+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Hi

Can you please let me know if bank statement for the current month is enough as a proof of funds?

Thanks

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
No. You will need to submit your bank statements for at least a duration of 6 months.
Check this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
Under Proof of Funds section in the above link, you will see that IRCC requires the 'average balance for 6 months'. This enables the assessing officer to see if any major funds have been deposited to bulk up the balance in the last 6 months or that the balance has been relatively stable and exceeds the minimum funds required by IRCC. This in no way means that no deposits are permitted, but that if a legitimate deposit is seen, you should explain it in your letter of explanation.
Most banks do not provide the 'average balance' figure in the proof of funds letter so its safer to provide bank statements for the last 6 months so that the assessing officer can review it himself.

Reactions: dadofethan

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Thank you. My bank account is opened 4 months ago. I can provide only for months back. Is it OK?

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Thank you. My bank account is opened 4 months ago. I can provide only for months back. Is it OK?
Sure. Go ahead and provide a statement for four months. Make sure you clarify that the source of funds with which you opened the account in your letter of explanation.

Reactions: niko80