Funny thing though we never heard back from any of those blokes who had this idea.

Let us know if it works out for you.

Best of luck!

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Thanks, I will look for previous posts
If you think about it, if this was allowed then why would there be any concern at all with how much people earned in 2018, 2019, 2020?

The instructions would just say that you can retrospectively declare the amounts required and pay the required taxes.

From what I have understood from accountants and lawyers is that this is fraud.

We might think that CRA would be more than happy to collect more taxes from us for previous years when we declare it voluntarily. But CRA would look at it, hey why did this guy not declare that $600 in Year X? What about Years preceding? You might get audited for previous years. While you might have nothing to hide for previous years no one wants to go through an audit.

However the law is a different beast - it's called fraud. In law, fraud is intentional deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. Falsely declaring that you earned more money by $600 in Year X just so you meet the qualifications to sponsor for PGP, that's pretty close to it dont you think?

Now it's a different story if you really did forget about $600 in year X and now want to come clean about it with CRA. Even then CRA might start to open a file to audit you too.

So be careful with opening Pandora's box.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You can only "bump up" your income with REAL income.

If you increase your income with makeup amount, you are performing a tax fraud. Be prepared if they found out and audit all your previous tax return filed.

Reactions: nayr69sg

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And also lets say you realized you should of gotten income from doing god knows what back in that year, you’ll be paid now . It’s not when income is earned , it’s when it’s paid . So if you get paid now for something you did a couple years ago , it’ll be declared on this tax year, not in the tax year you want to fiddle with.
I tell yah the webs people weave, don’t start making up income to suit yourself , so you can qualify for a program . The rules are there for a REASON. To ensure you can actually afford the individuals YOU want to sponsor, and that you don’t end up offloading the individuals on the Government because you can’t afford them .That’s just wrong no matter how one looks at it .
Adding, you don’t think the Government will look at individuals closely who are close to the income cut off , who miraculously “
Find” income to report ? Seriously. It’s not there first time at the rodeo . They know how people think, and unfortunately they are usually right .

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123 and nayr69sg

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's an idea that many have mooted here. It makes sense really doesn't it?

IRCC says oh you need $X for 2018, $Y for 2019, $Z for 2020.

I have $X-600 for 2018, $Y+450 for 2019, $Z-900? for 2020.

Why don't I just call CRA and say "hey I forgot to declare $600 in 2018 can I declare it now and pay the taxes on it?"

That way I qualify for 2018! Voila!

Brilliant! And so many have thought of it.

Funny thing though we never heard back from any of those blokes who had this idea.

Let us know if it works out for you.

Best of luck!
Because that is a crime called tax fraud.

Reactions: YVR123